What's new

Recommendations on a lighter synthetic brush/handle?

I'm currently using a G5C synthetic by ApShaveCo, in their AP400 handle I think... been a while since I got it. It weights about 4 5/8oz when dry, and often my hand cramps up and hurts when working up a lather. My lathering technique is slowly improving, I'm using fairly steady swirls around a Captains Choice copper bowl. I'm wondering if a lighter brush/handle will help alleviate these issues.

Any recommendations? Price isn't much of a concern to me, though if there's a budget friendly option I'll look into those.

Have you thought about a different handle shape or size? I used to use a skinnier handle brush and would occasionally get cramps but when I started using a larger (fatter) handle it took care of the problem

The clear-base handle shape from APShaveCo is comfy to hold and looks good. It'll be shorter than the 400, but it still works for bowl lathering. You can get a G5 knot set in the handle, ready to go.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
AP Shave makes a good brush. Is that their metal handle brush you have?

It's possible it could help. Different handle shapes and sizes might help. Go a bit smaller, a bit taller, more girth. I know what you are talking about and usually don't have problems with it. I use quite large brushes anymore and haven't had much problems with hand cramping in some time. Today both my hands starting acting quite crampy. You might just be having an off day, something got tweaked and it's just not feeling 100%. I'd give it some time and see how it's going before buying something new. I found starting off I had problems with Chubby 2 in size, and thought it wasn't for me, and eventually got back to that, then Chubby 3's, Vulfix 41s which are even larger than a Chubby 3, and a host of other large handle brushes.

It's been more of an off week with this hand tightness/cramping issue. Not just when shaving either. I've got an appointment with my PT tomorrow, I'll let her know what's going on and see if she can help.
That brush/handle I mentioned, both are from APShaveCo. I'll consider those clear handles, thanks for the tip.
Stirling has a small collection of synthetic brushes, I may grab one next time I'm shopping there.

It's been more of an off week with this hand tightness/cramping issue. Not just when shaving either. I've got an appointment with my PT tomorrow, I'll let her know what's going on and see if she can help.
That brush/handle I mentioned, both are from APShaveCo. I'll consider those clear handles, thanks for the tip.
Stirling has a small collection of synthetic brushes, I may grab one next time I'm shopping there.

I was going to suggest that it wasn't the brush. Good luck with your appointment. 🙂👍

Theoman 30mm 55 loft.jpg

I could send you my Theoman 30mm Badger Brush made of solid brass with a steel ring. It weighs just over one pound. After using it a couple of times you will understand how lightweight your brush already is. LOL.

If you're willing to drop $15 +-, the Maggard tuxedo is a reasonably fat (but short handle).
for little money, you could make a koosie around your handle and see if that helps. Several layers of bubble wrap, and a little strapping tape. No joy to look at for sure, but it would tell you if a fatter handle would help. If it helps, then you know what you're looking for.

I'm currently using a G5C synthetic by ApShaveCo, in their AP400 handle I think... been a while since I got it. It weights about 4 5/8oz when dry, and often my hand cramps up and hurts when working up a lather. My lathering technique is slowly improving, I'm using fairly steady swirls around a Captains Choice copper bowl. I'm wondering if a lighter brush/handle will help alleviate these issues.

Any recommendations? Price isn't much of a concern to me, though if there's a budget friendly option I'll look into those.
The Razorock (Italian Barber) Bruce (24mm) and Big Bruce (26mm) handles are relatively light weight and excellent brushes. I use a Big Bruce and Monster brushes (both have the same 26mm knot) as my daily drivers with great results. The Big Bruce handle is a fraction of the Monsters weight. Both are resin handle brushes.

Big Bruce is typically under $15 and often on sale for less than $10.

WCS has some 26mm brushes with larger handles that are easy to hold etc. BTW, I really like my AP brush It's a 24mm ubrush in red/black.

Top Bottom