What's new

Recommendations/Opinions- From THIS list...

I decided not to get a soap I have to send away for. I'm using Prorason Green, and Cremo, my latest combo, rather than using just one, is to put a very small dollop of Cremo onto the Proraso. I"m mildly satisfied, but as I'm lined up to get a new razor (which brought me back to this forum after years away, and here I am almost totally addicted again, and no, I am not going to buy a soap sampler.

Anyway. I don't want another drugstore soap, and took a look at what barbershops/beauty shops/etc had for products. At one point in time it was spare pickings. Anyway, there is a number of ones out there that I have never heard of, and haven't really seen in my time on here, previously or now. I think a lot are re-branded or boutique, and a couple are aimed at women, so less likely to show up here.

Rules: Just give me any info you have (doesn't have to be personal, news around town is fine too) on any of these, and rank if you wish. I don't want recommendations for stuff I can't find around in the shops. Maybe some other time, for now, I just want what I can go and pick up. I like soaps that are a little slippy, I'm bigger on a wet lather that is a bit floppy than a stiff hold a peak style. They are in order of price, in Canadian dollars. Oh, and you can also, if you wish, just weigh in on bar soap/soft soap/creams/gels preferences. I lean towards soft soap, like Proraso, but I've done bars and creams, so open minded about it all. I don't think different scents matter, but I added them in anyway.

eShave – Shave Cream – White Tea -113 grams - $30
Henri et Victoria – Unscented Shave Soap – 114 grams/14 ounce - $25
Weleda – For Men Smooth Shave Cream – 25fl ounc/75 ml - $25
Soapstones – Shaving Butter – White Tea & Ginger – 250 ml - $20
Buck Naked Soap Company – Glacial Clay Shaving Soap – 118 ml - $19
Well Kept – Citrus Shave Soap – no indication of size, its square) - $18
Lamazuna – Shaving Bar with Shea Butter - Tea Tree & Lemon – no indication of size - $18
Dr. Bronner’s Shaving Gel – Tea Tree – no indication of size - $15
Andalou – Men Smooth Glide Shave Cream -6 fl oz/178 ml - $15
Birch Babe – Shave Bar - Dave in the City – no indication of size - $12
Annointment – Shave Soap – 120 grams/42 ounces - $8

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've never heard of or seen any of the items you listed.
Either it's a Canadian thing or just not popular here, and I frequently look in the brick and mortar drug stores and beauty supply shops.
I do know that around here the beauty shops sometimes have Clubman shaving soap which is ok.
DON'T get the Clubman cream, it's pretty horrible IMHO.

That list sucks in my opinion. Ive heard of two and they both are not worth buying. Get out the creditcard and order on-line. At least then you wont be bottom feeding for soap.

BTW, a dolip of proaso ontop of Williams almost make a decent soap. Its too bad a person has to mix soaps to get anywhere.

To each there own I guess.

Either it's a Canadian thing or just not popular here, and I frequently look in the brick and mortar drug stores and beauty supply shops.
I do know that around here the beauty shops sometimes have Clubman shaving soap which is ok.
They are all from beauty supply stores, or actual barber shops that sell supplies. I might go around/call to some of the shops that don't have websites, to see if they carry supplies. Some of the shops are one up family owned, and some are small chains, which also might make a difference to what they carry.

I wish you well... Where we live, there are no places to buy anything. We have to order anything decent.

Sorry I'm so unhelpful, but I was serious... I wish you well on your quest.
Thanks. Some shops don't have a website, so I might call/visit to see if they carry anything. If not, I'll go online. Partly it was to also support small businesses, and the ease of not having to worry about packages. Regular mail isn't a problem, but delivery services are a pain where I live. Thanks for the wishes. I came back to this site needing razor help, and not unexpectedly, after an absence, and getting the hobby/collecting bug. But, I really am trying to stick to what I need/use (yes, yes, those with over a hundred razors, and fifty soaps, and thirty types of blades 'need/use' them, but you get my drift). :) I'll probably post a thread when I get the soap situation sorted.

That list sucks in my opinion. Ive heard of two and they both are not worth buying. Get out the creditcard and order on-line. At least then you wont be bottom feeding for soap.

BTW, a dolip of proaso ontop of Williams almost make a decent soap. Its too bad a person has to mix soaps to get anywhere.

To each there own I guess.
If you don't mind saying, which were the two you've heard of? At least with the Proraso/Cremo I have something that seems a better combo for me, so my technique has improved. I think I'm probably someone that will do better with soft soaps/cremes.

It's not a Canadian thing.

I have no idea who any of those soap makers are and wouldn't chose any of them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Fendrihan, Italian Barber & Top of the chain are the three big online shaving retailers in Canada. Fendrihan and Razorock I have done business with and are top notch with no issues with shipping. Fendrihan is the cheapest for shipping(minimum amount for free shipping$50 Canadian or American), they have a lot of different products in soap and should be able to help you.

I know they aren't highly regarded on B&B, but Connaught shaving is a fabulous vendor for shipping soaps to Canada for minimal shipping charge....even 1 or two soaps.

I got my PdP off amazon.ca for cheap. I've also purchased AoS creams via Amazon.ca

Top Bottom