What's new

Recommend me a prosumer camera! Sony RX100, Fuji X10, or Panasonic LX7!

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with any of these cameras? I mostly do street photography and I travel alot. Also I would need something that works well in low light. Now I know the RX100 has the biggest sensor and so on but then I read this from cameralabs.com

"The RX100's lens has a maximum aperture of f1.8-4.9 which is two thirds of a stop darker than the LX7 at the wide angle lens setting and the gap widens as you zoom in. This allows the LX7 to use lower ISOs under the same conditions with the same shutter speed, especially when zoomed-in, which while not placing them neck-in-neck in effective noise, does narrow the gap. The closer focusing distance of the LX7 also allows you to achieve a shallower depth of field in macro shots, despite the RX100's bigger sensor and longer actual focal length, although the RX100 claws back some of that when it comes to portraits at more typical distances. Either way, its not a runaway lead for either model in the shallow depth of field stakes."

The Fuji I've heard has the white orb issue and with all these cameras I need to order them online since I'm about two hours away from the closest photoshop that has any of these cameras. I currently own a Canon s90 but the autofocus has been annoying me and taking pictures with low lighting is not up to my standard. I used to own a canon 40D but I can't deal with lenses and I'd like to keep as low key and light as possible. If anyone can make a good case for each camera, That would be great. I know the RX100 has rave reviews everywhere, but it is almost 200 more than the other two ( well here in Korea). Thanks!

Legion

Staff member
You can't go too far wrong with any of those three. My favourite is the Fuji, but I'll admit a lot of that is due to the looks and interface. I think the retro style is very familiar to people like myself who began with old range finder cameras.

The picture quality (or at least file sizes) will be bigger out of the sony. But the controls, and also the lack of an optical viewfinder lose some points for me.

For low light the Lumix has the fastest lens on the market at the moment, f1.4 at the wide end, but it also has the smallest sensor of the three. You can buy a viewfinder for it, but they are really expensive.

If I were to buy one it would be the fuji, even though I own a Lumix LX-3, and have been very happy with it. I have been tempted to buy the x10 since it came out, and I still might, although now i'm having a hard time resisting going the whole hog and saving up for the XE-1 with a 35mm 1.4.

I think I'd probably go with the Fuji as well. If you are willing to spend $500 more, go for the X100 though.

Depending on what you are looking for, the Canon Powershot "G" line of cameras are no slouch either. They are bulkier than the ones you mention. It does offer very good manual control.

You don't like the Canon s90? I have an S95, and really think it is great. Fits in pocket easily, and I thought it handled low light situations fairly well.

Let us know your final choice.

Top Bottom