What's new

Recommend me a Chelsea boot?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
not looking to spend a ton, but, at the same time I would like a boot that will stand against time with proper maintenance. Any recommendations?

ooof too expensive

I am not sure which prices you are looking at. You should be able to get them from BS for say $189. Their list price of $400 or whatever does not seem to have much to do with what their shoes actually sell for.

This would be more dress shoes than blundstones, of course.

Allen Edmonds has a pretty good sale running right now. I like the fact that they offer a wide range of sizes - I can get shoes that actually fit me properly “off the shelf”. With sale prices, still not cheap but some top quality shoes are good value prices IMO.

I think that with a Chelsea boot, it is important that that they be built of a decent leather. Particularly with a gloss/polished finish.

With nothing to break up the vamp and no throat, there's a large surface of leather and cheap leather can make the boots look like a pair of rubber galoshes.

I was at a conference this weekend and one of my colleagues was wearing a pair of blundstone Chelsea boots. We were talking about how to break in and care for leather shoes (I feel like I spend a lot of time thinking about this!) and he mentioned that they were the lightest pair of boots he'd ever owned. To prove his point, he pulled one off and handed it to me. I have to say, I was very surprised. It looked like a rugged boot and appears to be put together very well, but it hardly seemed to be there at all. For the most part, I'm a fan of fairly stout footwear. Even so, I bet these would be great to wear.

Thanks for that input, TNG. I had no idea. That is very much of interest!

(I feel like I spend a lot of time thinking about this!)

You and me both.

Re Chelsea boots--and forgive me if this is a repeat--it seems to me there two main types with variations in between. There is the rugged, work, farm, ranch-type, which I tend to think of as Australian, right or wrong of me. Heavy or heavy appearing, perhaps, lugged, soles of one type or other, perhaps rough leather uppers. Then there is the dress boot--English, Beatles, Mod, London in the 1960s-type. Smooth or pebbled leather, thin leather soles. AE, for instance, seems to make different models that tend in each direction. BS, so far, only the latter version. I think I like both styles, but I own neither, so far. TNG has me interested in those Blundstones though.

I was at a conference this weekend and one of my colleagues was wearing a pair of blundstone Chelsea boots. We were talking about how to break in and care for leather shoes (I feel like I spend a lot of time thinking about this!) and he mentioned that they were the lightest pair of boots he'd ever owned. To prove his point, he pulled one off and handed it to me. I have to say, I was very surprised. It looked like a rugged boot and appears to be put together very well, but it hardly seemed to be there at all. For the most part, I'm a fan of fairly stout footwear. Even so, I bet these would be great to wear.

I agree that the blundstones are very light. I wear them all day and don’t get tired. I’ve worn them in rain and snow and never had any water leaks. Perfect for Canadian winters.

I've had a few pairs of Blunnies over the years and enjoyed them. I have heard that they have moved production to China these days and the quality has dropped.

So, when I needed a new pair, I took a look at the Australian made Redbacks. Very similar to Blunnies and built like the proverbial brick outhouse! Love my Redbacks. Think they were cheaper too so win win.

Gareth

Recs such as these are always better if you can give us a pricepoint you are after.
Under 50? Under 100, Under 200 etc.

In my mind the Blundstone is a fairly thick and chunky work boot. RM Williams makes both a chiseled toe and a more dressy thin rounded one which is called the Sydney.

They are fairly pricey but they will last for years and can be re-soled.

If you want a cheaper, sleek alternative - I have a pair similar to these from Rodd & Gunn (they have a few stores in the US) and have been pleased with them:Link

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have a pair of the winter Blundstones and they are fantastic, I rub obenaufs lp on them every so often and they are good to go. Would recommend. I do beleive Blundstones also come in steel toes and diff toe shapes, but you'd have to look on their website to check.

I have a pair of the winter Blundstones and they are fantastic, I rub obenaufs lp on them every so often and they are good to go. Would recommend. I do beleive Blundstones also come in steel toes and diff toe shapes, but you'd have to look on their website to check.
I have the chisel toe version. They look great casual or even just a little dressed up.

Had the steel toe version maybe 10 years ago? Lasted me 5 years of 6 day a week work week. Leather got scuffed on the toe obviously but the treads and the fit was perfect.

Big bonus is that they come with extra insoles, you can tailor your fit to be more snug if you like.

IMG_2407.JPGIMG_2409.JPGThese have been very nice, the leather looks new even after regular wear. Made by FRYE

Top Bottom