What's new

Recommendations on a straight razor?

I've used a straight razor on and off over the years. The one I have is a cheapo. I don't use it a lot because 1.) Don't always have the time and this is not something to rush :smile: 2.) Because it's a cheapo, it isn't exactly the best shave; even with proper maintenance.

Anyone have an recommendations? I should mention I had a full beard, but I shave around it every day to keep it trim looking. Not sure if that matters.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. no replies to my fogless mirror query. Anyone know if these are worth a go: http://store.clubmanonline.com/showertek.html

Yeah. Guy I used to kayak with had to wear goggles on the river, and who spit on them to keep the fog off (it's a real problem for WW kayakers with glasses).

Also, I've heard that the rain/for free products for car winshields work pretty well for this.

Thanks for the great replies. Will have to check out those straight razors.

LOL, never considered spit. I suppose that does make sense though not sure I'd want to try it.

Tried the RainX and FogX stuff that are for autos, but didn't have any luck. I'm guessing because there is a plastic piece in front of the actual mirror, the RainX can't do it's trick.

Thanks again for the info & the welcome.

Hello Hyrum,

I recommend Thiers Issard straight razors, the Eagle line (knifecenter.com) or the Wolf and Ram line (Classicshaving.com). They are lead hardened, hand crafted and know no equal in their edge taking abilities. Have it honed by an expert, you won't regret it.

Chris

EL Alamein said:
Hello Hyrum,

I recommend Thiers Issard straight razors, the Eagle line (knifecenter.com) or the Wolf and Ram line (Classicshaving.com). They are lead hardened, hand crafted and know no equal in their edge taking abilities. Have it honed by an expert, you won't regret it.

Chris

I second that recommendation. The steel used in a straight razor makes all of the difference in how it performs and how easy it is to hone. However, if you are a really good honemeister you can make the cheapest stainless steel blade perform very well. So I would ask you to re-look at this before you spend major $$$ on some TI's. I would hate for you to come to the same frustration after such a large purchase. Honing and stroping have to be an enjoyable hobby for you and takes a lot of T&E to learn to get it to the zen level- however anyone with enough patience can learn. There are two schools here: the Norton 4000/8000 + strop crowd and the multiple paste on woodbacked leather strops crowd. I kind of use a mix of both. Others that don't have the patience for this but want to use straights can utilize the services of a hone meister like Lynn Abrams (classicshaving.com) or purchase Feather straight disposable razors.

I think Dovo and TI both make great straights. My go-to blade is a new old stock french point revisor from http://www.shavingshop.com/index.php
Nothing fancy, but a great blade that holds its edge well. I've got about 1/2 a dozen other straights that I could use, most are antiques and some are quite nice, but for some reason I always come back to the revisor.

Orest

Hyrum said:
I've used a straight razor on and off over the years. The one I have is a cheapo. I don't use it a lot because 1.) Don't always have the time and this is not something to rush :smile: 2.) Because it's a cheapo, it isn't exactly the best shave; even with proper maintenance.

Anyone have an recommendations? I should mention I had a full beard, but I shave around it every day to keep it trim looking. Not sure if that matters.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. no replies to my fogless mirror query. Anyone know if these are worth a go: http://store.clubmanonline.com/showertek.html

I've been using a Feather Artist Club for several months now. I chose it beause I wanted the advantage and shave of a straight, but I didn't want to get involved with the stropping, sharpening, etc that the traditional straight requires. So far, so good.

Good luck

thestubblefactory said:
...or purchase Feather straight disposable razors.

Keep in mind that the Feather Artist Club doesn't actually shave much like a straight razor. Whether this is an issue is a matter of personal preference. I rarely got a great shave from the Feather, but nearly always get a great shave from a straight. Some people find the opposite is true.

Since you are only using the straight to trim with, I would suggest a 4/8 width blade. These were originally designed to trim the neck and around the ears, but one can get a great shaves with them. The size makes them ideal for trimming in tight places. The price is typically cheaper than the more popular 6/8 size.

Glen

thestubblefactory said:
I second that recommendation. The steel used in a straight razor makes all of the difference in how it performs and how easy it is to hone. However, if you are a really good honemeister you can make the cheapest stainless steel blade perform very well. So I would ask you to re-look at this before you spend major $$$ on some TI's. I would hate for you to come to the same frustration after such a large purchase. Honing and stroping have to be an enjoyable hobby for you and takes a lot of T&E to learn to get it to the zen level- however anyone with enough patience can learn. There are two schools here: the Norton 4000/8000 + strop crowd and the multiple paste on woodbacked leather strops crowd. I kind of use a mix of both. Others that don't have the patience for this but want to use straights can utilize the services of a hone meister like Lynn Abrams (classicshaving.com) or purchase Feather straight disposable razors.
I'm part of the third crowd....the Belgian Coticule crowd....I love that stone and it works really well for me.

I too am shaving around my beard and mustache in the shower. I have used a mirror similar to the one you linked and it works well for me. FWIW I currently am using M3 and Somersett's Shaving Oil (Original), have tried straight razors too, but never got comfortable shaving the back of my neck with a straight, so went from a disposable to M3. Considering making the switch to (or at least trying) a de again.

Al

What about the crowd I'm in....the kind that starts with one hone, but has to try them all????
I have a Norton 4k/8k (great results, but messy-and you have to use it by the sink....)
Lots of barber's hones....these range the full gamut. Some of them I really like a lot, and others...well...not so much
Belgian coticules-I've several of these; one large yellow coticule, 2 small yellow coticules, and a small Belgian blue coticule...these require patience but do a GREAT job
Spyderco-yes, SPYDERCO....302UF "Ultra Fine" bench hone. Honestly I've heard the grit called 2000 by some but most have lately told me it is around 12K grit. Either way it produces good results for me.
Lynn....I've never sent a razor to him, but the razors I have bought from him (see "SRAD" elsewhere, this site) have been great shavers

So....I guess I'm saying...you could go a number of different directions and still succeed. FWIW while I like TI razors, and have a few nice ones, I am a fan of Dovo razors if one buys new....otherwise look on straightrazorplace.com and buy a honed classic from someone....many of the best razor companies are simply no longer in business, but their products are still around...
hope this helps somehow,
John P.

I also shave exclusively with a straight and if your lokking for a cheap but excelent razor try the following site. www.writerferrer.com. All his razors are old restored and pre sharpened and the most expensive I've seen was $65 US.
They can also hone your razor for about $10 to $15 US.

I highly recommend this guy.

Top Bottom