What's new

Recommended Blade for Superspeeds and Tech

Thanks! Would those blades work well with those razors even with sensitive skin?
I would say that would be more down to your pre shave routine, whatever soap or cream you choose, and technique.

If you are already shaving successfully with sensitive skin, then you have solved the issue.

These are all effective but forgiving razors, the blue may be a touch mild, maybe like a 1-3 setting on a 50's - 60's Gillette adjustable but this blade pairing should get the most out of them. Sharp yet smooth blades and very well liked here.

That is just my opinion.

The razors listed are normally fairly mild. If you had a Red Tip SS, it would be more aggressive. They should work well with super sharp blades like BIC, Nacet, Permasharp, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Personna Platinum and Wilkinson Sword Classic. If you do not have a tough beard and do not need super sharp blades, then blades like Gillette Platinum, Wizamet, Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock green, Astra Superior Stainless blue, and Rapira Platinum Lux might work just as well. They are almost as sharp as the ones listed previously.

I've got a 40's SS, a 60's SS and a 40's Fat handle Tech. I have a light beard and fair complexion. I can hardly tell the difference in any of them re: blades. I've got Feathers, Personna Labs, Astra SPs, Silver Blues, Wilkinsons, Derbys, PolSilver Iridiums, Kais, and a few others. To me, it boils down to prep and technique with any of my razors. All of these razors are more aggressive than my two ball end Techs and AS-D2. Whatever blade I'm using in them will require a slightly lighter touch and proper angle. I don't know how so many of you can be so specific and studied when it comes to what blade in what razor. I have no feel for it (no pun intended). All I can confidently do is note which razor is more aggressive or mild. The one thing I typically do is keep the Feathers for the AS-D2 or ball end Techs, as well as the 195.

I use Lord family blades exclusively. My Gillettes all pair beautifully with Lord Plats, Rainbow stainless or Shark Chromes.
By all means never use a Feather blade. Too sharp for all but the mildest of razors and they dull quickly.

I use Lord family blades exclusively. My Gillettes all pair beautifully with Lord Plats, Rainbow stainless or Shark Chromes.
By all means never use a Feather blade. Too sharp for all but the mildest of razors and they dull quickly.
I like the Lord Platinum (and Shark Platinum blades, which I suspect are the same blades in different packaging). The Shark Super Chrome, however, are not sharp enough for tough beards.

I'd say go for sharp blades like - Nacet, Perma-Sharp, Feather, KAI, Personna Lab Blue, BIC Chrome Platinum etc, but that's what I would use. For you, less sharper blades might work as well and you might like them more, so use what you currently have and if you don't have a lot of blades, then buy a blade sample that contains mid, moderate and very sharp blades and find out what works for you. Blades like pretty much everything else in shaving are a very personal thing and the only way to find out is to try them for yourself.

I actually didn't get along with GSBs or Astra SPs. I did find that I liked the KCGs and the Wizamets. But if you want to go off the beaten path, try a Tatra Platinum, and as mentioned above, I liked the Shark Platinum.

Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette Platinums, Gillette Perma-Sharps, Personna Lab/Med Prep and Wizamet Iridiums is what I normally in any of my razors.

I would start with the iridiums for the 40's fat handle tech. I haven't used a blue tip in a long time. For the 40's super speed I would start with the GSBs or Platinums as they are the "mildest" blade of the 5 above.

Top Bottom