What's new

Recommendation list for those just starting out

Applicable to both neophytes to the pipe and cigar, particularly those who are also neophytes to tobacco use: nicotine can sneak up on you.....to keep the sweats from developing into spins - or worse.

I am a newbie to pipe smoking, and I know this from personal experience.

My first time experiencing any nicotine was my initial outing with my Legend corn cob pipe, and some Price Albert. Smoked it fast (causing tongue bite), and got a case of massive sweats, upset stomach, and icky ashen taste in my mouth. Felt like I was going to pass out, and don't know how I avoided vomiting!!

Had a very similar experience about a week ago smoking back to back King Edward and Dutch Masters cigars. Smoked them incredibly fast, and got quite sick (sweats, head racing, feeling that I was going to throw up).

Slow, and steady is a much better way to go!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cons: You might look like a hillbilly with a corncob pipe
Just get an Army hat, and smoke it while wading in knee deep water and repeating "I said I would return"

On edit: fixed my quote- Mac didn't say he would be back, that was the Terminator :001_smile

Last edited:
I've been a cigarette/cigar/pipe smoker for years. Though I don't claim to be an expert, this is by far the best cigar cutter ever.

Montecristo Stainless Scissor:

Pros: Easy one handed use. Cuts any size cigar cleanly. Stays sharp forever (well, maybe, haven't been there , yet).

Cons: Expensive. Abt $50 - 60 US

One last thing, I recently started making my own cigarettes, I find the Montecristo cutter is perfect for lopping off any spare tobacco that may be hanging out of the cigarette tube.

Second last thing, for the newb, try a Macanudo Court cigar, very mild and not too expensive, can be found in many tobacco shops.
regards,
Bil

$_DSC1979.jpg

I've been a cigar guy for awhile, but recently have developed an interest in pipes. I'm looking for an affordable entry pipe and have seen the recommendations for corn cob pipes, but for whatever reason they just don't quite appeal to me. What suggestions do you guys have for a fairly cheap, decent quality pipe? I'm open to estate pipes, but have no idea what I'm looking for in that arena so ebay and the like scare me a bit. Budget of maybe $15-20?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've been a cigar guy for awhile, but recently have developed an interest in pipes. I'm looking for an affordable entry pipe and have seen the recommendations for corn cob pipes, but for whatever reason they just don't quite appeal to me. What suggestions do you guys have for a fairly cheap, decent quality pipe? I'm open to estate pipes, but have no idea what I'm looking for in that arena so ebay and the like scare me a bit. Budget of maybe $15-20?

Check out a Grabow at Walgreens

Grabow is a cheaper machine made pipe, but don't let any "pipe snobs" tell you you need to buy an expensive pipe to start with.
Their briar may not be as good a quality as more expensive pipes, and they can tend to smoke hot, but they are a fine entry level pipe for someone who has never smoked a pipe before.

Last edited:
+1 what Phil says
but.. What type of corn cob did you look at? They come in a huge variety, check out this link and have another look.
regards,
Bil

The good news is I've secured myself a pipe -- for free! My brother in law has a small collection and has agreed to loan me one.

I was considering picking up a tin of Frog Morton to start with, but I'm somewhat hesitant to pick up a full tin since I won't likely buy more until I finish what I have and I'd like to sort of sample several things. Is there a retailer that sells samplers that include some of the suggestions from this thread?

A lot of good stuff here. I added a link to this thread in the BL GE sticky at the top of the page. A lot of good reading there for the tobacco enthusiast especially those new to the hobby.

Top Bottom