What's new

Recommend me - Bath Soap

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m a sucker for bath soaps.

I’ve used the mass market type soaps - Dove, Dial, Irish Spring, etc.
I’ve used the “step up” varieties such as Pre de Provence, Duke Cannon, D.R. Harris (above a step up really!)
I’ve used the body wash type of soap, *shudder*
I’ve used a few local artisans here and there.

I’ve never found one that WOWED me.

What I don’t like about the mass market type is it’s just bland. Scent is bland, lather is bland, it’s just.....soap. Cheap, effective, soap.

What I don’t like about the step up varieties is...speak of Duke Cannon mainly, I don’t want a soap bar the size of my head. And Pre de Provence never excited me either - take away the 20 different scents and it’s just another mass market.

What I don’t like about the body wash - *shudder*...never mind

So what are y’all using that falls in to the WOW category for you?

I don’t mind shelling out some dough for a good soap considering i use it daily.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was going to say Dove but you have used it. Do you have any allergies to any soaps? I find that some soaps can inflame my skin. Maybe @Marco or @malocchio might have a better idea. They both seem to know their soaps really well.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Jason, if you desire a really high quality, unique bath soap I have one suggestion for you: savon de Marseille.

The scent is actually nothing to write about, it's basically a pure soap with no fragrance added and has just a very light scent of ash. But where it truly shines is its super moisturizing properties, since it's made with 72% of extra virgin olive oil - this makes it extremely beneficial for the skin. Also, it's made in the old traditional way and contains no preservatives or chemicals of any kind.

But be aware that under the name "savon de Marseille" there are many fake copies. Only 4 soaps are the original ones and they are:

- Fer à Cheval
- La Corvette (savonnerie du Midi)
- Marius Fabre
- Le Serail

If you desire I can give you further info on these gems from France.
Or, alternatively, I can give you some names of other great soaps from Italy.
Just let me know, my friend. :)

I was going to say Dove but you have used it. Do you have any allergies to any soaps? I find that some soaps can inflame my skin. Maybe @Marco or @malocchio might have a better idea. They both seem to know their soaps really well.
I've tried olive oil soap before , but not the caliber of those on Marco's list...The soaps I tried were very mild for sure , but the lather was not super thick, and of course there is only the slightest aroma. I have tried the Neste - Dante soaps, a few at least ,and I much prefer the bold scents , I like a strongly perfumed, high lather soap: Nesti Dante Soap | Emozioni in Toscana & Philosophia Soaps .... also , much cheaper but still nice with strong aroma are the Greek bars from Papoutsanis ... One thing I can say for olive oil soaps is that you MUST get a fresh bar , otherwise you may be disappointed.. I'll have to try one or two of Marco's recommendations , he's had plenty of good ones over the years.

When it comes to bar soap I use whatever is cheap and can double as shave soap. The old Old Spice bar soap, Pears, Yardley, and the like. The stuff from DSC isn't bad either.

Yardley is a nice soap and offered for sale at dollar stores.

I know Maggard is selling many bath soaps now. Have not explored those offerings yet.

I haven't given it a try myself, but I have been eyeing Kirk's Castile Soap for a few weeks now ever since wondering if I can step up my bar soap game without being one of those guys spending $5 a bar. But, I've never bought decent soap before so who knows, I might end up that guy. But Kirk's looks really nice, $1.10 a bar and you can count the number of ingredients on one hand. Maybe it won't be your favorite, there doesn't seem to be a plethera of nice scents but wow it's probably the cheapest "real" soap you can get at the market, and a lot cheaper than certain bars that have to be legally called "cleansing bar" or "beauty bar" or "deodorant soap".

Kirk's gets some great reviews on that Amz0n site, 'tho a small number of users experienced discomfort and burning sensations. Have not tried it. Like anything else, buy just one to see if it meets your expectations.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks all! I found some by Whiskey River Soap Company that is pretty darn good.

I am very interested in trying those recommend by Marco but unsure which are legit on Amazon.

Speaking of Kirk's, I've been using their new liquid soap for a few weeks a really like it. My fav bar soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat. Light scent, moisturizes well and lasts a long time.

The best soaps I've ever used were Italian. Nesti Dante and Saponificio Varesino are my favorites. Go to TJ Maxx and they'll likely have Saponificio Varesino. If you buy Nesti Dante, get whatever catches your interest in the Il Frutetto line. I like their citrus based soaps.

Last edited:
Jason, if you desire a really high quality, unique bath soap I have one suggestion for you: savon de Marseille.

The scent is actually nothing to write about, it's basically a pure soap with no fragrance added and has just a very light scent of ash. But where it truly shines is its super moisturizing properties, since it's made with 72% of extra virgin olive oil - this makes it extremely beneficial for the skin. Also, it's made in the old traditional way and contains no preservatives or chemicals of any kind.

But be aware that under the name "savon de Marseille" there are many fake copies. Only 4 soaps are the original ones and they are:

- Fer à Cheval
- La Corvette (savonnerie du Midi)
- Marius Fabre
- Le Serail

If you desire I can give you further info on these gems from France.
Or, alternatively, I can give you some names of other great soaps from Italy.
Just let me know, my friend. :)

Marco - I would appreciate more info on the savon de Marseille soaps. Are the 4 you mentioned very similar in ingredients, scent and performance? Do these soaps easily later?

Also, would like to hear your recommendations for Italian bath soaps and how thy compare to the savon de Mrseille. Thanks-you!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco - I would appreciate more info on the savon de Marseille soaps. Are the 4 you mentioned very similar in ingredients, scent and performance? Do these soaps easily later?

Also, would like to hear your recommendations for Italian bath soaps and how thy compare to the savon de Mrseille. Thanks-you!

Yes Sir, the 4 names given are almost identical in formula and performance. They all lather very well and create a rich, creamy lather that can be used to wash your entire body, hair included. These soaps are ideal for every skin type, even the most sensitive ones. And during winter months the very high content of 72% of extra virgin olive oil makes them extremely moisturizing.

There are several great names for Italian bath soaps. Among these my favourite is Nesti Dante from Florence. His soaps are of high quality, with great scents and are reasonably priced, too. These are not extra virgin olive oil based, though. Therefore, while they won't dry out your skin at all, they are certainly not as moisturizing as the French savon de Marseille.

What I like to do is to use Nesti Dante and other Italians during hot months (when moisturizing properties are not so important to me) and the 4 French Marseille soaps during cold months (when moisturizing properties play an important role to prevent skin dryness and consequent cracks).

Top Bottom