What's new

Recommend me a cheap but hard working pen

I've been switching out between the 701 and the Jotter. I used the 701 this morning for some book work and then carried the Jotter in my pocket. Both have worked fine, but twice the jotter has come unscrewed while in my pocket. There was no damage, but it's become clear that the 701 is more sturdy.

As the title says please recommend to me a cheap but hard working pen. I need a replacement for my pocket pen. It'll live in my pants pocket with my keys and pocket knife. It'll be used for taking quick notes, filling out forms, signing papers etc. I don't need fancy. I need durable because it will see rough use and cheap because I'm a miserable bastard as the Scots would say.

I finally ran out of my cheap plastic Papermates. They're the kind that you used to see everywhere---white body with a black press on cap. About 17 years ago WalMart clearanced them out for 15 cents for a package of 20 pens, so I bought all they had. I found that they were the most durable because the plastic flexed instead of breaking.

In college I carried Zebra click pens, but I kept breaking them in my pocket. The stainless Zebra F-701 looks promising. I'm looking for any suggestions, but realize I'm asking about a sow's ear in the silk purse department. :)

Thanks
you can modify the 701 to take a parker refill, and most folks do the mod and use Space Pen refills.....

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thanks, I just ordered a dozen black fine just for nostalgia's sake. $20 for a dozen fine and $15 for a single medium. I went for fine. Hope they are as good as I remember.
I have the fine and medium and on blue the line is darker on fine than medium. Black, both fine and medium are good.

You have to look around a bit, but they should all be less than 20 for a dozen.

I like them because they are small and perfect for pocket or coat or just about anywhere. No they aren't as smooth as the Uniball Jetstream, but they are better than many ball points.

Here is a great article on the company and employees and the pens

Some very cool key points

The spec sheet for the US Government Pen is a whopping 16 pages long and includes features that would make James Bond proud.

• Must lay down no less than one mile of ink
  • Must write in extreme temps ranging from 160 degrees to -40 degrees
  • Ink must survive two applications of bleach
  • Ink must have 5 second dry time with no smudging

Anything in use for five decades is bound to have its fair share of off-label uses, and this pen is no exception.

• Military MacGyvers have used the tube of this pen for emergency tracheotomies out in the field.
  • The metal nose-tip is equal to the regulation length fingernails can be in the military, so it’s been used as a standard for measurement there.
  • When the two barrels of the pen are unscrewed, the center ring is revealed, and this has been used as a makeshift wire-holder.
  • Lay the pen on a flight map, and you’re looking at 150 nautical miles.
  • The bottom of the barrel is the exact length of a two-minute fuse.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have the fine and medium and on blue the line is darker on fine than medium. Black, both fine and medium are good.

You have to look around a bit, but they should all be less than 20 for a dozen.

I like them because they are small and perfect for pocket or coat or just about anywhere. No they aren't as smooth as the Uniball Jetstream, but they are better than many ball points.

Here is a great article on the company and employees and the pens

Some very cool key points

The spec sheet for the US Government Pen is a whopping 16 pages long and includes features that would make James Bond proud.

• Must lay down no less than one mile of ink
  • Must write in extreme temps ranging from 160 degrees to -40 degrees
  • Ink must survive two applications of bleach
  • Ink must have 5 second dry time with no smudging

Anything in use for five decades is bound to have its fair share of off-label uses, and this pen is no exception.

• Military MacGyvers have used the tube of this pen for emergency tracheotomies out in the field.
  • The metal nose-tip is equal to the regulation length fingernails can be in the military, so it’s been used as a standard for measurement there.
  • When the two barrels of the pen are unscrewed, the center ring is revealed, and this has been used as a makeshift wire-holder.
  • Lay the pen on a flight map, and you’re looking at 150 nautical miles.
  • The bottom of the barrel is the exact length of a two-minute fuse.
Fascinating indeed. It is refreshing to see the Government doing some good for deserving people. Thanks for the info,

The Pilot G2 is available in 1.0 wide, .7 med, .5 fine, and .35 ultra fine. I like that they write smooth and lasts long. I use the cartridges for metal bodied pens which costs considerably more.

The Pilot G2 is available in 1.0 wide, .7 med, .5 fine, and .35 ultra fine. I like that they write smooth and lasts long. I use the cartridges for metal bodied pens which costs considerably more.
Pilot makes some good pens. I really love their V5. I know the OP was looking for an inexpensive, durable pen that can handle being carried around in a pocket. I used to carry the V5 in my pocket my pocket all the time when I was in high school and the only time I ever had an issue was when I accidentally forgot to put the cap on one time

The black ones marked “Property of US Government” 🥰 best ever and they wrote every time in any position.
I've looked around for them but it seems that unless I'm willing to spent around $50 for a box I'm not going to get any to Canada. Question: I sometimes drive by an air force or army base around cities when traveling in the States- Can a non-military person go to the base to buy those pens from the PX? I'm guessing not but thought I'd ask.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think earlier in the thread I posted a recommendation of Kaweco. I would also include the Platinum Plaisir. I already had a Procyon in Fine so went with the medium. I think until you are the next level up from the Procyon they use the same nibs.

I found fine a bit too fine and the medium is more like a European medium than a Japanese medium. There are several pluses on why I like Platinum. They make a couple of inks that are more permanant, the black especially. While they do use their own proprietary cartridges you can get a converter but I like the Platinum ink just fine.

I insist on only ink that will withstand water so that means only a few choices in cartridges outside of Platinum and of those they are only in International short. So personally, since I like the Platinum ink, and it comes in a bigger cartridge it's a very convenient pen for on the go. Additionally, Platinum pens don't dry out if unused nearly to the extent other fountain pens do. So if you are only an occasional user or have a large collection, Platinums don't need much use to stay ready. The Plaisir is $15. Recommended!

As the title says please recommend to me a cheap but hard working pen. I need a replacement for my pocket pen. It'll live in my pants pocket with my keys and pocket knife. It'll be used for taking quick notes, filling out forms, signing papers etc. I don't need fancy. I need durable because it will see rough use and cheap because I'm a miserable bastard as the Scots would say.

I finally ran out of my cheap plastic Papermates. They're the kind that you used to see everywhere---white body with a black press on cap. About 17 years ago WalMart clearanced them out for 15 cents for a package of 20 pens, so I bought all they had. I found that they were the most durable because the plastic flexed instead of breaking.

In college I carried Zebra click pens, but I kept breaking them in my pocket. The stainless Zebra F-701 looks promising. I'm looking for any suggestions, but realize I'm asking about a sow's ear in the silk purse department. :)

Thanks
The LAMY Safari is an absolute workhorse of a fountain pen, as is the rollerball but, as for the ballpoint pen, I cannot say. But if it is half the pen as its big brothers are then it is an excellent choice. All three come in about fifty different colors, take the Lamy Ink Cartridge (LT10) or bottled ink via the (LZ24) Converter (not included with pen purchase) both of which are proprietary. As a fountain pen addict and collector, I do not use ballpoint pens & it took me a while to even get a rollerball but, those two models are basically indestructible, so I am going to assume the same goes for the ball point pen. The pen will run you about $16.00 at Goldspot.com & comes with one black ink cartridge as well as a blue one & one cartridge will last quite a long time. I really suggest giving it a try you cheap miserable bastard. Who knows if you'll go to the rollerball or even the fountain pen in the future & stop writing with 15 cent pieces of garbage. For shame.
Whichever pen you decide upon I wish you well.

I really suggest giving it a try you cheap miserable bastard
LOL. Finally someone who speaks my language. I refer to myself as a miserable bastard from time to time. It's not my fault I've got deep pockets and short arms.

I've been switching back and forth between the all stainless steel Zebra 701 and Parker Jotter pens mentioned earlier. I tried the US Government ones but they had a tendency to unscrew in my pocket too often. I mostly prefer the Zebra as it's built like a tank and will not unscrew accidently. The Jotter does have an easier flow though.

TUL (pronounced tool). Office Depot/Office Max House brand. All their pens are great some don't last too long but the ones that don't only cost about a buck fifty. The retractable ballpoint (which in 'not' a gel pen, I hate gels) is a real workhorse. Form meets function This whole pack pictured is about 20 bucks.
1693103626709.png

My Bank I bank with has great free pens. Last time I had nice pen was late 60’s forget the brand, but you filled with bottle that had ink well.

Recall back of pen twisting, fill fang went into inkwell, as you turned knob back to close fang sucked up ink, and retracted.

LOL. Finally someone who speaks my language. I refer to myself as a miserable bastard from time to time. It's not my fault I've got deep pockets and short arms.

I've been switching back and forth between the all stainless steel Zebra 701 and Parker Jotter pens mentioned earlier. I tried the US Government ones but they had a tendency to unscrew in my pocket too often. I mostly prefer the Zebra as it's built like a tank and will not unscrew accidently. The Jotter does have an easier flow though.
Be happy, it isn't that difficult. As to the bastard issue, I'm not sure what to say or do about that. I know nothing about ballpoint pens though Parker has been making some sweet fountain pens for almost ever & I know that I own at least two, probably four or five because I have deep pockets & long arms & will buy a vintage or modern fountain pen, simply because I like the way it looks, even though I probably own a least a hundred vintage fountain pens & about the same number of modern ones. Yes, I am a fountain pen addict in need of an intervention, or I'll just keep on with my buying. Screw it, you only live once & if it makes me happy why should I stop & become miserable? It's my money, I worked hard for forty-plus years for it & I'll spend it as I see fit.

I've been switching back and forth between the all stainless steel Zebra 701 and Parker Jotter pens mentioned earlier...
I have both and I find Parker Jotter too thin/slim and it tapers the wrong way. Very uncomfortable when writing for extended periods of time, that is. If you use your pens to just sign documents, I imagine the Jotter will do.
I mostly prefer the Zebra as it's built like a tank and will not unscrew accidently...
I can confirm that, as Zebra is the pen I use every day.
The Jotter does have an easier flow though.
The refill has nothing to do with the pen itself. You can get the pen that is most durable/heavy duty/hard working pen and then choose a refill that suits your style/requirements.

I use ball-point refills in my Zebra and it is pretty smooth: BR-1B-F-BK (Japan import Komainu-Dou original packaging). I buy them by the box of 10 from Amazon when on sale.

Last edited:
The Pilot G2 is a good pen, but a little on the pricy side for disposable pens. I've always had a soft spot for the Bic Cristals - maybe it's nostalgia.

It's hard to get cheaper than free - but there's a catch. With any 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's Ink, a free pen is included. It's extremely durable and actually a pretty nice pen. It's a higher up-front cost but the bottle and pen should last many, many years. Nathan, the man who runs the company, is an extremely frugal and value-oriented man, and that shows in his products. He claims that, with the volume of ink, it is likely the most cost effective pen.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Why not stick with the Papermates? Their Inkjoy line I quite enjoy, comes in both retractable and not.

Top Bottom