What's new

Recommendations for an inexpensive coffeemaker?

What brand Cusinart do you have?

Thanks for the recommendation!

Is that a stove top or electric percoator you're referring to?

I guess you're referring to a glass stove top percolator. How do you know when the coffee is ready? I was never able to judge the color of the coffee or the timing correctly with a stove top. My GE electric perk used to make great coffee, but the metal basket is wearing away, and either my Kirkland Columbian is using cheaper, weaker grinds, or the internal thermometer of the GE is going. It's also hard to find an 8 cup replacement basket.

I thought it's just about 1 tablespoon of coffee to fll those plastic refills. Is it really more? The thing that worries me about the plastic coffeemakers are the internal tubes that are impossible to clean, but for $10 you can buy a new one every few years, I guess. As far as Dunkin' Donuts' coffee goes, the coffee made by the DD franchises near my place of residence tastes like mouthwash. It's so weak that rather than a pick me up, it can replace Ovaltine as a drink before going to sleep!

As I previously wrote, it's my belief that any coffeemaker must have metallic inner parts for the coffee to brew at a higher temperature. My local bank has a Keurig and gives out free coffee to its customers. I've always wondered how that machine brews coffee that's hotter than the instant cup I make with boiled water on occasion.

Just myself and a guest from time to time.

Cuisinart Extreme Brew.

Last edited by a moderator:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Pyrex (glass) is stove top. I use the 4 - 6 cup model. As for perking time, when the water begins to boil and begins to turn color (light caramel), I lower the heat to low-medium and perk for 8 minutes, 1-2 minutes longer if you want a stronger coffee. As I said in my earlier post, I use Gavalia House Blend. If you use a strong roast, I would stay with the 8 minutes, adjusting the time after you perk a few pots.

Here's a pic of the coffee pot I use:
View attachment 683408

Mikey
See these on eBay once in a blue moon for a decent price. Maybe I'll get one someday ..

SWMBO went to a church rummage sale this weekend and brought home 3 plastic Melita drippers. two #2 and one #6 (no #4 which is the most common).

She paid $2 for all 3 of them.

They are in the dishwasher now. Pic coming when they get out

Pics of the 3 Melitta drippers

proxy.php

I've used both. In brewing I'd say no. But the stainless can't break so it's the way to go.
Is there any difference between the Kalita stainless steel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W5L1XY/

and the glass version?
https://www.amazon.com/Kalita-Dripper-glass-person-05045/dp/B004W5KDRE

I have a feeling that by next year, I'm going to have a collection of these manual coffeemaking devices!

The rounder filters are much cheaper than the cone filters and there are generic versions.

I just wanted to add that for the last few days I've been using my electric perk as a pour over. I boil water, measure out two cups and add it to the two tablespoons of coffee in the percolator basket. The coffee is pretty darn good, although just a bit not as strong as I like it. To compensate, I pour 6 oz of brewed coffee and send it through the basket one more time. The resulting 12 oz. is about as strong as I like it.

When you think about it, what is a top of the line Bunn coffeemaker or a Keurig anyway? It's a device to bring water to a certain temperature and send it through the coffee basket as a steady stream. If there was ever a coffeemaker that could be completely taken apart to clean the internal parts, I would consider buying it. although the previous suggestion of a $10 Mr. Coffee didn't sound too bad as that could be replaced quite often.

Now I just have to get a pour over device as well as a french press.

I'm a big fan of the Chemex. They can be had fairly cheap although I splurged and bought the hand blown version because I have no self control. On top of they great coffee it makes it is beautiful on the counter so my wife doesn't nag me to put it away. I also have hand blown glasses so it looks like an art display :)

If there was ever a coffeemaker that could be completely taken apart to clean the internal parts, I would consider buying it.

The commercial bunn brewers disassemble easily to clean the water flow channels. The boiler and brew piping gets cleaned when you run citric acid trough it. If you are a real germ freak and wear a has mat suit to bed.... you know what nasties are in your bed don't you? You can run espresso cleaner through it which contains TSP and other chemicals and solvents.

When I put the two "home" Bunn machines I had owned for decades up for sale I disassembled them and cleaned them first, than descaled with citric acid. I doubt anyone would have any "germy issues" with these and they had been used by me at least 20 years or more. I don't think Bunn makes this model any longer and I have no idea how the newer ones come apart for servicing/cleaning. e

Once the water goes down the inlet to the boiler it is taken to almost 200 degrees. Any "germ" that can survive that will take over the world so you don't need to worry much there

These older models were made like the commercial machines with stainless boilers only smaller (10 cup) but they had plastic outsides instead of stainless, otherwise it was a Bunn commercial "junior"

proxy.php

While certainly not the sexiest machine, I have a Bunn My Cafe. Its a single serve unit, but will use nearly every type of coffee medium available these days. I buy fresh ground coffee rather than using pods etc.

I ended up with one of these based on their spotless record for coffee quality and longevity. This was after going through two Keurig machines, that while they were convenient, the coffee was bland and they ultimately broke down.

The My Cafe is going on two years of being used several times a day without as much as a blip. Great machine.

If your still looking and are also a member of Costco, they have the Bonavita 8-cup with the pre-infusion. Only $129.99. It's online at Costco.com

If your still looking and are also a member of Costco, they have the Bonavita 8-cup with the pre-infusion. Only $129.99. It's online at Costco.com

Thanks for the suggestion, but I rarely have need for more than 2-3 cups at a time and as I've previously stated, my problem with coffeemakers is that the internal parts like the tube can't be removed for cleaning. Sure you can send a solution through, but a good old pipe cleaner and soaking it in a dishwashing solution would be the way to go if possible.

This must be a recent offering by Costco as there aren't any reviews for it yet. Costco members can be very critical in their reviews, and are worth reading.

http://www.costco.com/Bonavita-8-cup-Carafe-Brewer-with-Scale-and-Filter.product.100302158.html

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-...0P&gclid=CLD8vfKIhc8CFZkdfwodGyAKdw&gclsrc=ds

We have the Kenmore Elite Coffee Grinder and Brewer. I know it costs a little more than what you are looking for but we love it. I have read reviews where the motor stopped grinding but we have not had that issue and use it twice per day sometimes. We really like coffee and let it grind the beans. My wife makes the exact amount and strength we want/like. There is no waste. We normally do four user cups, or about 10 cups per the container, every morning.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't mind paying a bit more for something that lasts longer and saves me a few bucks in the longer run.

Definitely get yourself a French press. The only downside of this is that you will get some bitterness & a couple of grounds toward the bottom of the cup. But, it's a much simpler route to go and your coffee will be richer & tastier and over time you will perfect your brew relative to amount of coffee & brewing time. Similar to DE shaving, the lower-tech approach is really the best approach. Relatedly, if you don't have a hot-water kettle, you'll wonder what you ever did without it, as it will come in handy for a lot of different things.

+1

Top Bottom