What's new

Recommend me a shaving brush

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Switched to shaving with a brush and proper shaving soap a couple of years ago – partly because I thought it looked cool, partly because I was fed up of cutting myself so much.

Anyway, sometime later it still definitely seems like the way forward, but my cheapy Men-u brush (from Boots) has started shedding bristles.

Any recommendations on what to replace it with?
Some of them are silly money $200!!!!!

I don't really want to pay more than $40…

Welcome! I was in the same place not long ago.

I recommend two brush types: boar and badger. Boars run half the price of a comparable badger. Omega and Semogue offer wonderful boars, but my personal favorite is the aluminum-handled 27mm Zenith boar. IM me if you would like help finding one online. For a badger, a little patience will get you a gently used, hand-tied Simpson Duke 2 Best from this site's Buy-Sell-Trade (BST) forum. Note: "Best" and "Pure" are Simpson designations for badger hair quality. Go with "Best."

Either option will get you a high-quality brush that is within your budget, will delight, and will last a long, long time.

No matter what brush you end up buying, please share your decision and enjoy the journey!

SRAHBB-7091-2.jpg
SIMD2_Simpsons_Duke_best_badger_brush_x1024.jpeg

Few useably tips for you, if you want to bow lather, booth boar and badger are fine. Bigger brush is faster making lather.

If you want facelather, i highly recommend buying boar, suffer the boars first 50shaves. You can skip this by bowl lathering with it, until its soft for face (50+shaves).

If you want badger for face, well, you have to buy silvertip to be enough soft, and price range is more to 100€, and gotta be sure that it is soft...

If you end upp buying badger and find that it was cheap, and scrubby, not useable for facelather, so it will still be good for bowl lather.

West Coast Shaving has a very nice 26 mm Silvertip with a faux tortoise lantern handle.
During one of their sales you can usually get this for below $50.
I think they also have a 1 time discount code if you sign up for their email list - pretty sure it's an extra 10% off.

I've bought 25 brushes in the past dozen years. Not a fan of boar and most synths. I favor my 2-band badgers. I had 3 synths over the years, but the only one I still own and use is a RazoRock plissoft synthetic. The other 2 synth were too prickly. I probably could have saved a lot of money on brushes over the years, if synthetics were this good when I started.

Top Bottom