What's new

Recommend Some Vintage Razors

First shave with the '51 is in the books.

I must admit, it ended up being a bit more challenging than I'd anticipated.

I wouldn't necessarily call this an overly mild razor but I did have trouble maintaining the angle throughout the shave. No fault of the razor's, I'm certain.

I fear that perhaps too much time spent recently with more aggressive razors (R41, Lupo .95, etc.) has made my technique a bit sloppy. Those razors have taught me quite a bit about pressure but may have allowed my technique to regress somewhat relative to angle. All the more reason to continue using the '51 to tighten up! ;)

In any case, despite the higher number of strokes, it did not leave me with any lasting irritation and was a very smooth shave overall.

I remain super happy with the purchase and I'm sure my results will improve with plenty of practice. 👍

For those interested, tonight's shave rating is here.

Here's a new update for you fine folks.

brg_tech.jpg

Tonight, whilst poking around the BRG website, I found this nickel-replated pre-war Tech sitting all by it's lonesome in Chris' Etsy storefront.

It is now mine. 😎👍

Once I receive it, I will be sure to post my impressions and some images. Then, I will likely cool my jets for a spell in order to 1) recharge the bank account and 2) focus on getting good shaves from this one and the '51.

Any further pick-ups will probably be posted straight to the acquisition thread so this one doesn't turn into my personal shopping channel. 😝

Stay tuned for the incoming Tech!

Stay tuned for the incoming Tech!
Glad you bought, you saved me from myself, but seriously that is a very nice specimen. I hope the Tech lives up to the hype I have been promoting about it. I will say the ball end handles of my techs is a little small for my hands and a little slippery when wet. I think the fat handle models will "handle" better. The tech with a sharp blade (i.e. Nacet) gives a nice shaving experience. Looking forward to hearing about your impressions and results.

Glad you bought, you saved me from myself, but seriously that is a very nice specimen. I hope the Tech lives up to the hype I have been promoting about it. I will say the ball end handles of my techs is a little small for my hands and a little slippery when wet. I think the fat handle models will "handle" better. The tech with a sharp blade (i.e. Nacet) gives a nice shaving experience. Looking forward to hearing about your impressions and results.

I'm very excited to get it. I feel as though these two razors are going to pay large dividends as far as technique refinement.

That's great news to hear about the grip. I'll admit to becoming a bit spoiled with all the super deep knurling going on with modern razors.

Also glad to hear the Nacet plays nice as that is one of my current favorites.

As for the purchase, I was going back and forth for a fair bit on this one but ultimately couldn't resist. 😝

I'm serious about taking a little mini-sabbatical so the next one that pops up is all yours! 😜

Well, friends...the trigger has been pulled.

View attachment 1627999

I don't normally count myself among the sentimental but for this initial vintage purchase I couldn't help myself.

This is a 1951 40s-style Super Speed that I just snagged from the 'Bay. The pic is from the posting. Better images to follow once received.

Why this one? Well, first and foremost, 1951 is the birth year of the person most dear to me...my mom. She endured quite a lot of hardship to bring me into this world and to keep me on the right path thereafter. Like many grown children with lives of their own, I don't have my mom top of mind near often enough and this should go some way toward remedying that injustice. In fact, I should ring her up once I'm done writing this.

It should go without saying that this is merely the first step on my vintage adventure. I fully intend to build an arsenal of assorted classics by the time I'm through. So, if this choice wasn't your suggestion...be not dismayed. I'm certain to own them all at some point. Many thanks to all who have taken the time to post their advice.

And for those who haven't chimed in yet, please do. I am an utter novice when it comes to vintage shaving and will be happy to benefit from your experience.
Here is a thread I began when I first experienced a 1949 Super Speed that you may find interesting
Gillette SuperSpeed 1948-9. First Shave And Impressions By A 'Newbie' - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-superspeed-1948-9-first-shave-and-impressions-by-a-newbie.617248/

It was my second vintage after a 1950's English Tech and my first classic 1940's TTO. I have since established mine is a 1949 model.

I still use it regularly, it's a wonderful shaver, it does like a steep angle on upper neck and lower chin, but all in all has a great blance of efficient and mild, especially with a keen blade. It very much requires one to up their technique.

I was very impressed by it's modernity when I first got it. It looks so much more sleek and functional than the modern DE89 I compared it to. Today it would probably win design awards. I find most modern razors to be trying too hard in the looks department, often over-sized and too 'blingy' and fussy, whereas the Super Speed is elegant and minimalistic. I find all Gillettes and most vintages, to be real industrial works of art and appeal to my aesthetic taste.

I am sure you will love the Tech too. The 'fat handle' is IMO the best stock handle Gillette ever made.

Last edited:
@Alum Ladd, fantastic! I'm very grateful for your insight. 🍻

The thread you linked strikes me as a thourough and thouroughly unique perspective. But then..I'm used to that around here.

One of my favorite aspects of B&B is the depth and range of experience available and I've certainly benefitted no end. And continue to do so. :thumbup:

@Alum Ladd, fantastic! I'm very grateful for your insight. 🍻

The thread you linked strikes me as a thourough and thouroughly unique perspective. But then..I'm used to that around here.

One of my favorite aspects of B&B is the depth and range of experience available and I've certainly benefitted no end. And continue to do so. :thumbup:
Well I re-read it, I wrote it many moons ago when I was young (ha) and starry-eyed.

I stand by all of the salient points, though on reflection I would edit it down a bit now!

Glad it's a little resource that may help.

Last edited:
I still use it regularly, it's a wonderful shaver, it does like a steep angle on upper neck and lower chin, but all in all has a great balance of efficient and mild, especially with a keen blade. It very much requires one to up their technique.
Okay, after reading your review, I am inspired to actually use one of the super speeds that are collecting dust on the display shelf. I am afraid though, that I have been spoiled by the agility of the low profile Tech head vs. the bulk of the TTO heads.

Okay, after reading your review, I am inspired to actually use one of the super speeds that are collecting dust on the display shelf. I am afraid though, that I have been spoiled by the agility of the low profile Tech head vs. the bulk of the TTO heads.
Once you get some decent intermediate skills you can pretty much get a good shave with any razor. Techs are great but variety is fun.

Gorgeous and congratulations! So get shaving and report back ASAP!

I think the fat handle will give a better experience than the skinny ball ends, which is what I have but I like the look and proportions of the BE versions.

Gorgeous and congratulations! So get shaving and report back ASAP!

I think the fat handle will give a better experience than the skinny ball ends, which is what I have but I like the look and proportions of the BE versions.

Thanks! I am really impressed with it. 🏆

As for the shave, I'll know more in a couple hours as I am a night shaver. I'm feeling pretty confident as I've had a couple great shaves in a row recently. First with a quite Tech-like RR DE1 and then a second go with the '51 SS. Trouble-free DFS in each case.

Incidentally, I continue to be surprised at just how small these older razors are. It's rather amusing to me that this one is known as a fat-handled variant. The grip is excellent though. I also notice that the weight is biased more towards the head than I'm used to. Regardless, I'm very keen to get on with it. 😎👍

First pre-war Tech outing done and dusted.

Sweet Baby Jesus...that right there was a Shave™. 😲

I just want to take a second to virtually high-five ✋ all those who recommended this particular razor to me (nearly everyone). Please consider me fully converted to your merry band of ne'er do wells.

This thing is truly amazing. Wonderfully intuitive, the angle fell straight to hand pretty much immediately and was stupidly easy to maintain throughout. Never once threatened to step out of line, filling me with confidence.

One pass with, one pass across, done. No touch-up required, no stray whiskers detected.

So, so effiecient. Properly wielded and with a sharp blade in tow it is more than a match for anything I currently possess. And I have some truly gnarly options hanging about the den.

Not much else to say except...simply outstanding. 🤌

lasta

Blade Biter

Sweet Baby Jesus...that right there was a Shave™. 😲

I just want to take a second to virtually high-five ✋ all those who recommended this particular razor to me (nearly everyone). Please consider me fully converted to your merry band of ne'er do wells.

This thing is truly amazing. Wonderfully intuitive, the angle fell straight to hand pretty much immediately and was stupidly easy to maintain throughout. Never once threatened to step out of line, filling me with confidence.

One pass with, one pass across, done. No touch-up required, no stray whiskers detected.

So, so effiecient. Properly wielded and with a sharp blade in tow it is more than a match for anything I currently possess. And I have some truly gnarly options hanging about the den.

Not much else to say except...simply outstanding. 🤌
Yes, Techs are hard to beat. Ever since discovering them, I've gotten into a habit of shaving with a Tech, shave with something else, then shave with a Tech again. Sometimes, that something else is another Tech.

They really are perfect.

so the next one that pops up is all yours! 😜
I just meandered to BRG's Etsy site this Friday morning and he had another pre-war polished and ready with my name on it...this has to be my last one and I must go on sabbatical immediately!
Glad you had a wonderful first Tech experience. My first time was a similar revelation - I never knew it could feel so good. My inexperience had led me to razors much too aggressive for my needs and skill level. But similar to your journey, so many B&B members talked about their great Tech experiences.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gillette vintage razors - enjoy the shaving journey!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gillette vintage razors - enjoy the shaving journey!

Thanks very much! To you, and to everyone who has stopped by to provide a recommendation and/or a bit of guidance. I knew you guys would be all over this and...I was right! Champions, one and all. 🏆

As mentioned before, I will now focus on getting better acquainted with the Tech and the SS before moving on to another purchase. Many great vintage shaves ahead, no doubt.

Rest assured, I will be coming back to this thread often to review everyone's suggestions so please feel free to continue posting your comments. Clearly, the vintage pool is deep and vast so I'll very much appreciate whatever help comes my way. :thumbup:

Well, I made it almost three weeks. 😝

Delivered just now...birth year 1971 NOS Schick Krona. At least the packaging says 1971 so that's close enough for me. 👌

sk_pkg.jpg

sk_pkg_bk.jpg

sk_closed.jpg

sk_open.jpg

sk_blades.jpg

As you can see it came with a pack of Super Chromium blades. As I've never used any vintage blades before, I'd love to hear what you all think of these. For instance, how sharp, how durable, etc.

Also, I seem to recall reading that Schick shipped these with some sort of preservative that turns gluey over time. I believe some were saying all the blades should be removed and cleaned before using. Can anyone verify?

Ebay is a helluva drug. 😜

Top Bottom