What's new

Recommended blade for a 1930 Gillette NEW De Luxe?

I recently acquired this 1930 NEW De Luxe Big Boy. I love the razor's feel and weight, but I'm still getting used to it -- it's my first open comb. I'd say it's pretty aggressive, yet very effective. I am finding it hard to avoid nicks and weepers, especially with XTG and ATG passes. It does seem like more of a 25-degree angle is best with this particular tool.

For those of you who have shaved with a Gillette NEW De Luxe, I'm curious as to what blades you would suggest. I have a coarse beard with sensitive skin, and I started out using a Nacet blade with this razor. Now, I've switched to an Astra SP, which is a bit smoother, but I find that I still have to be pretty careful... and take it slow.

Which blade do you think would give me the right balance of smoothness and sharpness?
1930 Big Boy.jpg

Try a Personna -- they tend to be stiffer than what you've tried, and it looks like that razor clamps the blade like a New Long Comb -- rather far back from the edge (unlike the short comb version). The razor looks to be in good shape, but check to make sure the cap is smooth on the inside and there isn't a bump somewhere causing the blade to be loosely clamped -- a vibrating blade will feel very rough! I know, one of my FatBoy's had a tendency to un-clamp in use.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have some Personnas, so I'll give one a try. The razor is in quite good condition and there doesn't seem to be any irregularities on the cap or base plate. There is feedback when I shave, but the blade doesn't seem to vibrate or chatter.

It may have more blade exposure than you are used to, and you may have to adjust your technique accordingly. I've not used one, just a quick test on a New long comb (similar but later version), and all the old Gillette razors have more blade exposure than modern ones I think.

Shallow angle and light pressure -- I use my Adjustables at 7.

Definitely more blade exposure! I do need to modify my technique with this razor. Using a 30-degree or slightly more angle seems to get me into trouble pretty fast.

The New Deluxe is my all time favorite razor. And I find it to provide the best combination of efficiency and comfort. As your technique improves so too will your shaves with it. I use Gillette Silver Blues and Polsilver Super Iridiums in mine with fantastic results.

I have some GSBs as well as some Polsilvers. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try them! I agree, the NEW Deluxe is a fantastic shaver... I just have to get better at using it!

Ride the cap, very shallow angle. You want the edge to be angled so that the bevel toward the skin clears by a few degrees. The blade is held flatter in that razor (and all the older Gillettes) than modern ones, so you will have to raise the handle away from your face more.

Nobody has your face, so you'll probably just have to try out a bunch of blades.

A blade that works for me in my deluxe, may not treat you well at all.

I like to start with the "top 10" sampler from tryablade.

(Sent from mobile)

Nobody has your face, so you'll probably just have to try out a bunch of blades.

A blade that works for me in my deluxe, may not treat you well at all.

I like to start with the "top 10" sampler from tryablade.

(Sent from mobile)

+1! For me, a new razor means that I need to revisit my blade options! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats on the big boy, they are a great razor! I've been using new Deluxes of various types for a few months now, using Lord Platinum and Feather blades because it's what I have on hand. I find the sharper the blade the better, but YMMV

Thanks! I feel like the Feather might be too much for my face right now, before I've developed a better technique. And yeah, I just marvel at the great design of the New De Luxe Big Boy. Beautiful too.

Top Bottom