What's new

Recommendations needed for purchasing shaving products

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to wet shaving but I've had a good experience with it so far. It has made my shaving enjoyable and overall better compared to a cartridge razor. One drawback is that there aren't many wet shaving products available in my country (especially the good ones). Luckily, I'm going on an official trip to Europe in the next few days and would like to purchase some shaving products that I've been looking to get as this is the best chance I'll get to stock up. I'll list them below (as well as what I'm currently using) and would like to get suggestions and feedback on where I might find them between the cities I will visit and if there are some other products I should also consider. I will not be able to purchase online so it has to be physical shops.

My skin is generally sensitive, and although the shift to DE razors has eliminated the ingrown hairs I sometimes got on my neck and general irritation, on a bad day I can get razor burn on my neck and the area where the cheeks meet the jawline is a little tricky and also somewhat more irritable (its fine WTG). On the good days I can get a completely smooth and nick free shave (my beard growth is slower so I think that happens if I'm shaving after a gap of 3 or 4 days).

Cities I will be visiting: Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, and Istanbul

Products I have used and which are available in my country. I do not want to buy these. Just listing them to give an idea of what I have already tried and had an experience with:
1) Feather popular razor (only good DE razor available here from only one store)
2) Feather blades (I like them and surprisingly don't get cuts from them except the rare minor nick. But they can be sometimes irritating in my tough spots)
3) Body shop brush (I don't like this. Doesn't hold water well)
4) Body shop maca root shaving cream (this one didn't work well for me. And I'm not a fan of the smell)
5) Omega synthetic brush (this is the only omega available here and the only brush available apart from the body shop one. It's cheap and works fairly ok but nothing really great)
6) Nivea sensitive shaving cream (this works well with my skin and I am able to get good shaves out of it)
7) Proraso green shaving soap (I surprisingly found this through an online shop that imports. I got it a few days ago and have shaved with it only twice yet. I like the smell and the shaves were good although I got some razor burn on the second one. I guess I have to use it a few times to get the quantity and consistency of the lather right)
8) Nivea sensitive post shave balm (this works very well and I am perfectly satisfied with it)

Products I want to get definitely:
1) Good DE razors. Based on reviews I am leaning towards both EJ DE89 and the Merkur Heavy Classic 34C. But I think both are short so would it be better to get the Jagger and then a longer razor? Suggestions?
2) Taylor of Bond's cream. I think I'd like to get the Jermyn street based on what I've read about its scent
3) Castle Forbe's Lime (I'm thinking of buying two or three creams depending on prices and budget. What could be the best 3rd alternative? I've heard good stuff about T&H creams and Tabac soap. I'm using the Tabac bath soap and like the scent)
4) A good badger brush. Suggestions?

Maybe products (if I can find them easily and/or cheap):
1) Alum block
2) Pre-shave oils (general verdict appears to say that they aren't really needed. Is there any particular product I might find helpful?)

I've learned a lot about wet shaving from this forum, and it has also helped generate my interest in it. Looking forward to some great suggestions. The help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have time to visit a dedicated shaving shop in Holland. But De Vergulde Hand products are available in many drugstores (look for the ASB, it is very good). There are several Turkish shops, who carry ARKO and sometimes Derby products.

Dutch drugstores usually have the Palmolive Classic cream, but not the stick (you have to get to Germany or Belgium for that one). There are not many typical Dutch aftershaves (except De Vergulde Hand, and Fresh-Up, which is horrible!), but Nivea aftershaves are widely available, and reasonably priced.
It is unlikely that you'll find it, but the discontinued Sanex ASB is one of the best I ever tried. HEMA also has a pretty good ASB, with shea butter. HEMA also sells DE blades, but they are rebranded Crystal blades (Made in Israel).

Trekpleister sells Omega 10019 shaving brushes for a very low price (€4 or so). There also is a Kruidvat brush, which is not so good. The Kruidvat "The Shave Doctor" aftershave is not bad though. Kruidvat also has their own shaving soap, which is comparable to DVH (different scent).

Op=Op sells Pitralon for very good prices, but they are not available in all stores. It's easy to find Tabac products, but the prices are not exceptional. DIO currently has Floid Suave on sale (150ml for €6,50), but I don't know how long that will last.

You may want to pick up a tub of Bartex at Kruidvat or Action (prices are much better at Action). It makes for an excellent preshave.

Have fun!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know much about the other cities, but you should be able to pick up some Arko and an alum block without much difficulty while in Istanbul.

I don't know much about the other cities, but you should be able to pick up some Arko and an alum block without much difficulty while in Istanbul.
Alum blocks should be easy in Amsterdam as well. ARKO in Turkish shops, or at Turkish barbers. Many European cities have one or more Turkish barbers.

If you'd like a stick of Palm Olive, they're about 50p here in the U.K. Drop me a line and I can always post one out to you.

Thanks for the offer. But is the stick markedly better from the classic cream in the green tube? I've used the cream, its available here and while its decent, I wasn't too impressed with it (or maybe I wasn't making the right lather). I also get a slight burning feeling from it which I don't get from other creams I've tried. I prefer the Nivea sensitive over it

Barcelona is the home of Myrsol which, IMHO, makes very good aftershave products. I like the "Emulsion" for pre-shave purposes but it's also used as an aftershave balm. They have 7 or 8 other aftershave products and I like several. I don't know how widely it's distributed in the city, but I'd keep my eye out for it and see if there's something that you like.

By the way, Myrsol's bottles are fairly distinctive so it may be something that you'll be able to spot as you shop:
proxy.php

Have fun! I always enjoy visiting pharmacies and shops when in Europe.

The advantage of B&B is that you will be far better informed than other consumers!

Top Bottom