What's new

Recommendations for a quad band GSM Android travel phone? (Upcoming trip to EU)

I know that there are many posts and articles about the "best" Android phones and about travel/world phones (those that are quad band), but I have yet to come across one that suggests less expensive Android phones. More specifically, I will be crossing the pond for a few-week vacation (to France, Germany, Brussels, and possibly one or two other countries). For this purpose (this upcoming trip, as well as on future travel), I want to buy a (1) "normal-sized" (i.e. non-"phablet") (2) quad band GSM Android smartphone that will be able to (3) connect to wifi and run (4a) Skype and (4b) some other decent VOIP app (to receive calls to my Google Voice number while on wifi or if I get a data sim there - Google Hangouts, Talkatone, etc). It would also be great if the phone supported an app that could access my KeePass password database (on iOS, one such free app is MiniKeePass). It is also important that the phone is able to run KitKat v4.4.4, as this has the Heartbleed fix. A good battery life, processor (for surfing and recording video), camera, and ample storage space for photos/videos are also a plus.

I am a current iPhone 4S user and like having a "normal-sized" bar phone. But, I do not want to take my phone with me, just in case something happens to it; I figure this is a good time to try out the Android OS without breaking the bank. Also, if I end up getting a local sim with data overseas, trying to disable data use for the several dozen data-using apps that I have installed would be a nightmare, as would re-enabling it after the trip. I do not want to spend $200 on a phone for this purpose (that would be an easy enough task). Ideally, I would be able to accomplish this for < $100 (including shipping; though this is a flexible budget, less expensive is obviously preferred given the phone's intended purpose). I have checked out various phones Craigslist and eBay, but I have spent the past week just looking at different phones and am still getting nowhere; the main challenge is that most phones are huge and indiscreet or quite a bit above my budget. Some of the phones I checked out were the Sony Xperia Z1, Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 Minis, LG Optimus G Pro (it's HUGE!!), LG G2, and Nexus 4.

Your recommendations and insight are very much appreciated!

ETA: The phone fitting a standard SIM card is also preferred, as these are much more easily found than micro/nano SIMs.

Last edited:

Thanks :). The Moto G looks like a good option and I like that the battery is replaceable. But, I'm having trouble finding one for close to my budget (even on eBay, they are selling for ~$140).

ETA: Someone local on CL is selling a used unlocked one for $140 and someone else (still local, but further away) is selling one unlocked new in box for $155. I could go to $120, but would rather not go all the way up to $140. I will save those ads, but still welcome all other phone suggestions.

Last edited:
Is there an advantage of one manufacturer over another? For example, is one more likely to be updateable in the future or have the OS updated sooner than another?

Yes. The Nexus series always get updates before other phones. The Google Play Edition phones also receive fast updates. Plus, those phones use the pure unskinned versions of Android and aren't loaded with bloatware that slows down the phone.
That's good to know. It's interesting/frustrating that once the secondhand price of those phones (even ones a couple generations old, like the Galaxy Nexus - which is one phone I was looking at initially) drops to ~$150 (i.e. above my budget for a worry-free travel phone), they tend to disappear from the marketplace (eBay, Craigslist) and/or stick around that price.

Last edited:
The Galaxy Nexus was a great phone, I really liked mine. But sadly it won't be receiving any more OS updates. If you do find a Nexus 4 in your price range that would be the one to go for.
It looks like the Nexus 4 will get Android L, 5.0, when it's released later this year.

http://www.android.gs/android-5-0-l...5-nexus-7-and-nexus-10-expected-release-date/

Someone local is selling a Nexus 4 in good condition for $150 and someone else has one with a shattered screen for $75 OBO. I don't know anything about replacing screens, unfortunately. There is also one that was listed a month ago for $130, but it sounds like it is in just ok condition.

Btw, why does everyone with a smartphone (iOS, Android, whatever) crack their screen? lol

Hmm, I can't decide if $150 for the nicer-condition 8GB is worth it. I also just remembered that I have an 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 NIB, though it only has wifi; I may be willing to trade that to defray the cost, if I can find someone willing to make such a swap.

I ended up getting a Moto G (with a local deal, buying it outright from the carrier will have a net cost of <$100). Buying an unlock code online will be ~$2.50. But, now I need to buy another phone for a family member to use on the same trip. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom