What's new

Recommendations for new Shavemac 26 - 28 mm

Hi there and happy christmas to you all!

I need some recommendations for the purchase of a new Shavemac brush.

I will use it mainly for face lathering of soap. It must have a good backbone and a bit of stiffness to it, but I like soft tips. I already own a Shavemac in 2 band badger with 24 mm knot diameter. The knot is set at 46 mm, which I like a lot.

But this time I would prefer a bigger knot diameter of 26 - 28 mm and a denser knot / another hair type. But it must still function good as a face lathering brush.

Great tips and advice are highly appreciated to what I should choose of hair grade, loft hight etc.

I would recommend D01 2-band. Very strong backbone and soft tips. Needs many shaves before fully broken in. I have a 26/54 Fan that I like a lot. Don't set the loft too low, then you have a leathal weapon!

D01 3-band is also an option. I have a 24/48 Fan and it's good, but I like the 2-band more. This knot is very dense and truly is a wall of badger.

Last edited:
D01 3 band fan 26X58or 60. I have a 23X50 and could have gone higher as it still has a hint of scritch when swirling. Still great backbone for face lathering. My D01 2 band is 20X44 flat has tons of backbone and like my 3 band has(more) scritch when swirling but soft when painting. I could of gone a little higher.

love my two shavemacs.
i believe, one is 30x60, other is 25x50, all approx.
excellent hair knot for each.
cannot go wrong with any of Bernd's brushes.

View attachment 711832

$art of shaving peppermint shavemac thiers-issard myrsol k penhaligon opus june 6 2016.jpg

If you can't tolerate some scritch, I'd rule out the D01 2 band. They aren't horrible, and break in nicely...but they do have some scritch to them which I enjoy.

Far as knot size, you might consider trying a flat top in 24-25mm.....I know you said you wanted a bigger knot, but the flat tops will feel HUGE on your face compared to a bulb or fan knot.

Loft size I always shoot for a ~1:2 on a bulb, ~1:1.9 on a fan or flat top.

The shavemac I have is a 25mm/46mm loft D01 2 band flat top. I had one a few years back in 24/48 and sold it for whatever reason. Was always an interesting shave with one, decided I miss that unique experience and purchased the 25/46 recently.

I actually ended up buying a Shavemac with a 26 mm 2 - band knot set at 52 mm loft. I chose the 173 handle in blue marble.

It's the same hair grade as my 24 mm, but it performs very well in my opinion. Maybe I will go for a different hair grade in the future.

Looking forward to receiving it! [emoji846]

Top Bottom