What's new

Recommendations for a Japanese Straight?

Not necessarily. There are a bunch of near wedge razors as well. It's just the steel and the grind on them. They are just comfortable and smooth.

Why almost all Japanese razors type kikuboshi, diamond hayashi - extra hollow ground?

Most Japanese blades run 13/16 in size with half-hollow grinds from the shopping I've done in the past year. As for a near wedge, I found a Yasuki steel Elizabeth, but generally speaking the Japanese produced fewer of those heavier grinds.

As for makers, keep looking as they were prolific. Off the top of my head, I can think of Aiku, Toyo, Tanifuji, R. Saito, Nichiri Co., and there were plenty of lesser known makers.

I bought this one:
Who knows what kind of steel it is?
I found the same on the russian site, the seller recommends it for hard bristles...I hope it will shave well:)

All of the kikuboshi razors I have seen have been sweedish supersteel so that would be my guess. I'm sure it will shave amazingly well. You got a very nice razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-22-20.Kit.ABC.Kikuboshi.AP-Gel.640.JPG

Thanks to the this thread and the other one on Tanifujis, I just picked up my first Japanese straight razor - my first straight razor, actually. A Cape 1000 Swedish Steel with the Tanifuji “signature” in kanji. Will need a polishing, but I can have that done when I eventually send it for a honing. I spent six years on-and-off living in Japan, now I wish I had kept an eye out for straight razors while a flea markets. Most salarymen there use electric razors....

I agree that the scales seem a little cheap. Worth it to swap in a new one?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have one of those, ivory colored scales?

Ordinarily I’d say new scales would be in order if the blade condition supports the investment, especially if the scales are warped or discolored.

Cape 1000 from Nichiri Barber Supply w/o the Tanifuji stamp on the pile side usually came in black squared off scales That were wider than the 2 ivorys that I have.

These in the plastic ivory scales were narrower, and on my ivory scaled Cape 1000 with the Tanifuji stamp and the Cape 2000 w/o, the heel can be easily felt at the bottom of the scales. Not good. The Cape 1000 with Tanifuji stamps are not common, so the first thing I’d try, and am going to try, is thin the wedge so the blade sits higher in the scales when closed.

These in the plastic ivory scales were narrower, and on my ivory scaled Cape 1000 with the Tanifuji stamp and the Cape 2000 w/o, the heel can be easily felt at the bottom of the scales. Not good. The Cape 1000 with Tanifuji stamps are not common, so the first thing I’d try, and am going to try, is thin the wedge so the blade sits higher in the scales when closed.

Must be a thing with cheap ivory colored scales; my Novodur #13 shows a bit of heel below the scales when closed. I only noticed this hazard during my last shave.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Must be a thing with cheap ivory colored scales; my Novodur #13 shows a bit of heel below the scales when closed. I only noticed this hazard during my last shave.

Try tightening the wedge pin up. I had a 14 like that and that's what Alfredo told me to check/do and as usual, he was right.

I have one of those, ivory colored scales?

Black scales. One side of them looked to have one or two spots of wear on the photo - not even to be an issue. It should arrive Thursday, then I can get a closer look. If the blade looks good enough, I suspect I’ll swap out the plastic scales for a wooden type. (Or something - I’m still new at this).

Top Bottom