What's new

Recommendations for a more aggressive razor.

I have the King C. Gillette and I've honed my technique to where I (normally) don't shed blood.

Still, i don't get that BBS smooth shave that I got with my Schick Quattro.

So now it's time to move in to a more aggressive razor. That said, I'm wanting one that is at least a bit forgiving.

I'm looking to keep it under $30 and over $50 is a deal breaker.

The type of opening (TTO, 2-piece or 3-piece) is a non-issue.

I am open to anything else. Open comb, slant, adjustable.

A quick list of pros and cons would be über helpful.

Now it's time to go and get rid of my two day growth. With three passes or less! 🪒🪒🪒

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I recommend the RazoRock Lupo .72. if you just buy the head, it's around $37 plus S&H. You would have to supply your own handle.

Vintage Superspeed.

If you have at least six months of using a safety razor under your belt, & are goo with your hands, you could consider using your current razor with a little modification.

Razorock Lupo and Fatip would be good choices for your price range.

If you really want to keep it inexpensive, for under $10 you could try a Snmirn. Dubbed by some the "Baby Futur" it is an adjustable and not as aggressive as the Merkur Futur and its other clones. I do not have the Futur or QShave, but I do have the Snmirn. It feels tame and manageable even opened up all the way to 8.

@ewk suggestion of the $10 Snmrin is a good one; I bought one on a lark and it's an enjoyable, albeit different feeling for me, shave.

My first thought was a Gillette Slim adjustable. In the old days, Fatboy would have leapt off my keys, but I think they may be over $30 now. Using a vintage adjustable gives one the benefit of dialing in a setting you like, posting here what that setting is, and then getting any number of suggestions as to what razors will approximate that level of aggressiveness.

Reactions: ewk
Maybe look into the winning razor for a safe but efficient shaver. It's at the top of your budget, but you get a US made stainless steel razor. I admit that I didn't like it at first, but I didn't give up and am now being rewarded with great shaves. Use code " newclub " to get a discount to get it around $45 out the door.

It does give a better shave than the King C Gillette in my opinion, and I'm very fond of the KCG.

Reactions: ewk
Merkur 37C is a very good Slant Razor which is very good for a "Slant Beginner". I highly advise to get into the slant world. 37C fit perfectly to your purchase price limits.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Lupo gets another vote, the most value-for-money choice, it’s simply magic

The current R-41 is a great aggressive razor, many versions under $50, last time I looked. The razor used with a neutral angle is less aggressive than with a steep angle so you can determine how much blade forward/blade gap you want in a shave. That is my experience with this razor. It is well made, and should last years. Experiment and use with no pressure. Of course YMMV - Good Luck

Any razor should get to BBS with a three-pass WTG/XTG/ATG shave.

If you're looking for something which gets a little closer each pass, the Fatip Piccolo is a classic which gives a very smooth shave.

Assured TTO from Family Dollar. $1 with 5 good blades. Very aggressive but manageable. Everyone should have one

Try a more aggressive blade i.e. Feather

Source a vintage Schick Injector and go from there. Under your pricepoint all day long.

My preference and experience is vintage, and if going DE: SuperSpeed Red Tip, thick cap Old Type, Fat Boy (unless you're looking for a cased Fat Boy, I've picked up 5 over the past 18 months--2 @ $40, 1 @ $16 and two under $10) or Slim (readily found under $20). If going SE (my preference, and GEM PTFE blades are readily available 100 ~$25 online) look for a GEM MMOC or Clog Pruf, GEM or ER Lather Catcher, any GEM, Star, Ever Ready 1912 or 1914 -- all, with the exception of Lather Catchers are readily found under $20, all are smooth shavers (the MicroMatic Open Comb is probably the most aggressive/efficient, just use a light touch) but they all work really well. I've used Lather Catchers and Old Types to take off a month's worth of beard growth without breathing heavy, yet without drawing blood, but I'm sure there are some modern razors out there that work as well, just not as economically.

Top Bottom