What's new

Recommend me a WARM Winter Jacket.

I literally have not owned a warm winter coat in years. I live in NY and the weather does get cold. I tend to tough it out with a scarf, hat and a wool coat, but I need something warmer for staying outside with my son and puppy without freezing my butt off. I thought some of you guys from colder climates might have some good recommendations.

Was looking at North Face, but not looking to break the bank. Something sort of stylish would be great, but really looking for comfort and warmth.

Thanks!

I'd recommend a quality, down-filled coat or parka. I live in Minnesota and I want to be warm when I have to be outside and it's in the single digits or below zero. I bought a down-filled coat from Cabelas (Cabelas.com) which caters to the outdoor sportsman. (which I'm not, I was going for the warmth factor) I bought it a long time ago. I remember carrying diapers and pacifiers in the interior pockets and my babies are now 17 and 19. This thing has worn like a tank and I am still wearing it. I seem to recall paying around $225 for it but I knew it was a good investment and it's still going strong after 15 years with just a little wear around the cuffs of the sleeves. Stylish? Probably not so much, it's like a parka but it's not bad looking and it really keeps me warm.

Last edited:
I have this jacket from uniqlo, i got it from the NYC store. I would recommend it, I wore it over a sweater, it kept me really warm. I think its a pretty good investment considering its size and price

I like the pockets on the top. Me wearing it on top of the Brooklyn bridge, it was windy and the weather was 0 C (32 F). I was warm as a baby on the top and cold on the bottom.

My point being really good jacket

I'm going to go a different route with my recommendation. Here in AK the Carhart Extreme series are popular. While they are not very thick they are warm in large measure to the wind and water proofing. This and a wool sweater/fleece will keep me warm down to around -20. Thermal underwear added to that will work for me down to -30 to -40 on hunting trips. Maybe I'm more used to the cold but these are highly recommended.
The jacket is my main winter coat and while it's not stylish it is rugged. I've had mine for 6 winters and it's just now needing to be replaced.

I got an Alpha Industries CWU-45P flight jacket last year. One of the warmest jacket I've ever had. Stands up to New England winter just fine. (This one's in Nylon, you can get the "real" one with Nomex, but it's a lot more expensive)
And it looks awesome. It's reasonable inexpensive ($130) and comes in several colors.

http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-CWU-45P-Flight-Jacket.asp

proxy.php

I will say, that you may still want a light scarf -- it has a thin collar. The rest is crazy warm though.

Marmot has great jackets, but they can be pricey. I have a mid weight one I've been wearing constantly for the last 3-4 years. I snagged a Columbia with Omni Heat last year on sale and that reflective stuff really seems to work. They had a really great online sale last year that I happened to catch.

I'm partial to the Columbia (or similar style) jackets and parkas that have a shell and zip-in fleece liner. Very versatile. The shell is wind proof and water repellent and the fleece liner provides insulation. I would consider it a good choice for all but the most extreme cold.

I got an Alpha Industries CWU-45P flight jacket last year. One of the warmest jacket I've ever had. Stands up to New England winter just fine. (This one's in Nylon, you can get the "real" one with Nomex, but it's a lot more expensive)
And it looks awesome. It's reasonable inexpensive ($130) and comes in several colors.

http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-CWU-45P-Flight-Jacket.asp

proxy.php

I will say, that you may still want a light scarf -- it has a thin collar. The rest is crazy warm though.

+1/ note they are a bit short, so if you're 'long in the body', might not work.

Both SWMBO and I have the alpha parkas, think they are nb3 models, great for winter.

Also alpha have sales, its worth registering online, and waiting for their emails. think I've never paid full price for any of their stuff..

The problem is that "warm/cold" are relative terms - Some people think that 0°C/32F is cold and some will laugh at it.

But even temperatures don't convey everything! -5°C with a damp wind can be much worse than a crisp and dry -15°C.

As someone who formerly had to spend a lot of time in a winter where damp winds and -40°C with windchill isn't surprising, I have a 'layered response' system - I have varying sizes and styles of cap and scarf, two different weights of fleece, and three commonly cycled outer coats. Depending on the weather, I mix and match a fleece with a coat to achieve warmth. (Note that I'm using fleece as a jacket liner, separate from any sweater I may be wearing under it.)

My ultimate cold weather coat (paired with fleece, etc.) is a Russian naval officer's greatcoat as it is long, made of very stiff and thick wool, and double-breasted. This makes it highly effective at keeping the wind out and my legs semi-warm.

I would look at an LL Bean down coat. They aren't all that expensive and their customer service can't be beat.

Last week when it was -45c, I was wearing my Canada Goose Mantra, but that is a little over kill for your climate. Normally I like to layer, Heavy duty outer shell with hood, then various shirts and fleece, it is a case of layering. If you get too warm you can take a layer off, and you are also not breaking the bank. 9 chances out of 10 you already have everything.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Cabela's Whitetail Extreme MT050. Comes in camo only, so not for all occasions. However, the technology of this versatile outdoorsman's coat allows warmth at -10 F. or lower by itself in my experience. It's very light weight for the warmth you get, a big plus even if you get wet. I bought one years ago and it's amazing. Not cheap, be ready for sticker shock. I have other coats but this is the best when the weather gets brutal.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm going to go a different route with my recommendation. Here in AK ... Thermal underwear added ... will work for me down to -30 to -40 on hunting trips.

Layering and long underwear will generally work better than light clothing and one big parka. But if you want the parka to wear over your t-shirt and stay warm, Canada Goose.

I suggest not a "bomber" style that leaves the butt exposed to the elements. CYA, literally, with a longer style coat.

No jacket recommendation, but I do advise you to check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com. I'm not affiliated in any way; I've just bought lots of outdoors gear from them over the years, and saved a ton of money in the process. They'll have Marmot, North Face, Columbia, Mountain Hardwear and many other brands. I'd be stunned if you couldn't find something there you like at a price that will agree with you. Being a Nebraska boy, I do have a fondness for Cabela's (even remember being in the original little shop in Sidney, NE back in the day), but great deals there can be hit and miss. Sierra ALWAYS has plenty of crazy deals. Stay toasty!

Columbia and North Face (both with liners and I think TNF calls theirs Triclimate)for something along the lines of a ski jacket. You'll get sick of either of them before they actually break down, tear etc.

Another vote for Marmot. I have their Ama Dablam jacket (bought at STP in fact). Amazingly warm 850-fill down, super-lightweight and packs small into its own pocket.
I actually look forward to really cold days so I can wear it and laugh in winter's face.

Top Bottom