What's new

Recommendations

I'm still using a cartridge at the moment until I decide what to get, I would like a vintage gillette but frankly I have no idea. I like the idea of an adjustable for a newbie but no one else seems to because if the "fiddle" factor. I just thought if I kept it on one setting for a couple of weeks until I had my technique sorted then that would be fine.

I'm still using a cartridge at the moment until I decide what to get, I would like a vintage gillette but frankly I have no idea. I like the idea of an adjustable for a newbie but no one else seems to because if the "fiddle" factor. I just thought if I kept it on one setting for a couple of weeks until I had my technique sorted then that would be fine.

Not to promote my own sales, but this is a super nice setup for a newbie, at a very reasonable price:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100046

I simply love the red finish on this razor.

By the way, the Merkur 38C is the same razor as the Merkur 34C, but with a longer handle, which is perfect if you have bigger hands.

--

I would have to agree with not recommending an adjustable for a newbie.

You really need to shave with the same setup for at least a month (or more) to develop your technique, and the temptation is too great to continually turn the adjustable up to high, which is a guaranteed recipe for irritation, and razor burn; especially when you are honing your technique, and have not yet full learned what "no pressure" means. :eek::eek:

Other recommendations, besides a Merkur, are a vintage Gillette Tech, or Gillette Superspeed. Both are excellent quality razors, which are fairly mild.

I like the idea of an adjustable for a newbie but no one else seems to because if the "fiddle" factor. I just thought if I kept it on one setting for a couple of weeks until I had my technique sorted then that would be fine.

If you can not fiddle for the first couple of weeks you should be fine.

See my sig for the most common (ly confused ) adjustables :001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you want an adjustable, get an adjustable.
Follow the others advice on keeping the setting low till you figure things out.
If you get adventurous and dial it up before your ready you'll see that they were right. Nicks heal and sometimes painful ones are the best lessons.
In any case, if you get into this "hobby" you'll soon have an adjustable anyway once RAD kicks in.

Top Bottom