What's new

Recommendations

So I’m steadily working on getting my shaving kit and technique worked out. I got started with artofmanliness (which is what pointed me here) and various other resources (including an experienced-looking Scotsman who made a tutorial video on wet shaving for Executive Shave Club). Got a basic shaving kit from Bespoke Post, which included a Maapilim safety razor, shaving cream, and alum block, a Baxter of California Best Badger shaving brush from as well as a smooth, thin Barber towel, five Astra Superior Stainless blades, and five Astra Superior Platinum blades.

From there, I replaced the cream with Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap (and figured out how to properly lather it thanks to this forum, as it is a bit tricky), and replaced the Astras with Kai because I can’t stand the Blade Mounting Jelly. It bugs me, I think it’s a magnet for moisture retention and thus pathogen and mold growth, and it’s a pain in the butt to clean off of my safety razor head.

Now, I come to this board in search of a solution to another couple problems:

1: Kai blades feel a whole lot less forgiving of too much pressure than Astras. I love the sharpness and the glorious lack of blade mounting jelly, but my first shave with a Kai left me feeling raw, like I had been using way too much pressure the whole way - whereas Astras left me feeling fine.

While I understand and concede that a big part of this is my newbie technique, are there safety razor holders that mitigate this?

2: Grip.

Simply put, the Maapilim’s mirror finish looks great but I found myself getting extremely nervous about it slipping in my fingers after I had properly lathered my soap. Rinsing with water didn’t help - I had to stop in the middle of my shave several times to rinse and dry my hands and the handle... otherwise, I found myself gripping the darn thing like I was rock climbing.

Not pleasant - I’d like to avoid forearm cramps during my shave, thanks. I’d also be willing to bet my death-grip is at least partially responsible for the raw feeling I had after this last shave.

What safety razor’s have a good handle to avoid slickness and slipping even while wet or soapy?

And are there any razors that help with both of these issues?

KAI blades are slightly wider than other blades. Because of this you get slightly more blade exposure when using KAI blades. You will have to slightly adjust the angle when using these blades. With all blades you should try to avoid pressure, not only with KAI blades. My experience is that there is no DE razor allowing one to use pressure. Cartridges with multiple blades allow a little bit of pressure because the pressure is divided on several edges. With a DE you have only one edge and whatever pressure you add will end up on this edge.

My favorite handle is the lightweight aluminum handle of Saiver razors. I have been buying extra Saiver razors (they are around $10 shipped from ebay) just to get their handles. This handle got really good grip and will fit well with slimmer heads. With big heavy heads they do not work well because of the balance. Personally (and YMMV) I find that light combinations (slim heads + light handle) helps me to avoid pressure. Many times the weight of modern razors is already too much pressure. In the past the razors were often more light than the heavy razors of today.

Last edited:
I would say the Merkur Futur was the closest I ever got to a razor that could be handled badly (ie excess pressure) whilst still giving a relatively pain free shave. It is expensive though (relatively anyway). I have ordered some Chinese versions which were discussed on this forum a while back to see how they are, but I could definitely recommend the futur as very forgiving.

You might also want to try other blades, such as Gillette 7o’clock or Nacet blades. You can often get ballade samplers on eBay and other places to give you a range to try. I do like Gillette Silver Blue blades a lot but they can feel a little rough in some razors.

In terms of slippery handles, I guess anything with a pattern on the handle would do. I am not familiar with the razor you have now but if it is a 3 piece (ie handle comes off) then you could get a cheap eBay razor like a Merkur copy or something and use the handle off that.

I have just done that with an iKon SBS head that I bought where I used a black razor handle off a cheap-ish eBay razor.

<Snip>
1: Kai blades feel a whole lot less forgiving of too much pressure than Astras. I love the sharpness and the glorious lack of blade mounting jelly, but my first shave with a Kai left me feeling raw, like I had been using way too much pressure the whole way - whereas Astras left me feeling fine.

While I understand and concede that a big part of this is my newbie technique, are there safety razor holders that mitigate this?

By safety razor holders, do you mean what holds the blades? If so, just to avoid confusion, "razor" generally refers to the holders in these forums and "blades" refer to the actual cutting piece. A safety razor holder is something similar to a toothbrush holder. I would recommend buying several individual blades from Razor Blade Club. If set on replacing the razor, I personally like the Weishi 9306, or its rebrands like the Van der Hagen TTO.

2: Grip.

Simply put, the Maapilim’s mirror finish looks great but I found myself getting extremely nervous about it slipping in my fingers after I had properly lathered my soap. Rinsing with water didn’t help - I had to stop in the middle of my shave several times to rinse and dry my hands and the handle... otherwise, I found myself gripping the darn thing like I was rock climbing.

You can use the alum in the kit on your fingertips to improve the grip on the razor. Any of a variety of razors with knurled handles will also alleviate the issue. Or just replacing the handle if it is a 3-piece razor.

As a thought, if it is a 3-piece, buy a 3-piece slant. You can then give a slant a try, and/or use the handle with your original razor.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your progress!!

I second the vote on the Merkur 34C which has a fine grip IMO.

I find Kai blades a bit too sharp and unforgiving. I don’t mind wax, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt (or wax). My top choices (in no particular order):
Nacet
GSB
Astra SP
Personna reds
Personna labs.

Maggard has some very good handles that are very affordable, then you can match your Maapilim head on that.

KAI blades are great, IMO, but you will need to get used to them. Adjusting your angle should help.

I find they pair well with my Gillette Superspeeds (TV Special and Black Tip).

You might also want to get a blade sampler pack to see which blades you like.

As is the case, YMMV.

Will a non-adjustable head go on a handle of an adjustable razor? I am not ready to start playing with that variable yet. I’m trying to take this one step at a time, y’know? So if something doesn’t work well, I know exactly what the problem is.

As for blades - I looked around here (for quite some time) and found that Kai’s were the most consistently praised blade with no wax. I also kinda wanted to avoid Russian blades because I’d rather not give my money to that country, and the only US blades I could find were Personna, which have two blade types which seem to be the same blade in different packages, both with quality control issues up the wazoo. So I went with Kai.

If there’s a sample pack limited to non-Russian blades with no wax, I’d give that a shot. :p

The site I suggested above allows you to pick blade by blade, or tuck by tuck, what you want. It is priced accordingly though. They sell in larger quantities at a good price.

This is the only razor I could find by Maapilim :Safety Razor

It appears to be a 2 or 3 piece razor, which is why I suggested changing handles, and probably others. I have no idea whether an adjustable handle is interchangeable, most I think aren't easily taken apart, so I wouldn't recommend doing that!

I suggested a slant because often a handle runs close to what a complete razor costs.

Yeah, that’s the one. Mine’s silver, though.

And yeah, it’s a 3-piece.

I’m already perusing the Razor Blade Club link, thanks :)

Top Bottom