What's new

Recommendations for next razor

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I’m leaning towards the Windsor, but can’t spare the funds just yet. I have found a few bladeswhich work very well in the Feather, and a couple of acceptable ones. I realize I’ll have to go through the process with a new razor, but hey, a man needs a hobby, right? Cheaper than most any other “vice” I can think of!
Perhaps this:

ATT Aluminum Windsor Pro (aka Calypso V2 SB90): $54.00
ATT CM1 Copper Baseplate (from returns): $32.00

World class mild razor for $86.00.
20211108_164548.jpg

20211108_164650.jpg

Just my opinion. :)

Not stainless, no status and hardly a pricetag but imo one of the nicest shaving contempory razors and just a little step up in aggressiveness; the humble Lord L6.

At least for a few bucks you can see what a slightly more aggressive razor has to offer!

Rockwell 6C or 6S. The "S" is the stainless version, and is about twice the price of the "C" - chrome version.

You'll get six different blade gaps on three base plates and you can choose the aggressiveness you want.

For me, plate 4 with a Polsilver, Nacet, Gillettee 7 o'clock yellow, or Perma Sharp blade is smooth and close.

I find the razor easy to use and virtually nick free.

Another vote for you to try the Henson. It won’t have the weight you’re looking for, but you can shave with your eyes closed with this razor.
It will definitely end up being one you grab again and again when you want a close no thinking shave.

I’ve been using a Feather AS-D2 for a while, and am generally pleased with it. I have been thinking that a slightly more aggressive razor might be just the ticket. My skin is fairly sensitive, so I want to stay on the mild end of the spectrum. What would be the recommendations for the next step up in aggressiveness? I would prefer to stay with stainless steel if possible. Razors which are readily attainable are preferred, but I would be glad to hear of any which you think would be suitable.
Many thanks,
Jack
I’ve been using a Feather AS-D2 for a while, and am generally pleased with it. I have been thinking that a slightly more aggressive razor might be just the ticket. My skin is fairly sensitive, so I want to stay on the mild end of the spectrum. What would be the recommendations for the next step up in aggressiveness? I would prefer to stay with stainless steel if possible. Razors which are readily attainable are preferred, but I would be glad to hear of any which you think would be suitable.
Many thanks,
Jack
You've received some excellent suggestions. One additional thought is the Pils. Not easy to find, and not cheap, but a mild, very effective razor. Finally - and this might sound bizzare - you might consider buying a used Gillette Fatboy or other Gillette adjustable. These are nickel-plated brass, but I tried one the other day for the first time in 40+ years and was amazed by the smoothness and efficiency. These are easily obtained on Ebay and elsewhere. Good luck!

Although not available in stainless steel, the Rockwell T-2 is fully adjustable on the fly, unlike the model S, which has to be disassembled to adjust. It is a large razor, well made, with good weight.

Or, check out eBay and find an old Gillette Fat Boy or Slim Adjustable.

I have both a T-2 and a 1961 Fat Boy, both shave beautifully, but the T-2’s added heft is appreciated. With a little TLC, and WD-40, the Fat Boy should keep going for another 60 years…

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I’m leaning towards the Windsor, but can’t spare the funds just yet. I have found a few bladeswhich work very well in the Feather, and a couple of acceptable ones. I realize I’ll have to go through the process with a new razor, but hey, a man needs a hobby, right? Cheaper than most any other “vice” I can think of!
ATT has some very nice pricing currently on Scratch & Dent and "Ugly" stainless steel Windsors. My experience with "ugly" is there is nothing "ugly" about them at all.

Many thanks,
Jack
You are getting great suggestions right across the board. Here are two additional thoughts. Pils, although not the easiest to find, makes a great SS razor. Secondly, and although I have always had a bias against adjustable razors, I would suggest that you go on eBay and find an old Gillette Fatboy or Red Tip adjustable. I just did this myself. The shaves are amazing once you find the right setting. These razors are nickel plated brass, and do not require much, if any, maintenance. Once you select your new razor, you can then start exploring blades, which also have an enormous impact on your shave. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Gillette Fatboy or Red Tip adjustable.
The Red Tip is not an adjustable, but the Slim is the Gillette adjustable model that followed the Fatboy.

If considering an adjustable, the Merkur Progress is an excellent razor to consider as well.

The Red Tip is not an adjustable, but the Slim is the Gillette adjustable model that followed the Fatboy.

If considering an adjustable, the Merkur Progress is an excellent razor to consider as well.
Right you are! Thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom