What's new

Recommend me a knot

I was thinking about purchasing a brush handle by itself, so I was trying to figure out what knot I could put in it. It takes a 22mm knot. I know there is places like WD, TGN, EnvyShave etc. that sell knots but there is so much to choose from, that's where I need help deciding. Looking for either a badger or synthetic knot that is 22mm. Soft, little to no scritch, decent backbone, splays easily, just an all around good knot. I was looking at the ubersoft 2 knot but I've heard it is not that soft?

Hi [MENTION=78763]justino_14[/MENTION]! I don't have any experience with individual knots but I'm sure someone will be by shortly to give you some help. I believe both Larry and WD and Rudy Vey can walk you through a knot choice and even set it for you.

Another pair of sources is ACE and Virginia Sheng on ebay. I've had good luck with both.
I have had excellent luck with Virginia Scheng as well. Have seen ace but never used them.
I'll tell you what may be nice if your open to it. PC Woodcraft has a horsehair knot in the exact size u need and it is the softest horsehair knot I have ever used. I have one I put in a handle that is a staple in my brush rotation but I liked it so much I bought 2 more to have on hand as horse knots are a tougher find.
Also I don't know about now but about 2-3 years ago I bought a 2 band badger from woodcraft that is among my best knots and holds its own with my most expensive high end brushes. Perhaps someone that has used them more recently can chime in. Have fun!!

Sorry I mispoke above, u want a 22mm, the WC horse knot is 24 and that used to be the only size they had. Sorry about the misinfo!

If you want the best: Shavemac

I have a 2-band Silvertip - AMAZING

But his finest grade is often regarded as the best bang for your buck and better than a Simpson Best

Shavemac is as far as I know the only company that ties their own knots AND sell it to the public.

I have a Nathan Clark Envy White - great knot with tons of backbone

If you want to go budget: The Golden Nib is well regarded and of course Whipped Dog.

That's mostly Badger - I am not well versed with synthetic, although I do have a Whipped Dog for travels.

Just be sure to get your measurements are correct - knot diameters (Shavemac at lest) are measured at the plug and not the opening of the handle.

Top Bottom