What's new

Recommendations with blades for GEM Micromatic

Just picked up a GEM Micromatic off Ebay as part of a nostalgic purchase in remembrances of my grandfather who use to use one of these and a straight. I have no clue regarding blades and wondering if Gem blades have same range of quality/sharpmess as DE blades. Is there a recommended blade(s) to use with any GEM razor? Example being a Derby is not as sharp as a Feather in DE blades or will a GEM blade at Walgreens be as good as lets say a Treet? By the way Treet DE that I have tried are near the bottom of the list for shave quality for me.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I've used both the GEM PTFE and GEM Stainless. Both worked well for me. I've also used the GEM Blue Stars, but didn't care much for the maintenance required to keep the blade from rusting.

Took a look over at Connaught and great prices on the PTFE's and they have an Omega Brush I have been looking at a great price so buying 100 PTFE and the Omega 11126 Boar brush. Be my first Boar other than cheapie I used 20+ years ago, but I do have Semogue SOC in Ash coming too that was sent as Christmas gift but lost in mail so another has been sent as replacement.

Thanks for everyone's help!

The GEM blades at Connaught come in highly and widely recommended.

+1. If you order them by the 10-pack they come in these cool clear plastic cubes that serve as dispensers and used blade storage. You can also buy boxes of 100.

Razor Blades & More also sells them, I think, but only in boxes (not the plastic cube dispenser/blade bank)

Top Bottom