What's new

Recommendations: First "Premium" DE Razor Purchase

You stated "However, the head geometry makes a little tricky to get a clean shave on my neck which has lots of contours."

Is that referring to the size/profile of the head?

If that is the case I would try a vintage razor (Tech, New Type), I find them to be more maneuverable due to the slimmer head profile. You can get them replated or refinished in several different methods.

I meant my neck has lots of contours. I have a pretty pronounced adam's apple, and on both sides of it, my neck is "concaved" if that makes sense? Lots of hills and valleys in simpler terms.

After researching and reading many reviews. I have narrowed it down to either of the two Timeless razors (.68/.95) and the Karve with a C plate. Price is definitely something to consider between the two since I could get a karve with 3 plates for the same price as the Timeless. But the timeless has so many outstanding reviews. But so does the karve! Decisions decisions.

After researching and reading many reviews. I have narrowed it down to either of the two Timeless razors (.68/.95) and the Karve with a C plate. Price is definitely something to consider between the two since I could get a karve with 3 plates for the same price as the Timeless. But the timeless has so many outstanding reviews. But so does the karve! Decisions decisions.
You could just get the Timeless 95 SB head and pair it with a different handle... It's not the same price, but it gets it closer.

You could just get the Timeless 95 SB head and pair it with a different handle... It's not the same price, but it gets it closer.

So true. For some reason, that did not even cross my mind. I saw people mention the weber bulldog handles have the same exact threading as the timeless.

Owning both a Karve (D Plate) and a Timeless 95 OC, I reach for the Timeless a whole lot more than the Karve. For an OC, the Timeless is extremely smooth and super efficient. The Karve is a little easier to use, but ultimately does take more strokes to get as close as the Timeless.

A Timeless SB (or Scalloped) would be as smooth, if not smoother, than the Karve and probably still keep most of that extra efficiency. With any modicum of skill, the Timeless is a awesome razor, and I have an OC.....it was an auction deal/win at an attractive price. Compared to a Schone (Fatip), it's smoother and more efficient, without having to play with the blade.....a Timeless aligns the blade perfect every time as well. For lazy days, I may just grab a return 95 Smooth or Scalloped bar plate to join the OC.

Don't forget they have the 'returns' at a bit of a discount, as well as the Bronze, which is also a premium razor. (I'd suggest the SB if you look at the Bronze, as the 78 OC Bronze is MUCH more aggressive feeling than the 95 OC and really too much for a daily shaver, at least for me and I'm a Slim at 9/Timeless 95 OC/Rockwell R6 person).

I don't know about the other razors already suggested, but I am loving my new Timeless Bronze SB.

IMG_3318.jpg

I had a Karve D,E,F plate, an ATT Windsor R and H plate. I kept the Timeless 95 dual comb SB/ OC. It is very smooth and efficient the Windsor was close and the Karve is a great bang for your buck but if you can afford it the Timeless tops them all. Just my 2 cents worth.

I can’t comment on the ATT or Timeless, but the Blackbird is also worth considering.

For some reason, my skin just gets along great with the Blackbird SB as a daily driver. I can get a close, long lasting shave with no irritation whatsoever, and no ingrowns or bumps. It took a day or two to get used to it, but now it’s all I want to use.

I emailed Matt over at Timeless and described my shaving routine, type of facial hair, etc... I am leaning toward the Timeless .95 SB. The Karve with a C plate is also still up for consideration. Maybe I will just have to get both, who knows? :001_tt2:

Of the ones you listed I've owned all listed except the feather razor. I also haven't tried the Windsor line from ATT. I would chose ti.95 solid bar it's smooth and efficient also the SS .68 OC was very good too, I call it a speed demon you can whip it around your face carefree and have a nice comfortable shave. Also karve came into the mix while reading more into the thread also never tried that razor yet. Gl and I think you will enjoy wither choice.

I want to start off by saying that I've heard there's a feeling of drag when shaving with the OC and scalloped timeless razors so I always bought the solid bar timeless razors. I've had the Stainless Steel Timeless .68 SB and .95 SB. The .95 SB was too aggressive and the .68 SB is smoother than anyone could imagine. The .68 SB needed 4 passes to get close to BBS. Never got any irritation, but the shave took a while because the razor is fairly mild. I bought the Titanium Timeless .95 SB and struck gold. The titanium Timeless feels smoother on the face and feels a tad milder than the stainless steel Timeless. The titanium Timeless .95 SB easily delivers BBS in 2 passes and a touch up pass. For handles, I used the titanium handle that comes with the timeless. I can't think of anything negative about the handle. If you want, I'm sure any titanium stork, triad, or UFO handle would pair nicely.

I want to start off by saying that I've heard there's a feeling of drag when shaving with the OC and scalloped timeless razors so I always bought the solid bar timeless razors. I've had the Stainless Steel Timeless .68 SB and .95 SB. The .95 SB was too aggressive and the .68 SB is smoother than anyone could imagine. The .68 SB needed 4 passes to get close to BBS. Never got any irritation, but the shave took a while because the razor is fairly mild. I bought the Titanium Timeless .95 SB and struck gold. The titanium Timeless feels smoother on the face and feels a tad milder than the stainless steel Timeless. The titanium Timeless .95 SB easily delivers BBS in 2 passes and a touch up pass. For handles, I used the titanium handle that comes with the timeless. I can't think of anything negative about the handle. If you want, I'm sure any titanium stork, triad, or UFO handle would pair nicely.
I might look into the titanium. I have a special coupon code for WCS which would allow me to get the complete titanium .95 scalloped razor for $190. Im just not sure if I prefer the look of the titanium over the polished SS..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'd look into the stainless steel .68 SB, or the .68 OC if you want more efficiency. The stainless steel is a bit hefty and I agree that it looks a lot better. The .95 SB titanium does feel like a toy because it is lightweight, but that lightweight combined with titanium creates a silky smooth shave that feels mild, similar to the .68 SB, while being very efficient. With a larger blade gap comes a wider variety of shaving angles too. Heck, the Timeless razors work at all angles. I'd rank the titanium .95 SB as the number one spot and the stainless steel .68 SB as a close second. Those are the top DE razors in my eyes. Never tried the paradigm DE razors. The new wolfman WR2 is on my wish list and, from what people are saying, might contest for that top spot.

I've got some Weber handles & they sure are nice. And on the bay, you can buy the Weber blemishes for $10 plys $5 shipping. I haven't been able to find a blemish, they seem perfect to me.

I've got some Weber handles & they sure are nice. And on the bay, you can buy the Weber blemishes for $10 plys $5 shipping. I haven't been able to find a blemish, they seem perfect to me.

Those are the exact handles I was considering. My only fear is that they won't be heavy enough to pair with the Timeless heads and the razor would become top heavy. Weber's heaviest handle is 60 something grams while Timeless' shortest handle is 85 grams.

I'd look into the stainless steel .68 SB, or the .68 OC if you want more efficiency. The stainless steel is a bit hefty and I agree that it looks a lot better. The .95 SB titanium does feel like a toy because it is lightweight, but that lightweight combined with titanium creates a silky smooth shave that feels mild, similar to the .68 SB, while being very efficient. With a larger blade gap comes a wider variety of shaving angles too. Heck, the Timeless razors work at all angles. I'd rank the titanium .95 SB as the number one spot and the stainless steel .68 SB as a close second. Those are the top DE razors in my eyes. Never tried the paradigm DE razors. The new wolfman WR2 is on my wish list and, from what people are saying, might contest for that top spot.

Would you say the .95 Titanium is mild enough to be used daily?

I'd definitely recommend the Wolfman WR2 if you can get your hands on one. These can be very difficult to attain though, so I'm sure that'll be a consideration. This is the razor that took the top spot away from my Timeless that I'd been using about every day for the past year and a half. I've tried or likely own most of the top named razors from Wolfman, Timeless, Paradigm, Charcoal Goods, etc.

Timeless would be my second choice but I'd recommend the .68 SB with this one as it's the most comfortable razor I've used to date. Very comfortable while still being very efficient. So think three passes and a little touch up on your neck. This is the one I reach for when I'm half asleep as it feels like it's just about impossible to cut yourself with. Very forgiving and just an absolute joy to shave with.

With ATT not my first pick but definitely not a bad choice to add to your shave den, especially if you can pick up a used one on the BST at a discount. I use my ATT Kronos as my travel razor and always have the M and R plates in my dopp bag. I own the M, M2, R, R2, H and H2 plates with a couple caps and a few of their handles. I also own an SE1 razor from ATT.

I used the Timeless with the larger Timeless handles (I liked their Barberpole handle) for the longest time before switching the handle to a UFO Colibri handle. The UFO handle is much smaller and lighter (80mm and 60g) but I must say that it works exceptionally well with this razor. It makes the razor quite a bit more nimble without taking away it's efficiency. I wouldn't think that it would have paired so well but it's an exceptional combination. The .68 is definitely mild enough to shave daily. Surprisingly comfortable for as efficient as it is. The .95 excels in efficiency as well but you do lose some of the comfort that the .68 has if choosing the .95.

A Lvl2 razor from Charcoal Goods would be another exceptional choice as would a Blackland Blackbird razor.

The Raw Shaving razors are getting some praise as well but I can't say that I've tried one of those myself, at least not yet.

The Feather AS-D2 for me wasn't anything special. A bit too mild and I had some difficulty getting a decent shave from it as a result. I wasn't a fan of the finish either and it just didn't stand out to me as a top notch razor at all.

The ATT selections are decent but they wouldn't be my first choice. Very well made and Stan at ATT is outstanding. They were my first choice a few years ago but so many really exceptional razors have been introduced since. Do note that with ATT the M is very mild and comfortable to shave with. The R is much more aggressive and almost as aggressive as the H series. Not in the middle in terms of aggressiveness as you'd think it would be. So on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of aggressiveness, if the M is a 3 the R would be an 8 and the H a 9.

If you're sticking to your original list then I'd definitely say Timeless by a good margin. ATT second and forget about the Feather razor all together.

I'd rather make your list:
Wolfman WR2
Timeless .95
Timeless .68
Charcoal Goods Lvl2
Blackland Blackbird

These are better choices to pick from (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Top Bottom