What's new

Recommendations for a more aggressive razor.

Maggard’s has the V3A head that to me is nearly as aggressive as the Muhle R41, but smoother IMHO. I used mine today with an Ikon MR7 handle any Polsilver Super Iridium blade. I got a great shave without any irritation. Shave #7 with the blade using Proraso Green cream. I felt like I had just used my Feather AS-D2 and got a BBS shave!

Fatip's are great if you can be bothered with a little blade alignment fiddling - it's not a major issue, but you need to be aware of it.

I'd go vintage like a previous poster...

Gillette Old type has the same minor gripe as the Fatip's, but if you get a good example they're simply excellent.

If I were doing it for myself, I'd probably look for a Gillette New Short Comb - much more efficient than your KCG, but also very smooth...

If there could even be a theoretically "perfect" razor design, then certain classic Gillette's are probably right up there - the RFB hybrid Tech is the best safety bar razor I've had, and the New SC is the best open comb I've had (and I've had a few dozen at least!).

While you're deciding on the next razor, try a more aggressive blade in your current one.
I've used a Feather blade, and ended up a bloody mess the first time I used it, but became my favorite blade.

I have a Persona Platinum ready to go but I'm going to use up the remaining Shark, and then pingpong between Persona and Voskhod until I've used to that supply, which will take about a year. (I have 50 of each in line), though I will probably save a Shark blade for my first test drive with a more aggressive razor.

Razorock Lupo and Fatip would be good choices for your price range.

If you really want to keep it inexpensive, for under $10 you could try a Snmirn. Dubbed by some the "Baby Futur" it is an adjustable and not as aggressive as the Merkur Futur and its other clones. I do not have the Futur or QShave, but I do have the Snmirn. It feels tame and manageable even opened up all the way to 8.
The Snmir arrived today. For. 10 bucks and easy returns of I don't like it, it was a no-brainer.

My brother-in-law has a shave den with a bunch of different razors, suggested a Parker Semi-slant.

He invited me to give his a test drive the next time i go back to Northern Kentucky, but i don't know when that will be.

If you really want to keep it inexpensive, for under $10 you could try a Snmirn. Dubbed by some the "Baby Futur" it is an adjustable and not as aggressive as the Merkur Futur and its other clones. I do not have the Futur or QShave, but I do have the Snmirn. It feels tame and manageable even opened up all the way to 8.
I love this razor. I did a SOTD post with this on my lunch break. But here is the fuller review.

I did a SOTD post about this razor but here is the fuller review.

I got it off of Amazon for $10.60 tax included. I get Amazon Prime included with my cell phone, so if you don't have Amazon prime you'll need to factor in S&H if you're like me and having to watch every penny you spend.

So at $10 and change and painless return, it as a risk-free test run.

It comes with a set of five razor blades called WeCut, which i misplaced. I can't find these blades for sale, so they may be priority just for the razor. It also comes with a little cleaning brush that is probably useless.

It's a two piece razor with a magnetized head and opens with a flick of the thumb from either side.

The handle isn't knurled, and is shaped more or less like a coke bottle. Knurling would have been better but it didn't slip in my fingers which were wet. It's not as heavy as my KCG, but it is nicely weighted.

I loaded it with the last of my Shark blades. I wanted a mild razor for my first go round.

I had a three day growth and set the razor at 5, and after the first swipe I dialed it up to 7. For this blade and the amount of growth was the sweet spot.

The WTG pass was awesome, but the head made the above the lip shaving harder than I've experienced.

The ATG pass was tricky at first to get my hand placement correct.

Two passes and I had the baby butt smooth shave I've not really had with the KCG.

That razor was misaligned as it only has enough blade protruding to shave on one side. Even so, regardless of how tightly or lightly i screwed in the head, what blade I choose, I never got a really close shave. I got close enough, but works wind up with a 5 o'clock shadow by early evening.

Almost 12 hours later, I'm just feeling the first hint of stubble on my jawline.

Here is the pic I posted with my SOTD post:

20210907_093053.jpg

Reactions: ewk
I am very glad to hear it is working out for you! I agree that it shaves better than the KCG.

If you don't mind vintage, it's really tough to beat a Gillette New SC or LC, although I'm partial to the SC version. While the Fatip (or Schone, basically the same razor, with slightly different comb fingers) give a close shave, I usually had to fiddle with the blade when loading mine, which sort of bugged me. The Gillette New models always align the blade perfect, and for my face, provide a closer, and easier on the face shave. - It's definitely a YMMV. For under $50, you can probably grab both a SC & LC, with change to spare.

At the $50 price point, there's also the Timeless Aluminum from the scratch & dent area, which includes a very nice stand, as well as the razor itself.

Those would be my two picks in that price range.

Top Bottom