What's new

Recommendations for a Japanese Straight?

I have seen positive comments regarding Japanese Straight razors and I am thinking about buying a western style Japanese Straight. I have been looking at razors for sale on line and there are so many different brands. A lot of them have English names or English text printed on them. Some that I have looked at include Parker, Ribbon, Tanifuji, and H. Diamond. I would appreciate some recommendations to help me narrow down the choices to a few quality brands which made good daily shavers.

Ribbon makes a nice razor, but actually, I think all Japanese razors are well made. Just pick one with the blade shape you like, chances are it will work out very well.

I have yet to find a bad Japanese razor regardless of the brand. All I've tried have been really great.

Here's a list of some of the more popular ones:
Iwasaki - This is about as good as it gets when it comes to Japanese straight razors. I have a couple and they are amazing shavers. Very impressive. $$$$
Tanifuji - Another high end very well respected maker worth looking into.
H.Diamond - People seem to really like these ones as well. Likely because they are really beautiful razors. Search for some pics and you'll see what I mean.

Here are some more that you'll likely be able to find for a more reasonable price.
Daishi
Cape
Saito
Kikuboshi
Parker

You'll find plenty of others out there and from a performance perspective I would guess that you'd be impressed by any that you bought. So just search the popular auction site for someone selling one that you're familiar with and then look at their other listings to find some lesser known ones. I've bought plenty and had them shipped from Japan.

If you're going to throw a ton of cash at a Japanese razor I'd try to find an Iwasaki as it will retain it's value. They are very difficult to find and can be expensive when you do find one. The standard ones will likely run you several hundred (like a Filarmonica price wise) while the Tamahagane versions will likely be up over the thousand dollar mark. Tanifuji and H.Diamond aren't as expensive as Iwasaki but would be good choices as well since they are popular enough to garner a higher price down the road or at least retain their value.

That being said, there are plenty of fifty to sixty dollar Japanese razors that are exceptional shavers. You should pick up a couple and try them out. You'll find that they all seem to take and hold an excellent edge due to the higher quality steel from which they tend to be made from. The price you pay will be determined largely by the condition of the razor. If it's perfect then you'll likely pay a little more, less than perfect maybe a little less. Prices are all over the place so take a look at some sold listings to educate yourself. The good thing is that most people aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese razors, so there can be deals to be had if you spend a little time looking.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Anything made by Tanifuji. My favorites are the Favorit, Cape Swedish Steel 1000 and 2000. Just check the grind for what you prefer, they were made from heavier grinds to fairly hollow. Cape was a house brand of Nichiri Barber Supply and the Swedish Steel models were made by Tanifuji.

Kikuboshi, Eiko, King Pelican (another Nichiri brand) are excellent choices. As said before, you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

I have yet to find a bad Japanese razor regardless of the brand. All I've tried have been really great.

Here's a list of some of the more popular ones:
Iwasaki - This is about as good as it gets when it comes to Japanese straight razors. I have a couple and they are amazing shavers. Very impressive. $$$$
Tanifuji - Another high end very well respected maker worth looking into.
H.Diamond - People seem to really like these ones as well. Likely because they are really beautiful razors. Search for some pics and you'll see what I mean.

Here are some more that you'll likely be able to find for a more reasonable price.
Daishi
Cape
Saito
Kikuboshi
Parker

You'll find plenty of others out there and from a performance perspective I would guess that you'd be impressed by any that you bought. So just search the popular auction site for someone selling one that you're familiar with and then look at their other listings to find some lesser known ones. I've bought plenty and had them shipped from Japan.

If you're going to throw a ton of cash at a Japanese razor I'd try to find an Iwasaki as it will retain it's value. They are very difficult to find and can be expensive when you do find one. The standard ones will likely run you several hundred (like a Filarmonica price wise) while the Tamahagane versions will likely be up over the thousand dollar mark. Tanifuji and H.Diamond aren't as expensive as Iwasaki but would be good choices as well since they are popular enough to garner a higher price down the road or at least retain their value.

That being said, there are plenty of fifty to sixty dollar Japanese razors that are exceptional shavers. You should pick up a couple and try them out. You'll find that they all seem to take and hold an excellent edge due to the higher quality steel from which they tend to be made from. The price you pay will be determined largely by the condition of the razor. If it's perfect then you'll likely pay a little more, less than perfect maybe a little less. Prices are all over the place so take a look at some sold listings to educate yourself. The good thing is that most people aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese razors, so there can be deals to be had if you spend a little time looking.
Thank you for the detailed information

Anything made by Tanifuji. My favorites are the Favorit, Cape Swedish Steel 1000 and 2000. Just check the grind for what you prefer, they were made from heavier grinds to fairly hollow. Cape was a house brand of Nichiri Barber Supply and the Swedish Steel models were made by Tanifuji.

Kikuboshi, Eiko, King Pelican (another Nichiri brand) are excellent choices. As said before, you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
Thanks. Do the numbers 1000 and 2000 refer to the size of the razor?

I have a couple of Japanese razors but my favorite is the Toyo Scheon 666. A frameback with super stiff thin blade. Plus it has a unique look.

proxy.php

(not my picture but mine is just like it.)

never had a bad japanese razor. without question my favorite blades. you really get a nice chunk of steel on those. I have a manaslu, gold rex, midget and an atorio .
some of these are super hard steel so get ready to hone.

and you have to use japanese stones to hone them. and finish on jnats. you really do
well you don't but I do for fun

Kind people have given me two good Japanese razors. Besides from that I really don't know anything about those razors. Knowing myself I try to stay away from what perhaps would turn into another home to fall into. Sweden, Germany and France that's about as many razor making countries I can keep track of.

There are some very good japanese razozs, alot of which are mentioned here.....but they can get very very expensive. My suggestion is set yourself a price point and look into that area.

Thanks for all the information. I purchased a Hayashi Diamond I found in my price range. Should be here in a week or so. Looking forward to see what kind of shave I can get from it.

Do you know if Tanifuji also made Canon’s razors? Or what chemical steel is? Is it possible I’ve only seen Japanese razors labeled as such?

If you are looking at that canon from shave armory I can tell you one thing. The edge on it will be absolutely amazing. I bought a kikuboshi which is another great japanese razor from shave armory and the edge is still one of my smoothest and favorite razors.

Top Bottom