What's new

Recommend me a replacement razor

Thanks, WarEagle, I just wondered. I agree with your assessment, but based on some of the other things the OP said, I was surprised that the R41 was on his list and thought it was a bit too much of a leap. BTW, have you tried the ATT S2 (or S1)? I think it's a wonderful compromise between comfort and aggressiveness, but I didn't suggest it above because of the cost, which seemed to be out of line with the OP's other choices.

Never tried an above the tie not because of any other reason but price, and I've been too busy buying up other less expensive razors. However I've been eyeballing one att model for about a week (the big one). However I'm running out of room and it may come down to me selling a few razors to free up space to add another. I just don't know what I want to go.

As far as the How to grow a mustache symmetry it seems to possibly be a cadet or pearl head, with possibly a custom handle. That handle IMO is worth 30 dollars by itself the knurling is deep, and it's heft is spot on the razor balances itself. The symmetry is just a hair shorter than the 39c and a tad lighter but better balanced.

For 29.99 the PAA/HTGAM symmetry is a fine razor. IMO the F&F surpasses merkur and is on par with edwin jagger, but the symmetry has an awesome handle. The heads are Zamak but the handles are chrome brass. Its more aggresive than my slants, actually it's about as aggressive as the fatip. I had an r41 in my cart last week, but opted for the 39c to go with my 37c, and the symmetry, for a longer heavier alternative to the fatip, and so far I'm very pleased.

Are you referring to the first three razor at the first row?
http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/safety-razors

Looks pretty interesting. Double OC ? Not expensive also. How are these as compared to slant and r41 ? Need to have a benchmark :)

Gillette New, either short or long comb version. Buy a user grade sample and, when you fall in love with it, have it replated. Or if you don't love it, sell it for about what you paid.

Why everyone is recommending the New?

Looks pretty interesting. Double OC ? Not expensive also. How are these as compared to slant and r41 ? Need to have a benchmark :)

I was referring to the second. The symmetry. It's more aggressive.
there have been reviews for the double OC but they all say it's mild. Like more mild than and EJ or 34c.
I live the symmetry. Very efficient.

Great shaver. Efficient without being too aggressive. Brass construction so it will last 100 years more than the 80 it's already lasted.
Just some of the reasons I like it.

new is kinda rare I believe. How is the aggresiveness comparred to slant and symmetry?

new is kinda rare I believe. How is the aggresiveness comparred to slant and symmetry?

I wouldn't say rare, but maybe a bit more money than let's say a tech or superspeed. It's less aggressive than the symmetry, but more than the 34c. I don't have a slant so I can't comment. Forgot to grab one before my restraint.... lol

The double open comb is a mild razor, the razor I'm referring to is the symmetry open comb for $29.99 , Compared to a slant I'd say if the 37c is 6.5 then the 39c would be a 7 the symmetry is a solid 8 on the aggression scale. IMO it's just as aggressive as a fatip, but smoother and better handling. The fatip is only a small step down from an r41(so I've heard never used one). I've been comparing the fatip and symmetry and it's too close to call for me as sometimes one feels more aggressive than the other in different places. I paid 30 for my fatip and 33 shipped for the symmetry and looking at both razors at basically the same price I regret the fatip,but that's what you get for buying on impulse. If I can help you any more shoot me a pm. Oh the symmetry is the 2nd razor in your link.

On youtube nick shaves does a beard off shave comparing the 37c slant to the symmetry open comb. I would post a link but I'm on my phone and not sure how. Anyway he has 1 month growth and puts the 37c up against the symmetry, and both perform well but the symmetry wins, it mows down a beard fairly easily. If I keep endorsing this razor Ole Douglas Smythe needs to send me some free stuff,I know I keep mentioning the razor but it's that good and it's on the less expensive end.

The double open comb is a mild razor, the razor I'm referring to is the symmetry open comb for $29.99 , Compared to a slant I'd say if the 37c is 6.5 then the 39c would be a 7 the symmetry is a solid 8 on the aggression scale. IMO it's just as aggressive as a fatip, but smoother and better handling. The fatip is only a small step down from an r41(so I've heard never used one). I've been comparing the fatip and symmetry and it's too close to call for me as sometimes one feels more aggressive than the other in different places. I paid 30 for my fatip and 33 shipped for the symmetry and looking at both razors at basically the same price I regret the fatip,but that's what you get for buying on impulse. If I can help you any more shoot me a pm. Oh the symmetry is the 2nd razor in your link.

Aren't fat tip razors chrome over brass though?
I love my symmetry, but I'm sure it's zamak, or at least the head is. If it's true about fattip being chrome over brass or nickel over brass I'd like to get one.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Why everyone is recommending the New?
Because it's an astoundingly good razor. While not particularly aggressive, it's very efficient. I can get a one pass DFS on just about every spot on my face without trouble out irritation (and the spots I don't are mostly because of my technique, not the razor). Throw in the cost and longevity, and the NEW is hard to beat.

Because it's an astoundingly good razor. While not particularly aggressive, it's very efficient. I can get a one pass DFS on just about every spot on my face without trouble out irritation (and the spots I don't are mostly because of my technique, not the razor). Throw in the cost and longevity, and the NEW is hard to beat.
Yup, what TexLaw said. Many of us here believe that the New was the pinnacle of DE razor design. I use other razors, as well, in my rotation, but the New is hard to beat, and impossible to beat at its price point.

Aren't fat tip razors chrome over brass though?
I love my symmetry, but I'm sure it's zamak, or at least the head is. If it's true about fattip being chrome over brass or nickel over brass I'd like to get one.

Fatip are all brass construction with different plate finishes - nickel, chrome, gold tone, gun metal, etc...

Fatip are all brass construction with different plate finishes - nickel, chrome, gold tone, gun metal, etc...

Nice. I like the idea of that. Gillette lasted the test of time with plating over brass. I'm sure fat tips will too.
that's on my list now!!!
just to double check, even the base plate and cap are solid brass.?

Truth is IMO there hasn't been a bad suggestion on here yet. That whole ask 100 people get 100 different answer deal kind of comes into play. We know the r41 is the most aggressive razor, followed by the fatip which IMO the symmetry is its equal in aggressiveness. The 39c and 37c are fine razors and I've took all razors from my bathroom except the 39c and symmetry. The slants especially 39c for me are that good and even if I have razor burn I can still use the slant daily where is with an OC I might haft to skip a day. IMO one needs 3 razors and this is just me. Open comb for quick shaves or days when I'm in a hurry. Slant as my daily driver and a super speed for those little hairs under my nose that look gone under lather and even feel gone but once I wash all my lather down the sink I see the 3 I always miss. That's my winning combo but YMMV.

Great shaver. Efficient without being too aggressive. Brass construction so it will last 100 years more than the 80 it's already lasted.
Just some of the reasons I like it.

Thanks guys.

OK I think I would go for the New. The search is on..
And the razor helped sealed this decision too http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/447949-Safety-Razor-of-the-Month-March-2015-Gillette-NEW

I have already posted a WTB at BST. Any specific NEW version that I should take note of or all of them are fine?
How much would I be expected to pay for a well taken of one compared to a user grade?

Thanks.

Top Bottom