What's new

Recommend me a good blue ink for my 3 FPs. . .

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I enjoy Lamy Blue. It is a beautiful royal blue. It isn't expensive and the bottle comes with a free roll of blotter paper! In my experience, it plays well with all pens and flows freely without being overly wet.

Yup, great stuff. I highly recommend this well-behaved ink.

proxy.php

$7.50 for 50ml

How about Akkerman Shocking Blue? It's a cool ink in and of itself (rumor has it that it's made by Diamine), but it comes in a great bottle. It's a Codd-neck: there's a glass marble stuck in the neck. You tip the capped bottle on its side and the ink flows around the marble into the top of the neck. Tip it back upright and the marble drops back into place, closing off the neck. Uncap the bottle and fill up your pen from the ink trapped up above the marble.

Ive almost brought myself to buy a bottle of that many times Chris, but man shipping to canucktown isn't the nicest

Aurora blue (a must have!)
Pelikan 4001 blue (the classic blue ink)
For the 3rd I would suggest an American ink ... no advice from me there, unfortunately.

I like Namiki (Pilot) Blue, and from their pricey Iroshizuku line, Asa-Gao. Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher is also a nice color, but not as water resistant as claimed, in my limited experience. But with all the blues mentioned, this may already be information overload.

You mentioned that when you tried to get the Kaweco converter, it was out of stock. That was a blessing in disguise. I've found that mine basically doesn't work, sucking up hardly any ink. I've seen similar comments from other people, so I don't think it's just me. If you feel adventurous, you could try the advice here to make your own converter for the Kaweco Sport, or you could "eyedropper" it, coating the section threads with a little silicone grease and filling the barrel itself up to just below where the inner threads start. There is a video on this here. This method has its fans, but frankly, I prefer not to do it myself.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I currently have a ... Kaweco Classic Sport.

I have been using only the ink cartridges exclusively. I tried ordering a kawecoconverter but it is currently out of stock.

Consider this:

If you get ink samples from Goulet, you can dump the sample vial right in the Kaweco body without even needing the syringe or eyedropper ... but one of those will be handy once you settle on a bottle of ink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom