What's new

Recommendation for minimalist FP pouch?

Hey all, just beginning to dip my pinky toe in the FP waters. Recently picked up a Pilot cartridge FP out of a pass around box. I think it might be a MR Retro Pop.

I travel light most days; everything goes in the pockets - card wallet, keys, phone, EDC pocket knife. Interested in trying to get more use out of my new to me FP by being able to bring it along with me and have it handy.

Any well recommended sleeves or pouches for pocket carry? More to protect from any chance of spill/leak than anything else. Something cheap, maybe leather (for absorbency and looks), room for one pen and perhaps a spare cartridge? Ideas?

My first recommendation is to carry your fountain pens in a shirt pocket. If you don't wear shirts with pockets, my second recommendation is to get some shirts with pockets. :redface-new:

But if you want a minimalist pen pouch, they don't get much more minimalist (odd phrase, but let it stand) than this (linked). It comes in black, too.

I have a couple of those, and have used them to carry an extra pen inside a laptop case or other bag. There are other sellers you can get them from, no doubt; I think I got mine from someone who is now out of business. But the link will show you the product I mean.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My first recommendation is to carry your fountain pens in a shirt pocket. If you don't wear shirts with pockets, my second recommendation is to get some shirts with pockets. :redface-new:

But if you want a minimalist pen pouch, they don't get much more minimalist (odd phrase, but let it stand) than this (linked). It comes in black, too.

I have a couple of those, and have used them to carry an extra pen inside a laptop case or other bag. There are other sellers you can get them from, no doubt; I think I got mine from someone who is now out of business. But the link will show you the product I mean.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Very nice looking!

I have some shirts with pockets lol.

Rickshaw Bags makes some really cool pen sleeves just Google them and you should be able to look at what they offer on their website

This, my concern with carrying in your pants pocket, even with a leather protector is that it will get in a position that when you sit down it will break your pen in half!

Tom

Rickshaw Bags makes some really cool pen sleeves just Google them and you should be able to look at what they offer on their website
This, my concern with carrying in your pants pocket, even with a leather protector is that it will get in a position that when you sit down it will break your pen in half!

Tom
Good advice. Thanks for the recommendation @kcore. Sure is hard not to pull the trigger on some things with the crazy sales this weekend, with Christmas coming up. Black Friday really needs to come after Christmas...

I have smaller pens for pocket carry. TWSBI 530 mini is my most full proof. Temprature changes (inside to out and back) is my first concern, flying and pressure changes my second. they just go in my front pocket with the wallet generally. I’m not too worried about scuffing up the body of a user grade pen.

most spillage/seepage occurs in the cap, and you won’t know it until you uncap the pen. Any pen I carry now needs to have a screw on cap. I stained a shirt with a slip on cap once.

I have smaller pens for pocket carry. TWSBI 530 mini is my most full proof. Temprature changes (inside to out and back) is my first concern, flying and pressure changes my second. they just go in my front pocket with the wallet generally. I’m not too worried about scuffing up the body of a user grade pen.

most spillage/seepage occurs in the cap, and you won’t know it until you uncap the pen. Any pen I carry now needs to have a screw on cap. I stained a shirt with a slip on cap once.
Cool! I’ll look that up!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I use this, maybe to much for what you are looking for but it slides nicely into a front pocket.

Cool! I’ll look that up!

and if you want small, easily pocketed pens, Kaweco makes some really easily pocketed pens. I ran an EF and a F pen for a bit (my nib preference) but didn’t like how the nibs performed with iron gall inks (my preference). They have a loyal following.

I use this, maybe to much for what you are looking for but it slides nicely into a front pocket.
If there’s a photo to go with that, I await in eager anticipation! 😂
and if you want small, easily pocketed pens, Kaweco makes some really easily pocketed pens. I ran an EF and a F pen for a bit (my nib preference) but didn’t like how the nibs performed with iron gall inks (my preference). They have a loyal following.
Good to know. I’m really enjoying this Pilot cartridge system right now. Much more convenient for me right now than bladder/converter.

If there’s a photo to go with that, I await in eager anticipation! 😂

Good to know. I’m really enjoying this Pilot cartridge system right now. Much more convenient for me right now than bladder/converter.

Kaweco makes their own, and fits standard (maybe just short) cartridges. I eyedroppered mine for the added capacity.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
These guys make good stuff from quality leather.

Aston leather makes some nice cases and pen sleeves.

I keep my pen either in my desk, compendium, bag or shirt pocket. I would advise against pants pocket.

I keep mine in a leather pouch that has a magnetic flap attached to my A5 diary by thin bungee cord

I've added a fake paper Montblanc snowflake to give it a bit of class. -The snob that I am!

Attachments

• Photo-0019.jpg
    Photo-0019.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom