What's new

Recommend My Next ...

As I've read ... DE shaving can be a money pit but maybe in a good way. I just started DE shaving late this week and have had two bbs face shaves with no nicks or irritation. I'm hooked. Have not ventured into shaving my bald head yet. I am using a 34c with feather blades, thin layer of Noxema as a preshave and Proraso green shave cream.

Looking for suggestions for my next razor/blade combo for my face and the same for my head.

Gonna put this here... just in case...

proxy.php

proxy.php

This!

As I've read ... DE shaving can be a money pit but maybe in a good way. I just started DE shaving late this week and have had two bbs face shaves with no nicks or irritation. I'm hooked. Have not ventured into shaving my bald head yet. I am using a 34c with feather blades, thin layer of Noxema as a preshave and Proraso green shave cream.

Looking for suggestions for my next razor/blade combo for my face and the same for my head.

If the 34C is working well for you with Feathers, my suggestions would be either the Gillette Blue Tip or the RazoRock Game Changer .68, both continuing with the Feather.

I would suggest a vintage Gillette razor and Russian blades like Astra SP, SS, Vohskod. Maybe Slim Twist + Vohskod which is one of my favorite setup.

I am going to take the extremely hypocritical, completely two-faced, "even Boss Tweed would hang his head in shame" approach and say...why? If you are getting good results with what you have...then why buy another?

[Pause]

Okay...Ghandi and Pope John Paul II just left the room...so I can speak freely.

Merkur Progress. I like my long-handle one.

Game Changer .84. The Super Knurl handle is not to be despised!

Gillette Slim adjustable.

Get a Tech and a Flair Tip Super Speed...because if you don't, Gary Busey will punch you in the face for a lack of respect for your elders.

Blades...

Astra greens, Israeli Personnas , Derby Premiums, and the occassional foray into Wilkinsons and Feathers when life has been good to you.

Wait. Quiet. Saint Francis of Assisi just walked in with the Dalai Lama...

Yeah...so stop being so reckless with your spending, you...reckless spender, you.

proxy.php

In hindsight, you are most likely right. I'm happy with my current setup but just looking for my next razor down the road. Will continue reading the forums and go from there ... trial and error.

I am going to take the extremely hypocritical, completely two-faced, "even Boss Tweed would hang his head in shame" approach and say...why? If you are getting good results with what you have...then why buy another?

[Pause]

Okay...Ghandi and Pope John Paul II just left the room...so I can speak freely.

Merkur Progress. I like my long-handle one.

Game Changer .84. The Super Knurl handle is not to be despised!

Gillette Slim adjustable.

Get a Tech and a Flair Tip Super Speed...because if you don't, Gary Busey will punch you in the face for a lack of respect for your elders.

Blades...

Astra greens, Israeli Personnas , Derby Premiums, and the occassional foray into Wilkinsons and Feathers when life has been good to you.

Wait. Quiet. Saint Francis of Assisi just walked in with the Dalai Lama...

Yeah...so stop being so reckless with your spending, you...reckless spender, you.
lol love this ^^^^^^ :)

I would suggest a vintage Gillette razor and Russian blades like Astra SP, SS, Vohskod. Maybe Slim Twist + Vohskod which is one of my favorite setup.

Going to have to disagree with you on the Voshkods. Unless it is some kind if Shaolin monk test of endurance and character. Or you are under 40.

See...sometime around then your facial fair...changes. The facial hair you know is suddenly replaced by facial hair ready to kill John Connor and pave the way for Skynet to conquer humanity. Your facial hair all of a sudden becomes Lee Marvin from The Dirty Dozen.

And if both of those references fly right over your head...I got nothing.

A vintage Gillette, like a Slim Adjustable, or else an open-comb razor like a Single Ring Old.
Just get a user-grade one, without the original case.

A QShave "Futur clone" adjustable razor is an adventure all its own, for a budget price.

Low-budget things to try:
I'd skip the pre-shave products, and just prep with a hot shower.
I didn't like Proraso Green (overly-strong scent, "meh" slickness) until I started mixing it with Gillette's "Pure" shaving cream.

A vintage Gillette, like a Slim Adjustable, or else an open-comb razor like a Single Ring Old.
Just get a user-grade one, without the original case.

A QShave "Futur clone" adjustable razor is an adventure all its own, for a budget price.

Low-budget things to try:
I'd skip the pre-shave products, and just prep with a hot shower.
I didn't like Proraso Green (overly-strong scent, "meh" slickness) until I started mixing it with Gillette's "Pure" shaving cream.

Damn, I meant to mention the Chinese Futur clone. It really is excellent. Too bad they're a police state and all...

But it is really good. It absolutely cannot be beat for the price.

Software:
Lots and lots of fantastic, affordable soaps, aftershaves and blades out there to try. So much fun at low price points. Razorock soaps are cheap when on sale as are the aftershaves. Lots of others out there too and you can read reviews for weeks on this forum. Lots of fun and addictive. For blades i love the russians, rapira, lada, astra, etc

Razors:
Depending on your budget you could get a fatboy or slim in excellent condition as an adjustable. Then, if you want to try some more stainless at a great pricepoint look at razorock gamechangers or mambas. Oh and I almost forgot karve!!!! Great pricepoint, especially for the american members

If you want a couple ideas for expensive pieces to cherish for life with bigger bucks I would look at charcoal goods, blackbird, wolfman, etc. The nice thing about cg, karve and blackbird is that you can actually buy them. I cant get a wolfman from the source

Brushes:
Lots of crazy fancy ones out there. I recommend zenith / razorock again for value. I also have kent for badger. Senogue owners club is the best boar in my opinion

Going to have to disagree with you on the Voshkods. Unless it is some kind if Shaolin monk test of endurance and character. Or you are under 40.

See...sometime around then your facial fair...changes. The facial hair you know is suddenly replaced by facial hair ready to kill John Connor and pave the way for Skynet to conquer humanity. Your facial hair all of a sudden becomes Lee Marvin from The Dirty Dozen.

And if both of those references fly right over your head...I got nothing.
Definitely YMMV. I always had a good time with Voshkod, although they don't last for too long. The first 3-5 shaves or so with Vohskod is very comfortable and efficient for me.

In hindsight, you are most likely right. I'm happy with my current setup but just looking for my next razor down the road. Will continue reading the forums and go from there ... trial and error.

Yes, you could stay confined to your current setup, but do you want to? There is such a vast amount of different razors each with there own personality and character.

Try some different styles/brands and enjoy this hobby.

NSC / Nacet
Piccolo / Nacet
GC68 or GC84 / BIC or GSB

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Stay with the Merkur 34C and try Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP or Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades. I think one or all these blades will give you a different experience; remember it is the blades that do the work.

Look at the BST for razors. You can ask about the type of shave they give. I wouldn't go too aggressive or expensive right away. There's other stuff there too, soaps and brushes etc. This can make your shave more interesting and possibly improve it. It's a deep hole to fall into!

Top Bottom