What's new

Recommendations: Lightshave.

I'm on the hunt for a new DE razor and would love some recommendations!

My facial hair is impossibly coarse like copper wire and yet I still have somewhat sensitive skin. Troublesome areas are chin and neck. If I opt out of a 3 pass I have stubble by 5pm. I own a DE89 and am somewhat practiced at giving myself a rather harsh 3 pass shave. A feather blade in my shavette clears it away in 2 passes with no irritation but I don't get that BBS shave feeling.

I like my razors and blades aggressive hence; Lightshave (I only ever use the lightest touch). I feel like an adjustable is something that would suit my needs as I could dial it down a notch for the 3rd pass and let the blade do the work.

a 1966 Gillette Slim would be lovely but I don't think I can justify the cost at this point in time.

Any alternatives or recommendations?

Thanks all!

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
There's the Merkur Progress, but the cost is more or less the same as a Slim in a good condition.

There's the Merkur Progress, but the cost is more or less the same as a Slim in a good condition.
The performance of the progress is attractive, but I'm not a fan of the smooth barrel and ivory end cap. Does it adjust easily mid shave? I've had a hard time trying to track the Gillette down in good condition at a fair price here in the UK.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I don't like the smooth handle and the plastic knob too, but it's a good razor.
You can post a WTB in Gentelmanly Deals sub-forum and without a doubt someone will offer you a Slim.
Also, Slim is not as rare and expensive as Fat Boy and you can find a deal on EBAY with some patience.

Agree. A Slim is about least expensive adjustable around. IIRC, I got mine here on B&B for $25 about 15 months ago. Post a WTB here and search eBay with patience and you will find what you want.

You can post a WTB in Gentelmanly Deals sub-forum and without a doubt someone will offer you a Slim.
Also, Slim is not as rare and expensive as Fat Boy and you can find a deal on EBAY with some patience.

Looks like I will have to bide my time. Good idea. Thanks.

You can also try your luck at flea markets, estate sales and antique stores. I have found all of my vintage razors there.

My Merkur Futur give me great shaves. I have the same problem, coarse beard, that grows up pretty fast. Had DE89 and Merkur HD before. Was not able to get close shave with DE89. Merkur HD was a little better, but still, not very close shaves. As soon as i got the Futur, i get DFS/BBS every day.

My Merkur Futur give me great shaves. I have the same problem, coarse beard, that grows up pretty fast. Had DE89 and Merkur HD before. Was not able to get close shave with DE89. Merkur HD was a little better, but still, not very close shaves. As soon as i got the Futur, i get DFS/BBS every day.
Thanks! Do you find the Futur grippy enough?

Yes. The thing is that i only hold it where the design suggest, in the narrower part of the handle. Even if i don't have grip like i would on a handle with striations, it can't slip too much because it is stopped by the handle design.
I don't know, personally did not had a single problem with it slipping while shaving. I used to keep an alum block near, to use it for extra grip if it was needed. I did not felt the need to use that not even once.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The performance of the progress is attractive, but I'm not a fan of the smooth barrel and ivory end cap. Does it adjust easily mid shave? I've had a hard time trying to track the Gillette down in good condition at a fair price here in the UK.

I used a Mergress for quite a while with good results. No plastic end cap. I always dry my hands before each pass - only takes a few seconds and eliminates any slippery handle issues.

For more money you could consider an ATT - lots of choices, generous return policy and Stan is great to work with.

Give a Merkur 37C or 39C a try with the Feather blade.

Some people call the slant aggressive, I just call it efficient.

The Progress adjusts very easily at any time. It has an infinite adjustability mechanism (maybe I should have said that it is continuously adjustable). This is different from the Slim or other Gillette adjustables, which are quantum adjustables.
I don't really understand why people complain about grip problems when shaving. My right hand is only wet when rinsing my face. It is then dried off before beginning each pass. I've never once had a problem with grip on a razor.

The Progress adjusts very easily at any time. It has an infinite adjustability mechanism (maybe I should have said that it is continuously adjustable). This is different from the Slim or other Gillette adjustables, which are quantum adjustables.
I don't really understand why people complain about grip problems when shaving. My right hand is only wet when rinsing my face. It is then dried off before beginning each pass. I've never once had a problem with grip on a razor.
Not so much a slipping problem but I find the DE89 pole the wrong size and sometimes there is just nothing to grip to take it apart and forget mid shave swap out.

Before you spend money on a new razor, have you tried different blades?

I've had the same problem as you, very coarse hair and sensitive skin. I thought my only option was sharp blades to reduce number of passes and therefore lessen irritation.

My whole opinion on the matter changed when I tried Voskhod blades for the first time. They are not overly sharp, at least they don't feel overly sharp, but they are smooth as anything and do wonders at cutting down my beard for a crazy close shave without irritating my skin.

I'm not saying the Voskhods are your answer, but they may be. I recommend going to tryablade.com and order a couple different types of blades to see if one of them does what you are looking for in your razor. Definitely give the Voskhods a try if you haven't, you may also want to try Personna Lab Blues, Gillette Silver Blues, and Rapiras.

Before you spend money on a new razor, have you tried different blades?

I've had the same problem as you, very coarse hair and sensitive skin. I thought my only option was sharp blades to reduce number of passes and therefore lessen irritation.

My whole opinion on the matter changed when I tried Voskhod blades for the first time. They are not overly sharp, at least they don't feel overly sharp, but they are smooth as anything and do wonders at cutting down my beard for a crazy close shave without irritating my skin.

I'm not saying the Voskhods are your answer, but they may be. I recommend going to tryablade.com and order a couple different types of blades to see if one of them does what you are looking for in your razor. Definitely give the Voskhods a try if you haven't, you may also want to try Personna Lab Blues, Gillette Silver Blues, and Rapiras.
Thanks for your advice. I have tried Derbys, AstraSP, wilkinson sword and feather. Feather being the best I have tried. I have GSB, Polsilver, Voskhod, Rapira and others on order. However I am finding the DE89 very stale and too mild for me to do anything with it.

I'm very wary about using a slant. How do you fair around the lips without a straight blade?

I happen to have a goatee so I can't answer that question from experience.

However you should be able to hold it at a slight angle to "straighten" the blade.

Thanks for your advice. I have tried Derbys, AstraSP, wilkinson sword and feather. Feather being the best I have tried. I have GSB, Polsilver, Voskhod, Rapira and others on order. However I am finding the DE89 very stale and too mild for me to do anything with it.

I could not use Derby, they did not work for my beard at all. I've had occasional use with Feathers and got good shaves with them, but they only last me one use before I need to ditch it so I've never been overly impressed. Astra SP were my "go-to" blades because they are sharp and I thought they were comfortable. I've also tried Bic, Israeli Personnas, Crystal, GSB, and Merkur (maybe I'm missing a few?) I thought I knew what a smooth blade was, until I tried the Voskhod. It was really a game changer for me.

I thought the same thing about my DE89 so started experimenting with other razors; Parker 26c, PAA Symmetry, Fatip Grande, Merkur 30c, Merkur 41c, and finally settled on a Wolfman WR1-OC. I personally think the OC razors do a better job for coarse hair and sensitive skin, if the new blades don't work out in your DE89 you may want to start looking at some OC razors. I had the same idea about getting something more aggressive, but I shave 6 days a week so for me the Symmetry and Grande were too much and it was leaving my face raw. The Parker 26c is a fairly smooth razor. The Merkur 41c is also a great razor but on the mild side. You really can't beat the WR1-OC, but it comes with a price premium.

I could not use Derby, they did not work for my beard at all. I've had occasional use with Feathers and got good shaves with them, but they only last me one use before I need to ditch it so I've never been overly impressed. Astra SP were my "go-to" blades because they are sharp and I thought they were comfortable. I've also tried Bic, Israeli Personnas, Crystal, GSB, and Merkur (maybe I'm missing a few?) I thought I knew what a smooth blade was, until I tried the Voskhod. It was really a game changer for me.

I thought the same thing about my DE89 so started experimenting with other razors; Parker 26c, PAA Symmetry, Fatip Grande, Merkur 30c, Merkur 41c, and finally settled on a Wolfman WR1-OC. I personally think the OC razors do a better job for coarse hair and sensitive skin, if the new blades don't work out in your DE89 you may want to start looking at some OC razors. I had the same idea about getting something more aggressive, but I shave 6 days a week so for me the Symmetry and Grande were too much and it was leaving my face raw. The Parker 26c is a fairly smooth razor. The Merkur 41c is also a great razor but on the mild side. You really can't beat the WR1-OC, but it comes with a price premium.
Same as me. The Derby's are a one use, one pass throw away. I find all I can get out of a Feather is a 3 pass then a single pass and throw away. I tried the AstaSP and they were close to Feather but I got some weird mild tugging that felt like little sparks. I like the look of the Grande, 15c and R41 but again I don't like 3 piece razors. Maybe I'll try an OC Whilst looking for the gillette slim.

Top Bottom