What's new

Recommendations for first badger brush

I have been wet shaving for just over a year and always with the synthetic brush that came with my DE starter kit. Keep hearing that a badger brush is the way forward. Having never used one curiosity is getting the better of me. I’m hoping you guys can provide some sort of insight into what would be a good badger brush for a newbie.
All comments gratefully received

Sterling finest 2 band - same as Simpson’s Manchurian M7 in feel function and size but only 25$, simpsons is about 250$
Thanks. Going to do some research on this one. Miight also browse the BST section but not sure if it’s possible to clean/disinfect a badger brush, if purchasing used.

the SOC badger is a very nice badger that I can vouch for. it has a nice density to the knot and is very soft and comes in a nice wooden handle.

I'm not a germophobe so have never given this much thought beyond washing new-to-me/used brushes with hot water and dish soap but I supposed a short bath in Barbicide, no more than a couple of minutes, would do the trick for sterilization.

As to good starter brush the Yaqi brushes have great value. I have the 26mm Moka Express and it is a giant that is well made with a beautiful 2-band badger knot. It's $32.80 at West Coast Shaving. The Ruby Handle 24mm 2-band is $27.72 and the very beautiful 24mm Aqua High Mountain Silvertip is $46.17.... all great choices plus they currently have free shipping for the Yaqi brushes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

For the first foray into badger I agree that a Finest (aka Two Band and High Mountain) would be the best choice. There are lots of good sources including making your own. ACE, Virginia Sheng, & Maseto on ebay all have appropriate offerings. Whipped Dog's High Mountain would be a good choice as well.

Might also browse the BST section but not sure if it’s possible to clean/disinfect a badger brush, if purchasing used.

There have been thousands of "used" badger brushes sold on shaving forums in the last 10 years. I alone have bought, sold or given away at least 20 badgers. Some Dawn dish soap, and a diluted vinegar rinse is good enough. There are brush cleaning tutorials on this site.

We could be more helpful if you could summarize your current preferences (knot size, loft, handle type, etc.) Also, a budget would help.

I’ll have to see if anywhere in the UK stocks these after doing some research but thanks for your input

I'd look for a reasonably priced silvertip; Larry at Whipped Dog provided me my current knot, which he installed into my vintage Floris handle. I love it.

We could be more helpful if you could summarize your current preferences (knot size, loft, handle type, etc.) Also, a budget would help.
Budget would be no more than £50, not too sure about handle but do like the look of a wooden handle. Also not too sure about knot size etc as am
new to all this.

If you think you might like more scrub in a brush, I would actually recommend an Omega Boar brush.

All natural fiber brushes are "used". Some just by their original owners though.

I’ll have to see if anywhere in the UK stocks these after doing some research but thanks for your input
Ali Express in China was the original source for the Yaqi brushes.... Reasonable shipping worldwide.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I second the vote for Stirling's finest badger. I really like mine.

I also have the Semogue owners club badger and it has way too much backbone and not enough softness for me. I'll be passing it on soon.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Another strong vote for Larry at Whipped dog and his Silvertip brushes!

Whipped Dog Tall Silvertip Amber.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
StirlingIvory.Bloomed.Feb.2018.jpg

All the Stirling badgers I've used have been great. This one is my current favorite in the Stirling line.

MS.30mm.BloomedDamp.Yaqi.New.24mm.Cropped.640JPG.JPG

The Maseto silvertip is a great brush if you like them big which I do. The Yaqi is much the same as some of the Stirlings but a bit less spendy. Make no mistake, these are seriously good brushes, and I don't mean just good for the money.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

While I wouldn't say these Zenith Manchurians are to everybody's liking they certainly are great brushes in my view. The copper handled Manchurian is my favorite of all the brushes I've used and the olivewood Manchurian is certainly almost in the same league. In my view these are a lot better than brushes I've used which cost a lot more.

However, brushes are very individual. What I like might not be what you like.

3-2-19.Devo.Red.VigShaving.GDJ&C.Kit.640.JPG

Yesterday I used - link to the shave report and my endless thread which discusses brushes, etc. ad nauseam - this very soft silvertip from Vig Shaving. It's not my favorite badger but it's very, very soft and it's also fun to use and quite functional. It's a step down though from the others unless soft is the only thing you care about (coupled with minimal but acceptable scrub and backbone).

Some of the brushes I've mentioned are sold by eBay vendors. Others, their websites or Ali Express.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom