What's new

Recommend me new soaps, blades, getting a life, anything!

I've read countless threads, and I'm suffering from AD. I just can't decide what do I need. Well, probably not really need, but want.
So I'm asking help (=suggestions and enabling) from you.

IMG_20220409_224813_227.jpg

So, I laid out nearly all of my shaving supplies and snapped a photo.
Missing from the picture is a single ring Gillette, bottle of La Toja aftershave, my shaving mug and a few tucks of blades. I might be forgetting something.

My beard is on the lighter side, but my hair grows flat against the skin on many places, so I do get ingrown hairs easily. Improving my technique has helped with that a lot.

I do enjoy all of my razors, but the Fatip open comb slant, which I got the other day, might be my favorite. I will have to do some more testing, but I'm really impressed how easily it sliced through the whiskers, while being gentle to the skin. It made me curious about other slants.

I'm a face latherer and prefer synthetic brushes.
I also prefer veggie based soaps, but have used many tallow based ones, like Arko, Tabac and so on. Some artisan soaps too.

I'm not really sure what do I want, but I'm sure I want something. Maybe you gents, ladies too, could suggest something.

I'm located in Finland, so some things can be hard to find. My budget is somewhat limited, so I'm looking for things that are of good value. It's hard to tell a strict budget, when I don't even know what I want. I could save up to some things though.

Thank you in advance, and sorry about the rambling.

From what I see in the picture I’d suggest both the Lea and La Toja sticks along with something from the Proraso single edge line. Of the three I mentioned I’ve tried the La Toja and the Proraso single edge in wood and spice. Both are excellent and I believe vegan. All three should be easily accessible online there

You have some great stuff there and really there is nothing you need, especially if you like all the hardware.

If you want to branch out a bit though, try some different soaps. Haslinger and DR Harris would be my recommendations, both good value top performers. I like the tactile experience of a DR Harris wooden bowl too, if you can spring for it.

Speick aftershave is great too.

From what I see in the picture I’d suggest both the Lea and La Toja sticks along with something from the Proraso single edge line. Of the three I mentioned I’ve tried the La Toja and the Proraso single edge in wood and spice. Both are excellent and I believe vegan. All three should be easily accessible online there

You have some great stuff there and really there is nothing you need, especially if you like all the hardware.

If you want to branch out a bit though, try some different soaps. Haslinger and DR Harris would be my recommendations, both good value top performers. I like the tactile experience of a DR Harris wooden bowl too, if you can spring for it.

Speick aftershave is great too.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will make a list. All of those are easily accessible.

I have actually used Haslinger before, and it did perform very well.
I think you should concentrate on technique till you resolve the ingrowing hair issue. I don't buying more shaving stuff will help.
I should have clarified that I don't get them often anymore. Just an occasional one every now and then, especially if I happen to switch to a lighter razor. I am probably applying pressure unconciously, and need a shave or two to adjust. Apart from that, I can get a good shave with any of my razors, without issues.

But you are right. Technique is one, of the most important things in shaving. I'm still working on it, after six years of doing this.

If you are a face latherer and are looking for good value, branch out from your preferred synths and try a boar bristle brush or two. After a break in period they become quite soft while retaining backbone, a winning combination. Try it!
I have actually had five boar brushes before (and one mixed knot), but ended up giving them to friends and relatives to convert them.
I liked Omega knots much more than Semogues, but neither one were really my cup of tea.
Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciate it!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@DanielT , my bad on the open blade. GEM Micromatic Open Comb, Clog Pruf, and Gull Wing/Bullet Tip could be a fun obsession. Same with various Lather Catchers and a whole parade of 1912 variants (GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, Treet, Kampfe…).

Soaps/Creams

D.R. Harris...I like Windsor and Arlington

Razors

I am a SR shaver but when I reach for a DE, I grab a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat or
a Feather AS-D2...the latter being more easily obtainable.

@DanielT , my bad on the open blade. GEM Micromatic Open Comb, Clog Pruf, and Gull Wing/Bullet Tip could be a fun obsession. Same with various Lather Catchers and a whole parade of 1912 variants (GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, Treet, Kampfe…).
Hey no worries, you could not have known about it.
I'll do some research if I can find the blades here. After that, I'll check out a few online auction sites..

Thanks!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Connaught’s has the best price on PTFE-coated GEM blades, that auction place has the best price on uncoated stainless, and the river bookstore has the best price I’ve seen on Accu-Tec carbon GEM blades.

Personally, I think your soap to aftershave ratio is too small. I don't see a single bay rum, or spiced splash in the bunch.:laugh: I hope this leaves you properly enabled,

If you're willing to get American made products, I cannot recommend Captains Choice Products highly enough. I've tried some of @Captain Pre-Capsize's lather bowls, soaps, creams, splashes, and balms; they're all fantastic! FWIW, I absolutely love my Seaworthy Cobalt lather bowl.

Split suggestion here:

a) join a GRUME to get the itch a bit under control and focus on what you have

b) ahead of the GRUME get Razorocks Santa Maria del Fiore (Soap and Splash) for summer :)

You have a lot of nice things there already. A few suggestions would be:

- Cella Extra Extra Bio shave soap in green bowl (not the tube)
- Haslinger shave soap (Sensitive is almost unscented)
- Speick shave stick
- Speick after shave lotion
- Osage Rub (if you like menthol & eucalyptus, great for Summer)
- Proraso after shave balm
- Nacet blades
- Borotalco talc powder
- Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Goméz EdC

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If you're willing to get American made products, I cannot recommend Captains Choice Products highly enough. I've tried some of @Captain Pre-Capsize's lather bowls, soaps, creams, splashes, and balms; they're all fantastic! FWIW, I absolutely love my Seaworthy Cobalt lather bowl.

@hairless wonder and I often agree with each other, because our minds are on the same wave length! I concur with him 100%, Captains Choice bowls come highly recommended by me! I have the large bowl version, cause I got a big brush that needs some space, with ridges to help me win the race, whip it up, lather it up, and away you go sailor! 😁

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Since Daniel has decided to give bore brushes the shaft, I think he will do fine with synthetic brushes. But over time, he might want to branch out into badger brushes in his future. I think its important to note, don't go with pure badgers, because mine is utter garbage. If he goes with a badger, he should chose a silver tipped badger brush.

I got a Maseto Avatar 30 knott 56 loft silver tipped badger brush coming from a little slow row boat from China. Most recent tracking update, shows that its completed import customs, and that was 3-days ago, still waiting on my next tracking update. This is what my next brush looks like, that I am still waiting on...

Maseto Avatar 30 Knott 56 Loft Shaving Brush.jpg

I am also now a strong believer in Stirling soaps, I just experienced my first Stirling soap, Black Cherry, and I couldn't be happier with it! So, if Daniel would like to try out some new soaps, I'd have to give a strong recommendation push towards Stirling.

I also agree with Daniel's willingness to improve his razor technique. Applying pressure is an absolute no no when it comes to DE shaving. If the razor is too mild, and that is why he's applying pressure, then it might be best to get a more aggressive razor, or get an adjustable. I myself recently went through this with my Feather AS-D2, and switched to my Rex Ambassador.

But, its important for Daniel to know that its not a race, he doesn't have to do this all at once. But, if he wants an enabler, were all too happy to oblige hehe. 😁

@hairless wonder and I often agree with each other, because our minds are on the same wave length! I concur with him 100%, Captains Choice bowls come highly recommended by me! I have the large bowl version, cause I got a big brush that needs some space, with ridges to help me win the race, whip it up, lather it up, and away you go sailor! 😁

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Since Daniel has decided to give bore brushes the shaft, I think he will do fine with synthetic brushes. But over time, he might want to branch out into badger brushes in his future. I think its important to note, don't go with pure badgers, because mine is utter garbage. If he goes with a badger, he should chose a silver tipped badger brush.

I got a Maseto Avatar 30 knott 56 loft silver tipped badger brush coming from a little slow row boat from China. Most recent tracking update, shows that its completed import customs, and that was 3-days ago, still waiting on my next tracking update. This is what my next brush looks like, that I am still waiting on...

View attachment 1437282

I am also now a strong believer in Stirling soaps, I just experienced my first Stirling soap, Black Cherry, and I couldn't be happier with it! So, if Daniel would like to try out some new soaps, I'd have to give a strong recommendation push towards Stirling.

I also agree with Daniel's willingness to improve his razor technique. Applying pressure is an absolute no no when it comes to DE shaving. If the razor is too mild, and that is why he's applying pressure, then it might be best to get a more aggressive razor, or get an adjustable. I myself recently went through this with my Feather AS-D2, and switched to my Rex Ambassador.

But, its important for Daniel to know that its not a race, he doesn't have to do this all at once. But, if he wants an enabler, were all too happy to oblige hehe. 😁
If our minds are on the same wavelength, then I can only feel sorry for your nearest and dearest! 😁

Top Bottom