What's new

Recommend me new soaps, blades, getting a life, anything!

AD? What is that? :lol:

Don't mix "need" with "want". There are some radicalists here (yes, on this forum they are radicalists, wanting to destroy everything what we believe in :biggrin1: ) who consider one brush, one razor, one cream all that is nevessary.

During my many years of using DE razors and stuff I perfectly know what I need. That doesn't change the fact that I still want and spend a fortune on shaving goods every month.

A lot of great suggestions, thanks gents!

Some of the products I have actually tried already, and some I've been curious about.

I'll make a list, do some research and buy some of these over time. Not all at once though! Even if I'm asking for enabling, I'll still have to at least try to restrain myself a bit. :laugh:

Split suggestion here:

a) join a GRUME to get the itch a bit under control and focus on what you have

b) ahead of the GRUME get Razorocks Santa Maria del Fiore (Soap and Splash) for summer :)
I will definetly have to do this at some point. Shouldn't be impossible, as until last month I went for a long time without purchasing any shaving gear. This month I can't apply, because I just got myself the Fatip slant and some other things.

I was actually looking at that soap just the other day! Sounds like it could be great for the summer indeed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You obviously don't "need" any more, but that's such a silly word. There is nothing wrong with buying a bunch of stuff if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. But if you use a product for a while and the post that you've been using xxxxx brush and it's doing the job, but you'd like to try something with more _____ (or less, whatever keeps it from being perfect).

The more specific you are in your questions the better the suggestions. If, for example, you want to buy a new brush:

Which hair - already answered: synthetic. Good start.
How big?
Any handle preferences?
Price range?
Soft tips, how much backbone, etc.?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Even if I'm asking for enabling, I'll still have to at least try to restrain myself a bit.

Good morning Daniel! I know exactly what that is like. I want to buy buy buy, spend spend spend, so much more on shaving supplies, but I had to put the breaks on.

And its a good thing I put the breaks on, guess what finally kicked the bucket on me? My 10-year old pair of Red Wing boots! And incase folks didn't know this, but a real good pair of boots are costly, so a new pair of boots falls under the NEED category. Shaving supplies fall under the WANT category at this time.

I've read countless threads, and I'm suffering from AD. I just can't decide what do I need. Well, probably not really need, but want.
So I'm asking help (=suggestions and enabling) from you.

View attachment 1437136
So, I laid out nearly all of my shaving supplies and snapped a photo.
Missing from the picture is a single ring Gillette, bottle of La Toja aftershave, my shaving mug and a few tucks of blades. I might be forgetting something.

My beard is on the lighter side, but my hair grows flat against the skin on many places, so I do get ingrown hairs easily. Improving my technique has helped with that a lot.

I do enjoy all of my razors, but the Fatip open comb slant, which I got the other day, might be my favorite. I will have to do some more testing, but I'm really impressed how easily it sliced through the whiskers, while being gentle to the skin. It made me curious about other slants.

I'm a face latherer and prefer synthetic brushes.
I also prefer veggie based soaps, but have used many tallow based ones, like Arko, Tabac and so on. Some artisan soaps too.

I'm not really sure what do I want, but I'm sure I want something. Maybe you gents, ladies too, could suggest something.

I'm located in Finland, so some things can be hard to find. My budget is somewhat limited, so I'm looking for things that are of good value. It's hard to tell a strict budget, when I don't even know what I want. I could save up to some things though.

Thank you in advance, and sorry about the rambling.
I am not sure about availability in Finland but...I would recommend spoiling yourself with at least one really good artisan soap if available where you are. Since you prefer veggie based soaps, I would recommend the Grooming Dept Nai Base. Currently available is Vertu and you can find it at West Coast Shaving and The Razor Company which are US companies. "The Vertu scent is an elegant aroma with sweet notes of chocolate, vanilla, and osmanthus layered with earthy, leathery notes of castoreum, patchouli, tonka, and cognac." The castoreum is synthetic, plant-based. You won't believe how well a Nai based soap performs.

Alternately, if you don't mind a tallow based soap and you need to stick with a European maker, I would recommend trying Los Jabones de Joserra Rodrigo de Jerez (tobacco scent) or any one of a number of soaps from Eufros aka Jabonman.

Finally, choose a soap from Ethos. Stellar products.

All of the above are high end products and the prices are on the higher end. That said, you are only buying one soap.

Last edited:
You obviously don't "need" any more, but that's such a silly word. There is nothing wrong with buying a bunch of stuff if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. But if you use a product for a while and the post that you've been using xxxxx brush and it's doing the job, but you'd like to try something with more _____ (or less, whatever keeps it from being perfect).

The more specific you are in your questions the better the suggestions. If, for example, you want to buy a new brush:

Which hair - already answered: synthetic. Good start.
How big?
Any handle preferences?
Price range?
Soft tips, how much backbone, etc.?
It's hard to be specific when I'm not even sure what I want! Or maybe I could say that variety is what I would like.
For soaps and creams I've already had a lot of great recommendations, which would probably do for now.

For brushes I can be a bit more specific though.
24mm would probably be ideal for me. I don't mind if it's a little bit larger or smaller, but something like 28mm would be too big for me, I know that from experience.

I don't have any specific preference with handles.

For the price, maybe under 40€.

Soft tips I enjoy. For backbone, I can go both ways, but something like an Omega S-Brush is way too stiff for me. Maybe a slight preference towards brushes with less backbone, but I have both kinds and just pick one depending how I feel.

One option that I'm already aware of would be PAA brushes, which are available here and in my price range.
I'm not sure how the knots would compare to my RR plissofts and Trafalgar T2.

Good morning Daniel! I know exactly what that is like. I want to buy buy buy, spend spend spend, so much more on shaving supplies, but I had to put the breaks on.

And its a good thing I put the breaks on, guess what finally kicked the bucket on me? My 10-year old pair of Red Wing boots! And incase folks didn't know this, but a real good pair of boots are costly, so a new pair of boots falls under the NEED category. Shaving supplies fall under the WANT category at this time.
Good morning!

It's certainly good to have some money saved up. A good pair of boots is a must! And yes, they are expensive.

I've read countless threads, and I'm suffering from AD. I just can't decide what do I need. Well, probably not really need, but want.
So I'm asking help (=suggestions and enabling) from you.

View attachment 1437136
So, I laid out nearly all of my shaving supplies and snapped a photo.
Missing from the picture is a single ring Gillette, bottle of La Toja aftershave, my shaving mug and a few tucks of blades. I might be forgetting something.

My beard is on the lighter side, but my hair grows flat against the skin on many places, so I do get ingrown hairs easily. Improving my technique has helped with that a lot.

I do enjoy all of my razors, but the Fatip open comb slant, which I got the other day, might be my favorite. I will have to do some more testing, but I'm really impressed how easily it sliced through the whiskers, while being gentle to the skin. It made me curious about other slants.

I'm a face latherer and prefer synthetic brushes.
I also prefer veggie based soaps, but have used many tallow based ones, like Arko, Tabac and so on. Some artisan soaps too.

I'm not really sure what do I want, but I'm sure I want something. Maybe you gents, ladies too, could suggest something.

I'm located in Finland, so some things can be hard to find. My budget is somewhat limited, so I'm looking for things that are of good value. It's hard to tell a strict budget, when I don't even know what I want. I could save up to some things though.

Thank you in advance, and sorry about the rambling.
Use whatever you already have. Once you are low on product then replenish. You have way more product than I have. Love what you have.

Top Bottom