What's new

Recommendations: First "Premium" DE Razor Purchase

Hi everyone,

So this past week, I've spent some time selling off alot of my shaving gear that has gone essentially unused the past few months. I will be using those funds along with some gift cards I will be receiving from X-Mas to purchase my first "premium" DE razor.

As a reference, here are razors that I have used/currently use and how I liked them:

-Mhule R41 (2013): Very very efficient but a bit too much for my face and skin tolerances. Prefer razors that have a bit more comfort
-Gillette Slim Adjustable: Lovely little shaver. I prefer to use it on 5 or 4, and 3 for respective subsequent passes. However, the head geometry makes a little tricky to get a clean shave on my neck which has lots of contours.
-RR GameChanger .84-P: This is my go-to right now. Very efficient but very very smooth shaver. No problems with irritation whatsoever on my face, and minimal irritation on my neck when using it daily.
-EJ DE89: My first razor. Very smooth but the angle needs to be precise when using and thus makes it difficult to get good results on my neck.

I prefer mid-aggressive razors because I do not have a "thick/full" beard, but I do have very very coarse facial hair. I have very sensitive skin on my neck area with trouble spots on both sides of my adam's apple. Face is never really a problem (no sensitive spots). I also shave daily or at least 6x a week most of the time.

So now, here are the razors I am considering and where all of your guys' opinions come in (with primary interest in the Timeless Razors):

Timeless .68 Titanium Scalloped Bar
Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped Bar
ATT Atlas R1
ATT Atlas M1
Feather AS-D2

Thanks!
Mike

Timeless will give you great efficient yet comfortable shaves.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I would go with the Timeless 95.

I think you've identified some great candidates, but my Timeless could be my only razor. Right now it's in my top 2... The other being the BB, but considering you like less blade feel/more comfort, I'd pick the 95.

AS-D2 is definitely not described as an aggressive razor, and probably requires more attention to angle than any of my other razors - not to avoid damage but to get a close shave. It's my favorite "recovery" razor for when I have any facial irritation, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "efficient," although I reach for it as often as any other of the DEs in my rotation. I have a Kronos M1 and I would say it's equivalent to my DE89, or maybe just a little more aggressive, perhaps based on weight. I love my .68 SB Timeless Ti, and could use it exclusively - very lightweight and maneuverable, very efficient (can get away with two passes), seems like any blade works equally well, beautiful and maintenance-free finish. My .02.

AS-D2 is definitely not described as an aggressive razor, and probably requires more attention to angle than any of my other razors - not to avoid damage but to get a close shave. It's my favorite "recovery" razor for when I have any facial irritation, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "efficient," although I reach for it as often as any other of the DEs in my rotation. I have a Kronos M1 and I would say it's equivalent to my DE89, or maybe just a little more aggressive, perhaps based on weight. I love my .68 SB Timeless Ti, and could use it exclusively - very lightweight and maneuverable, very efficient (can get away with two passes), seems like any blade works equally well, beautiful and maintenance-free finish. My .02.

I would go with the Timeless 95.

I think you've identified some great candidates, but my Timeless could be my only razor. Right now it's in my top 2... The other being the BB, but considering you like less blade feel/more comfort, I'd pick the 95.

You guys make the decision between both hard!! haha

You are looking at some great razors!

As others have noted the AS-D2 is definitely mild and would not appear to be what you are looking for IMO.

I have fair hair (or did, it's grey now) and a light beard, but I'm considering going from the ATT Kronos M1 to and R1. The M1 seems less efficient to me, but I'm conscious of the fact that I'm still new to this and it could easily be poor technique. I'll wait for a while, but I'm leaning toward the R1. If your beard is coarser, the R1 might be a better choice.

Greg

For one thing, the two ATT choices are no longer in production. They have been superseded by the Windsor in satin finish, which I cannot speak much of since I have not tried that line. Secondly, an AS-D2 gives great shaves but does require very sharp blades (like the Feathers) and very close attention to watching and changing your angles during the shave. Finally, as @tonich said, try a Gillette New. There are more varieties out there besides the LC, all (in my opinion) shaves better. My favorites are the New SC, De Luxe, and RFB. Maybe only the SC will cost only $15 on eBay, but they are all worth trying out. Even the De Luxe and RFB in excellent condition will cost less than a Timeless.

@mousecop Agree that the Feather is milder than the others you are considering. As you are aware Titanium weighs approximately 50-60% that of a stainless razor which changes the balance - to the better for me. Also for some unknown reason(s) the Titanium DE razors give a different face feel in that they feel even smoother than their stainless/aluminum counterparts. Others on the board have noticed this but no one seems to know why. If you are considering a Timeless perhaps the Dual Comb would work for you as it's like getting 2 razors in one.

To further muddy the waters, Karve CB is a brass razor with multiple base plate options (D plate might be similar results to your GameChanger 84) which is less than half the cost of the Timeless. A stainless is planned for next year but the current brass version is great - check out the threads.

Best of luck AJ

All,

I don't know how, but I forgot to include the Christopher Bradley Karve brass razor with a C or B plate! If any of you have opinions on it as well, please let me know!

I would go with the Karve or Timeless. I have the Karve with C and D plates and both are great for me. The C plate gives me the smoothest shaves of any razor I own. I have the Timeless SB 68 and it also is a great razor. In fact, I am shaving with the Timeless this week. If I had to pick one it would be the Karve.

You stated "However, the head geometry makes a little tricky to get a clean shave on my neck which has lots of contours."

Is that referring to the size/profile of the head?

If that is the case I would try a vintage razor (Tech, New Type), I find them to be more maneuverable due to the slimmer head profile. You can get them replated or refinished in several different methods.

Also something to keep in mind is that Timeless does have a return policy that would allow you to return the razor if you didn't like it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

You will find this hard to believe, but if you were to buy a Micromatic Clog-Pruf and some Personna PTFE blades you may change track completely. That's what happened to me and I'm blown away by Micromatics, as most are. The PTFE blade is probably the best in all shaving, plus it's rigid and gives you much less irritation. When I first saw a Gem razor I almost laughed at the retro styling and thought "that's never going to be me...". I had to eat my words, I was so wrong.

Top Bottom