What's new

Recommendation Needed: <40mm Diver, GREAT lume

For my knockaround watch, I use an Invicta Men's 9403 Automatic Pro Diver S2 Black Dial.

Invicta_9403.jpg

I really like it because it ticks all the boxes for me:
  • the dial is simple
  • it's automatic
  • it's waterproof
  • it has a date window
  • the bezel rotates (bonus: it has some visual interest)
  • the size is right (40mm)

Unfortunately, on some recent camping trips, I've come to realize that the luminescence sucks. I'd like to find a watch that:
  1. meets the criteria above
  2. is 38mm to 40mm
  3. costs $250 or less
  4. gives good lume

What have you got for me? I don't care if it's on a bracelet or not, as I'll replace it with a leather band and/or a nylon NATO strap.

Thanks in advance!

Seiko Sea Urchin is an interesting watch, but slightly big for your specs at 42mm. Also seiko skx013 comes in, but at near the top of your price range. Phoibos makes some interesting watches at that price, if quartz is more your thing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Seiko and the other Japanese makers will have several offerings that tick your boxes.

if not lume but visibility is what you need, consider looking through the Traser Watch lines. I've seen examples below your price point. Although to get your hit list, you may be looking at the pre-owned market.

Seiko's proprietary Lumibrite is excellent, very long lasting green glow and there is plenty of it on the hands and hour markers.

It's not an automatic, but you might want to consider a Scurfa new diver one. I have an older model & think it's good value for money. There's a link to a review on their website which shows the lume.

BALL has the best lume in the watch industry.

I wouldn't say best. They use tritium instead of normal luminous compound. It's not as bright initially as luminous compound of divers watches. But as luminous compound fades throughout the night, tritium stays a constant brightness from start to finish.

Anyway they are beyond the poster's price point.

I understand how they work.
My Ball watches are readable at every point in any darkness.
My rolexes simply are not, including my brand new explorer ii.
Nor are my breitlings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Christopher Ward has a line of 38mm and 43mm diver watches, though majority of them are in the larger size.

If you liked to keep your current watch you could consider using a small LED flashlight to super charge the lume at some point in the evening. That may be enough to still read in the middle of the night. Or you could consider getting some luminous paint and redo the hands on your current watch.

Christopher Ward has a line of 38mm and 43mm diver watches, though majority of them are in the larger size.

If you liked to keep your current watch you could consider using a small LED flashlight to super charge the lume at some point in the evening. That may be enough to still read in the middle of the night. Or you could consider getting some luminous paint and redo the hands on your current watch.

I have been considering the latter. The lume is really the only weak point of the watch for me, so I am on the hunt for a "lume refresh" service. I tried using a flashlight to "charge" the lume, but it just didn't last - 30 minutes, maybe, 60 at the most (though it was really bright for a very short while).

Can go wrong with a Seiko dive watch. They are fantastic. I also have a Sinn, which is really built well has an incredible lume

Here's a brand you have probably never heard of but they use quality movements, are a real dive watch company, have watches at great price points, and make dive watches in smaller cases:
Helson
A real dive watch should have outstanding lume.
I don't know if you're expecting to buy a quartz or mechanical watch, but right now it seems all they have in 40mm is automatics. They're the kind of company that build runs of product and releases them every so often. Look at the "Shark Diver" model, available in a 40mm brass or stainless case, Swiss ETA, Japanese Miyota or Seiko (NH35) movement, $350-700. Lots of options.
I've been wanting one in bronze for a Very long time.
TNS

Top Bottom