What's new

Recommend me a WARM Winter Jacket.

LLBean & Lands End are really good values.

I'd personally second the Marmot - you do pay more, but it's at least competitive if not better than other "performance" brands, and my Marmots are great at letting you use your arms without the jacket riding up or binding. Not something I usually think about, but I sure noticed it trying jackets out at REI. The Zeus from Marmot looked pretty darn nice to me.

I wear a Patagonia down sweater because it's super warm, and super light. It isn't water resistant which is a downside, but I keep a Burton snowboarding shell in my car for slushy days. I reserve my Coveralls for the "feels like -35" windchill days. Good luck on your search and watch for those post christmas sales! I got my Patagonia on o2gearshop.com for something like 45% off after christmas 4 years ago.

I'm going to go a different route with my recommendation. Here in AK the Carhart Extreme series are popular. While they are not very thick they are warm in large measure to the wind and water proofing. This and a wool sweater/fleece will keep me warm down to around -20. Thermal underwear added to that will work for me down to -30 to -40 on hunting trips. Maybe I'm more used to the cold but these are highly recommended.
The jacket is my main winter coat and while it's not stylish it is rugged. I've had mine for 6 winters and it's just now needing to be replaced.

+1. Carhartt's "Arctic Extreme" or whatever was the warmest coat I've ever owned. Totally impenetrable and totally bombproof. Ample pockets FTW!

You could try a North Face outlet. I have a 700 fill down jacket that zips into a Goretex shell parka. Super warm (I live in Wisconsin), and waterproof when using the parka. The setup will last for many years.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm really considering a marmot. Does anyone know which stores carry this line. I'd like to be able to try on a couple of the styles.

I've had a Land's End down coat for 15 years or more. I got in high school, I think my freshman year and I've been out for 11 years... Anyways. I've taken it camping and snow shoeing and it was my go to coat when I lived in South Dakota (granted if it was above 20 I didn't need it.

I think the coat cost my parents $60 or $70 at the time. They haven't gone up too much since then. I may replace it this year or next if I can find a deal on a new coat.

I was a longtime Land's End customer going back to the early 80's. They carried fairly priced clothing that was well constructed and made with quality cotton, fleece and wool. Over the years they cheapened their line considerably using inferior materials and shoddy tailoring. You can still find decent quality shirts if you are familiar with their product line, but not much else. Sears killed Land's End reputation. Their clothing line more closely resembles the quality of a JC Penney or Walmart today. Luckily Sears has turned Land's End loose. Leadership needs to rebuild the name.

Land's End is not alone as LL Bean's quality has also been compromised. They once carried quality products made in the USA. Only a few items are currently made in the USA-their duck hunting boots, a few belts, canvas bags and a few shirts. LL Bean continues to use name branded materials in their fleece and waterproof clothing. Their return policy is stellar. That being said I never buy anything without examination at a LL Bean store.

Some people like goose down and some people like synthetic down like Primaloft. I find Primaloft works better in humid conditions in the East. The link below has a jacket on sale at EMS. It can be worn alone, layered over fleece or worn under a soft shell; so it is a very versatile piece of clothing. It is very light compared to wool but warm. It has zip pits to vent moisture which is very important when you are active in the cold. I have a LL Bean version of this jacket which works very well in the cold. This jacket is heavier weight Primaloft in the body and sleeves and has zip pits which the LL bean version does not have. I will be looking into purchasing one.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18055716&lmdn=Gender

There lots of brands to choose from. Unfortunately you usually get what you pay for (I had to learn this the hard way). I'd stick with the big brands like Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Patagonia, Columbia and some cases, The North Face. You can usually find pretty good deals on Marmot and Mountain Hardwear online. I'd definitely look for a down insulated jacket between 500 and 800 power down.

This year my daily drivers are a Patagonia down sweater jacket I snagged last Spring at a clearence sale at Dick's. 700 power down and it's pretty lightweight. For the really cold and snowy nights here in Chicago I use a North Face Mcmurdo Parka which I got several years back. It's around 600 power and it's built like a tank albeit a bit heavy. But it's one of the few TNF jackets I really like.

I'd also check out Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line. Pretty nice stuff plus you get a lifetime warrenty and EB is always having sales, especially now.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nearly anything listed above except North Face, I can't stand that pretentious shoulder logo.

Nothing beats leather for breathable wind protection.

I bought a Lands End jacket with waterproof Gortex shell and polar fleece liner about 15 years ago. It is my work jacket and it still works great. My wife would like to throw it away because after all these years it doesn't wash up as nice as she would like, but it's a work jacket and it gets dirty, so who cares. It keeps me warm AND it still keeps me dry in the rain. I wear it all the time when I'm in New York too, works just as good there as it does in Wisconsin.

Patagonia down sweater is pretty much my daily winter jacket here in Maine. When things get silly cold, like they will later this week, I switch to a LL Bean shell with a snap in fleece underneath. Does a better job blocking wind.

Look at LL Bean. Not just pimpin our native business. They have a really nice UL 800 fill lightweight down coat like my Patagonia, only much cheaper. Also much more bombproof jackets. Lifetime return guarantee can't be beat.

I spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter, and although I've far from experienced all the jackets out there, I've never worn anything that even comes CLOSE in warmth to the Maine Warden's Parka from LLBean. It is ridiculously warm. It is so warm that if you are walking / hiking even in frigid cold you run the risk of sweating. But for standing around outside in one place for a very long time in the cold winter, nothing I've ever worn beats it. Don't even think about wearing this coat if it is above 20F. If it's below zero, then it's great. If it's above zero and very windy, it might be a good choice.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6576...ex&attrValue_0=Warden Green&productId=1075747

Top Bottom