What's new

Recommendations for a Japanese Straight?

I have a Hayashi Diamond 1000. It is excellent. I found it difficult to hone but once it got dialed in it has never failed to impress. Good luck with your search.

I just got a Hayashi Diamond 9034 and it took an extremely good edge on my 4k/8k Norton and 12k Naniwa stone. I shaved with it this morning and honestly it's the best SR shave I have ever felt. The blade design is outstanding with the square point and muted tip. The grind looks like a bellied hollow and has a great ring. Also the bevel and blade were totally straight without any warping.

The scales seemed a little lower grade vs. the blade is my only complaint. But overall I'm really impressed by this blade and I'd put it at the top of blades I own in terms of grind quality and finish. I suspect the edge retention will be equally good as it honed up well and tree topped my arm hairs with little fuss. I'll be using this as a daily rotation for a while and report back how long it holds up before honing, but my gut instinct is it's going to be killer. I'm sold on the Japanese straights if they are anything like this one.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Your impressions are accurate @southernlights the Japanese blades are second to none and frequently the scales are cheap. Hayashi usually had pretty good scales on many models though. I have quite a few and not one dud among them.

I just got a Hayashi Diamond 9034 and it took an extremely good edge on my 4k/8k Norton and 12k Naniwa stone. I shaved with it this morning and honestly it's the best SR shave I have ever felt. The blade design is outstanding with the square point and muted tip. The grind looks like a bellied hollow and has a great ring. Also the bevel and blade were totally straight without any warping.

The scales seemed a little lower grade vs. the blade is my only complaint. But overall I'm really impressed by this blade and I'd put it at the top of blades I own in terms of grind quality and finish. I suspect the edge retention will be equally good as it honed up well and tree topped my arm hairs with little fuss. I'll be using this as a daily rotation for a while and report back how long it holds up before honing, but my gut instinct is it's going to be killer. I'm sold on the Japanese straights if they are anything like this one.

Since the first japanese straight and since the first shave with it i have preferred japanese razors to anything else. IMO they are far better than anything else. I still try other razors but seems nothing has compared to my Japanese straights. The closest so far is my grim blades straight. I was actually really shocked it shaves very close to the japanese razors.

Your impressions are accurate @southernlights the Japanese blades are second to none and frequently the scales are cheap. Hayashi usually had pretty good scales on many models though. I have quite a few and not one dud among them.

I looked again at the scales and you're right they are actually not bad. They are little out of alignment due to sitting in a box as NOS and I will try to straighten them. They are comparable to modern scales. I have a Manaslu inbound with metal scales which I'm looking forward to trying. I used the Hayashi again today and with just a little stropping it was back to passing the HHT.

I'm going to have a shave off against my Henckels Friodur 70 1/2 which is my other favorite razor. I'll report back how it goes as I get on.

I didn't like Japanese razors. They're too aggressive for me. In my opinion, to shave them, you need to have a hard bristle and not very sensitive skin.

Perhaps:) .(though I've only tried frameback of kikuokan and one kamisori.) For me, the most comfortable razors are Joseph Elliot, then Cv heljestrand

You need to try a kikuboshi, diamond hyashi, or tanifuji. Those 3 are so much smoother and comfortable than any other razor I have tried. They are truly amazing razors.

You need to try a kikuboshi, diamond hyashi, or tanifuji. Those 3 are so much smoother and comfortable than any other razor I have tried. They are truly amazing razors.
Are they all made of the same steel? Will there be no difference between them?(Some of them say "Swedish steel" and some do not have an inscription).

My super kikuboshi straight wasn’t super expensive and is one hell of a great razor !! I bought it here from the BST.

Are they all made of the same steel? Will there be no difference between them?(Some of them say "Swedish steel" and some do not have an inscription).

I am not sure on that. I do know my kikuboshi and diamond hyashi 8000 feel the same on the face. The diamond is a bit thicker than the kikuboshi. But still feels very smooth and comfortable.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1579401808081.png

I have several Japanese razors including several of the brands already mentioned. This is my most recent acquisition of a Japanese razor and perhaps my favorite of the bunch, but all are very nice shavers. I like them very much.

From what I've read and heard a good looking Japanese razor is very likely to be a very good razor. There are plenty available in the $35 - $70 range. I've not heard of any bad examples.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ill keep you in mind once I get my saito in the mail. But it would be very hard to give up.

I understand that. There is no way I'm going to get rid of mine. It was my white whale razor. I think having two of them next to each other would look so good. Please keep me in mind. I will buy that in a heartbeat I love it so much.

Top Bottom