What's new

Recommendations for DE blade with the best sharp/smooth balance?

I find Feathers to be perfect for me, use them in all my razors. Red/Isareli Personnas also great but the dull fast. All others I’ve tried have been tugging and less sharp. But it is very personal indeed.

Astra SP, Parker Premium, Derby Premium see to have a good balance between sharpness, smoothness, and forgiveness.

Feathers are sharper and smoother but not very forgiving.

As was said earlier and I believe it, blades are the most ymmv part of our thing. You're going to have to do some searches on this and other boards as to blades that seem to meet your requirements then I'd suggest putting your own sample pack together from tryablade.com of at least three of each candidate a d give each a fair, full shot. Good luck.

As was said earlier and I believe it, blades are the most ymmv part of our thing. You're going to have to do some searches on this and other boards as to blades that seem to meet your requirements then I'd suggest putting your own sample pack together from tryablade.com of at least three of each candidate a d give each a fair, full shot. Good luck.

I second that, Try A Blade is awesome and they get them to you very quickly. If you're looking to find the blades that work for you, sample packs are practically a must.

It’s can be fluid for me, but for today, under your criteria, I would rate the top five:

1) Nacet;
2) Wilky Light;
3) GSB;
4) Personna 74; and
5) Polsilver

Unfortunately, most of the smoothest blades for me are no longer in production.

LB Wilks (smoothest Ive ever tried)
UK "High Five" Wilks
Gillette "Olso" Swedes
Polsilver (brown wrapper)

Of the ones I can get these days, the Gillette Platinum "Russian Swede" comes to mind.

For me personally and 99% of people who try ones that have been well kept, top branded, made in the first world vintage makes are peerless.

I am a big proponent of finding the right blade. However, it seems the OP's primary issue is poor technique. Thus, I would suggest working more on technique than blade selection. I have a coarse, fast-growing beard and sensitive skin. I can normally do a four pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, plus cleanup) to achieve BBS with zero irritation, but I have good beard preparation, use high quality soaps, and shave with the proper angle and minimal pressure. I can use a variety of blades and razors as long as my technique is good.

My top three are Bic Chrome Platinum, Lord Platinum, and Shark Platinum, in no order. I can use any of the three and be perfectly happy.
Sharp and smooth are my two needs. Gotta have a close smooth irritation free shave, and very little to no aftershave burn.

I also recommend getting a sample pack from Try a Blade. That's what I did when I got started with DE shaving last summer. I agree with everyone else who says YMMV, since there were a couple brands that many members like but I hated. Likewise, there were a few blades that aren't as well liked by members but I liked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am a big proponent of finding the right blade. However, it seems the OP's primary issue is poor technique. Thus, I would suggest working more on technique than blade selection. I have a coarse, fast-growing beard and sensitive skin. I can normally do a four pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, plus cleanup) to achieve BBS with zero irritation, but I have good beard preparation, use high quality soaps, and shave with the proper angle and minimal pressure. I can use a variety of blades and razors as long as my technique is good.
I agree, technique first and while you're developing that you want blades that will do the least damage. Damage will happen and it's a necessary feedback on your technique but a duller blade will cause just enough blood to notice , say a bad weeper, where the sharp ones may get you a purple heart.

Last edited:
I also recommend getting a sample pack from Try a Blade. That's what I did when I got started with DE shaving last summer. I agree with everyone else who says YMMV, since there were a couple brands that many members like but I hated. Likewise, there were a few blades that aren't as well liked by members but I liked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I.e. ( in my case ) Feathers. Although I am and have been using strictly vintage blades for years I occasionally take a week or so to retry my old best modern choices and a Feather. That week reinforces my decision on using vintage blades exclusively and my opinion of Feathers.

YMMV every time this gets asked. In my house it’s Bic Chrome Platinums, for the smoothest sharp blade. There are other blades that may have the lead in smoothness just ever so slightly, but are nowhere near the sharpness of these bad boys.

Top Bottom