What's new

Recommendations for an inexpensive coffeemaker?

...every grocery store, 7-11, walmart, you name it... Carries Melitta #4 filters. The #2 and #6 filters are a crap shoot. Some stores have them others don't I suggested a #4 Melitta because you can get filters EVERYWHERE. That, and they are very simple to use. They are very forgiving. AND they make a very good brew of coffee.

Wouldn't the metal filter here eliminate the need for paper filters?

https://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-.../dp/B000TCZRKW

I've used and owned a vacuum pot, a couple of French presses, a decent drip brewer, several pour overs and a variation on the pour over (the Clever Coffee Dripper, went through two of these). By far, my favorite and preferred tool for making a cup of coffee is the Kalita Wave 155, stainless steel. The filters, like was mentioned earlier, are usually an online shopping kinda-thing. They also cost about .09 cents each. The Kalita makes a fine cup of coffee. Bonus, it is simple to use (no real fuss required)

PS I have a garage full of coffee brewing devices. Maybe I should have a yard sale.

I've used and owned a vacuum pot, a couple of French presses, a decent drip brewer, several pour overs and a variation on the pour over (the Clever Coffee Dripper, went through two of these). By far, my favorite and preferred tool for making a cup of coffee is the Kalita Wave 155, stainless steel. The filters, like was mentioned earlier, are usually an online shopping kinda-thing. They also cost about .09 cents each. The Kalita makes a fine cup of coffee. Bonus, it is simple to use (no real fuss required)

PS I have a garage full of coffee brewing devices. Maybe I should have a yard sale.

I find that my Kalita and my commercial Bunn have a very similar taste. Both use flat bottom filters that hold more water during the brew cycle than a cone or modified cone does.

proxy.php

By far, my favorite and preferred tool for making a cup of coffee is the Kalita Wave 155, stainless steel. The filters, like was mentioned earlier, are usually an online shopping kinda-thing. They also cost about .09 cents each. The Kalita makes a fine cup of coffee. Bonus, it is simple to use (no real fuss required).

Is there any difference between the Kalita stainless steel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W5L1XY/

and the glass version?
https://www.amazon.com/Kalita-Dripper-glass-person-05045/dp/B004W5KDRE

I have a feeling that by next year, I'm going to have a collection of these manual coffeemaking devices!

I find that my Kalita and my commercial Bunn have a very similar taste. Both use flat bottom filters that hold more water during the brew cycle than a cone or modified cone does.

The rounder filters are much cheaper than the cone filters and there are generic versions.

and the glass version?

I have a feeling that by next year, I'm going to have a collection of these manual coffeemaking devices!

The rounder filters are much cheaper than the cone filters and there are generic versions.

The stainless is perfect for me. It's much more durable and I feel the glass may have a bit of heat loss.

Wouldn't the metal filter here eliminate the need for paper filters?

https://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-.../dp/B000TCZRKW
As was already noted, it eliminates the need in that you can brew with the mesh instead of the paper. But you will be creating a different tasting cup of coffee. If you wanted to be a minimalist and brew with a single pourover device it could be a good way to change up your brewing routine.

It will be difficult to predict beforehand whether you will prefer the taste of paper filtered, metal filtered, or french press immersion.

and the glass version?

Not much difference beyond your personal preference. I am not sure, but I think the glass ones were offered first with the stainless steel being a more recent addition. Whether that was because people found the glass one fragile, or because of the general trend over the past decade where many people were getting rid of their plastic food/water containers and gravitating towards stainless steel, so Kalita was just responding to the demand.

Note that the cheap round filters you find everywhere like in your local grocery store will not fit the Kalita wave brewer. That is the biggest drawback about that brewer IMO. While it is easy enough refold different filters so that they will fit a Melitta V-style or Hario V60, it does not look so simple to do that for the Kalita.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What do you all think of the Melitta Porcelain pour over brewer here?
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffee-Maker-Porcelain-Brewer/dp/B000QY9YDY

I would buy it with his permanent coffee filter. If I do, can I do without the Melitta filters?
https://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-Permanent-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000TCZRKW

There's also this standalone porcelain brewer:
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-64101-Porcelain-Cone-Brewer/dp/B00BYF99CA

Thanks once again for all your suggestions. I've often wondered about these cheap, pour over brewers and based on your responses, it seems you get a pretty good cup from them. I've also got to buy a grinder as the Costco Kirkland Columbian
doesn't seem as strong as it used to. You can't beat those 3 lb. cans for future storage, though.

The porcelain is great! You can get it sparkly clean and it lasts forever. Plastic is hard to clean, especially when it gets old. But it is way cheaper and of course it doesn't break if you drop it. If you go porcelain, consider grabbing a cheapie plastic one for a backup.

I like the throwaway filters. Less cleanup. But yeah if you use the permanent filter you can skip the paper ones if you like. Paper filters absorb oil which you might like or you might not like. Forever filters, not so much.

The thing about pourover is you can customize it in so many ways. You can tweak it forever. Grind, roast, pour speed, pre-wet, water temp, amount of coffee and water, etc etc. You can have a truly personalized cuppa. Each cup brewed to order. Grind, pour, drink, one mug at a time. Max flavor and aroma. Same with FP, sorta. Same with a lot of methods, actually. But pourover, low tech that it may be, is as good or better than about anything short of an espresso machine.

I may be a rebel here, but I'm quite pleased with our older Keurig single serve coffeemaker. My wife switches to decaf much earlier in the day than I do, and I tend to drink darker roasts than she does, so it's convenient for brewing single cups of different blends.
Before y'all carry on about the excessive waste (of the k-cups) and the fact that the coffee costs at least three times what you pay for bulk coffees, we only use the Solofill reusable filter cups, and brew whatever we want. More recently, I bought a SoloGrind burr grinder, which has an optional adaptor that dumps the ground coffee directly into a Solofill cup and stops automatically after a preset amount is ground. Even more convenient.

I would not, however, buy another new Keurig because all of the new ones are the "Keurig 2.0" machines which will only accept k-cups from licensed vendors (unless you do some kind of hack to the machine).
I see now that there is such a thing as the "Keurig 2.0 My K-Cup" adaptor, but customer reviews are somewhat divided on it.

I have a Cuisinart and it is fantastic. I only use bottled ( Culligan water cooler) water in it. Thing is indestructible, easy to clean and programmable.

Now that I am semi-retired and have time in the morning I am drinking more coffee at home than before. Used to make a Bunn potful, pour it in my thermos as I headed out the door. Used the Keurig for the occasional cup for me, wife and daughter used it several times per day.

Started searching for a better brew years ago, found a Bunn - keeps a tank of hot water, is fast, floods the grounds versus dripping through, and doesn't overheat the coffee, best brewer I've had in my 57 years. Been using French Presses on the weekends. Buying a good burr grinder and going with coffee weight also boosted the quality and consistency. Now I've retired the Bunn, it will reappear for family get togethers, and replaced it with a Chemex 8. Yes it takes a few minutes to make it, can't just turn it on and hit the shower. But the quality is great, I don't get all scientific about it, I just pour in hot water to near the top of the funnel and try to keep the level fairly consistent. I don't mess with trying to bloom the coffee. We have a glass cook top, I set a burner on low and set the Chemex on it when I'm done brewing. Keeps it the right temp without scorching. If I forget, the coffee is nukable with virtually none of the bitter nastiness that comes from nuking drip coffee.

At work, nothing bears the convenience of a Keurig. At home, I have a Nespresso, several French presses, and a Mr. Coffee, but my favorite is my percolator. It makes a better cup than anything else.

I would go with a french press. Buy the coffee beans at the supermarket and grind them coarse. While you doing the french press thing, go to house sales, antique shops, and the like and try to find the old fashion glass Pyrex peculator. We use the percolator every day, with Gavalia house blend. Perking is the way to go. Boiling hot and great flavor! You will not regret the effort!

Mikey

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol, you know it's funny... I got a Chemex a couple of years ago thinking I'd get the best of both worlds... the awesomeness of a proper low-tech brew, without the crud at the bottom. But, I switched back to my French press after just a couple of weeks. I felt something was missing and I found I missed that grittiness.

To the OP, whatever you do please don't get one of those single shot Keurig's or Nespresso or whatnot. It's the exact equivalent of a cartridge shaver... way too expensive for what you get, and wasteful with all of the plastic. When I got married I inherited my wife's Keurig but I soon banished it (with no small amount of negotiation :001_rolle) because after an initial bout of gee-whiz with the gadgetry it was clear that it was just taking up space on the counter-space, producing mediocre coffee and polluting up the world with all of those used plastic one-shot containers.
Used one myself, a Kuerig, for 3 years or so. Every time I made coffee I used the fill it yourself cup doo dad and got mad at how much coffee it took to give just one cup of Joe. So I bought a CHEAPO Mr Coffee for 10 bucks and it makes GREAT coffee. Of course, you need to find what coffee turns you on, but for me it's Dunkin Donuts medium roast.

Bonavita Immersion for $35 for a single cup of pourover
A vacuum pot for larger servings....Similar to your old percolator

did you say how many people you're serving?

$esi-5619o-mr.jpg

I have a Cuisinart and it is fantastic. I only use bottled ( Culligan water cooler) water in it. Thing is indestructible, easy to clean and programmable.

What brand Cusinart do you have?

Now I've retired the Bunn, it will reappear for family get togethers, and replaced it with a Chemex 8. Yes it takes a few minutes to make it, can't just turn it on and hit the shower. But the quality is great, I don't get all scientific about it, I just pour in hot water to near the top of the funnel and try to keep the level fairly consistent. I don't mess with trying to bloom the coffee. We have a glass cook top, I set a burner on low and set the Chemex on it when I'm done brewing. Keeps it the right temp without scorching. If I forget, the coffee is nukable with virtually none of the bitter nastiness that comes from nuking drip coffee.

Thanks for the recommendation!

At work, nothing bears the convenience of a Keurig. At home, I have a Nespresso, several French presses, and a Mr. Coffee, but my favorite is my percolator. It makes a better cup than anything else.

Is that a stove top or electric percoator you're referring to?

I would go with a french press. Buy the coffee beans at the supermarket and grind them coarse. While you doing the french press thing, go to house sales, antique shops, and the like and try to find the old fashion glass Pyrex peculator. We use the percolator every day, with Gavalia house blend. Perking is the way to go. Boiling hot and great flavor! You will not regret the effort! Mikey

I guess you're referring to a glass stove top percolator. How do you know when the coffee is ready? I was never able to judge the color of the coffee or the timing correctly with a stove top. My GE electric perk used to make great coffee, but the metal basket is wearing away, and either my Kirkland Columbian is using cheaper, weaker grinds, or the internal thermometer of the GE is going. It's also hard to find an 8 cup replacement basket.

Used one myself, a Kuerig, for 3 years or so. Every time I made coffee I used the fill it yourself cup doo dad and got mad at how much coffee it took to give just one cup of Joe. So I bought a CHEAPO Mr Coffee for 10 bucks and it makes GREAT coffee. Of course, you need to find what coffee turns you on, but for me it's Dunkin Donuts medium roast.

I thought it's just about 1 tablespoon of coffee to fll those plastic refills. Is it really more? The thing that worries me about the plastic coffeemakers are the internal tubes that are impossible to clean, but for $10 you can buy a new one every few years, I guess. As far as Dunkin' Donuts' coffee goes, the coffee made by the DD franchises near my place of residence tastes like mouthwash. It's so weak that rather than a pick me up, it can replace Ovaltine as a drink before going to sleep!

As I previously wrote, it's my belief that any coffeemaker must have metallic inner parts for the coffee to brew at a higher temperature. My local bank has a Keurig and gives out free coffee to its customers. I've always wondered how that machine brews coffee that's hotter than the instant cup I make with boiled water on occasion.

Bonavita Immersion for $35 for a single cup of pourover
A vacuum pot for larger servings....Similar to your old percolator ...did you say how many people you're serving?

Just myself and a guest from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pyrex (glass) is stove top. I use the 4 - 6 cup model. As for perking time, when the water begins to boil and begins to turn color (light caramel), I lower the heat to low-medium and perk for 8 minutes, 1-2 minutes longer if you want a stronger coffee. As I said in my earlier post, I use Gavalia House Blend. If you use a strong roast, I would stay with the 8 minutes, adjusting the time after you perk a few pots.

Here's a pic of the coffee pot I use:
$Pyrex Coffee pot.jpg

Mikey

Last edited:
Top Bottom