What's new

Recommendations for 8/8 wedge

I need a piece of advice from experienced RAD members and straight razor wet-shavers.

Here it is: I would like to try a 8/8 wedge razor. Are they hard to find? Which brands are more common and easier/less expensive to buy? My goal is not for collection purpose but to shave actually with it, and see how it works with the tough beard I inherited. I do have a 8/8 razor, by the way, but it is full hollow ground (a Falkenberg #117 made in Solingen, Germany, apparently NOS from the the 1930s).

Any razor wedge or hollow ground in 8/8 is going to be pricey. If you are looking to save some money you can get a 13/16-7/8 a lot cheaper.

Any razor wedge or hollow ground in 8/8 is going to be pricey. If you are looking to save some money you can get a 13/16-7/8 a lot cheaper.
13/16 or 7/8 would be fine with me, actually.

I mentioned I had a NOS hollow ground in 8/8, I paid €80 for it around 2008 or 2009. Even got a free Proraso soap with it! Years later, the same seller sold his remaining copies like €200 a piece :blink:

You could get a kit from koraat knives for around 100 euros i think, but you'll have to make the scales

I have a few of them and they are fantastic shavers (near wedge), mine where bought custom so they where a bit more $$$ but a friend of mine has build 6 of them from just the blades and that was 65 euro ($83)

proxy.php

Otherwise there are plenty of old vintage razors that are great shavers.

The blades are cool too. When I master the art of straight razor shaving, I will invest on a custom chopper :w00t:

Here is my Falkenberg I mentioned earlier:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'd say the cheapest way to get a large wedge for you to try would be ebay. For a 7/8 wedge, you should be able to find one under $100, you'll just have to be patient, and although there's a difference between 7/8 and 8/8, you'll get a feel of how you like such a big blade. You could always put a WTB on the buy/sell/trade. I personally don'd mind them, but tend to prefer hollower grind.

A 7/8 is considerably cheaper than an 8/8. My advise would be to look at the lesser sought after antique Sheffield's like Frederick Reynolds or Wostenholm. Compared to W&B, they are great value for money.

A 7/8 is considerably cheaper than an 8/8. My advise would be to look at the lesser sought after antique Sheffield's like Frederick Reynolds or Wostenholm. Compared to W&B, they are great value for money.

Nailed it. There's a HUGE price difference right now between a (fill in the blank Sheff) 7/8's and a W&B 8/8's.

Spoiler: The W&B while currently more collectible, is certainly no better razor than those of any of the other good old established Sheff blade makers.

Top Bottom