What's new

Recommendations for Winter Gloves

I'm looking for three pairs of gloves. I want a leather pair for formal outings, a pair for everyday wear (can also be leather), and a pair for snow-related activities (snowboarding). They must come in an XL+ size and have dark, simple designs. I wouldn't mind saving a few dollars but I want the best bang for my buck. I need gloves that can take a beating. Thanks.

For snow related fun, pick gloves that are warm and waterproof(read real gore-tex or equivalent)
Marmot, Patagonia,mountain hardware, Outdoor research and Black diamond make some of the best gloves for winter fun. Let me know how much you want to spend and I can give you some reccos based on that.

For the other 2 gloves I can't help you out there.

Depending what you do in the snow consider some heavy duty leather work gloves. I used to always wear those nice waterproof breathable gloves with nylon (or a more expensive synthetic based outer shell). Then I finally picked up a snow-blower to clear our bigass driveway. I melted three pairs of gloves in one season resting them on the snow-blower or grazing the muffler with my hand before I finally got some heavy duty leather work gloves. Not terribly waterproof but I don't melt 'em every time I gotta move snow, or tear them up when I gotta clear up ice-dammed gutters or some other kind of rough on the hands outdoor work.

Scoopster, that's what a lot of the backcountry ski bums use, leather work glove, that are sealed with snow seal or nikwax gloveproof. Only problem for me is those only come in large and XL sizes.

Depending what you do in the snow consider some heavy duty leather work gloves. I used to always wear those nice waterproof breathable gloves with nylon (or a more expensive synthetic based outer shell). Then I finally picked up a snow-blower to clear our bigass driveway. I melted three pairs of gloves in one season resting them on the snow-blower or grazing the muffler with my hand before I finally got some heavy duty leather work gloves. Not terribly waterproof but I don't melt 'em every time I gotta move snow, or tear them up when I gotta clear up ice-dammed gutters or some other kind of rough on the hands outdoor work.

Hi Telly, you get what you pay for, depending on how much you think you will use them, how cold it will be where you are, how durable you want them ect, ect. If you want some gloves that will last more than a couple season, pay the extra money and get the gloves you think will work. Last think you want is cold wet hand. I best value is probably in the 50 to 60 dollar range.

this is one of my favorite places to get outdoor gear
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/group/272/Ski-Gloves.html

and here are some others.
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/Search_Results_Endeca_New.asp?lpos=leftnav&N=732&Nu=p_rollup&Ntx=mode_matchallpartial&Ns=p_popular|0||p_name|0&Ntk=s_search

http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcategory_simple.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302898852

let me know if you have any other ??

What's a fair price range for these gloves? The prices are so varied.

I ordered THESE earlier this week. I had their previous design, and loved them, until I lost one.

Got them yesterday. Like them so far. Not as thickly insulated as what they're replacing, but not so stiff that I can't drive in them. Certainly warm enough, but by no means my choice for -30F

For the snow thing, I've been very happy with my Mountain Hardwear gloves.
I think that they were in the $65-$75 when I got them two years ago.

proxy.php

The other thing I'd offer is that if you want to stay warm in very cold weather and are not going to be active (or possibly even if you are), then you want mitts, not gloves. My experience is that gloves just won't cut it. When I walk the dog on 10-20&#186;F nights, I put on a thin thermal liner glove and then a nice insulated mitt (which I got on close-out from EMS at the end of this past winter's season).

For snowboarding, I recommend Dakine. Their gloves are really the best out there, bar none. I love the way that they offer gloves without the big cuffs on them. They always seem to get in the way for me, whereas the small tight cuffs tuck neatly into my jacket. I have an older version of the cobra, and they are form fitting, and warm as hell.

Just picked up a pair of black deerskin insulated leather gloves at Costco for $20 over the weekend. Comfortable, soft, reasonably warm (obviously they aren't designed for snowmobiling, snowboarding, etc.) and cheap.

Top Bottom