What's new

Recommend good weapons for defense against bobcat, coyote, mountain lion

Move to Michigan. Everyone else is leaving, and our coyotes are well fed on wascally wabbits and field mice.

AND you can carry any time you want where I live.

Seriously though, that sucks. Your state government is less than ideal for self protection without breaking the law.
Why are they leaving? I'm thinking of moving.

Legion

Staff member
I too live somewhere where I am not allowed to carry anything intended to be used as a weapon, for self defence or otherwise. I think a heavy walking stick is about your best option if avoiding police attention is a primary concern. Get one with a heavy, solid head, and if needed swing it like a bat at the animals head. At least that will give you a few extra feet of reach, which a knife will not.

Cold Steel make some intended for this sort of thing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Why are they leaving? I'm thinking of moving.
Jobs. I'm NOT leaving. We've decided to gut this old homestead (only house/place I've ever lived, true story) and have just one big old open floorplan. It's amazing what you can do with money and a house you own free and clear. Then I'm gonna move in with @ackvil for three and a half months of the year. I hear he's lonely.

Honestly, I will bet you that you cannot find a more perfect state in the Union than Michigan. Not crazy about our Governor, but that's why we have elections.

But really, Detroit is now an absolutely beautiful city if you like Sports (I like mine on TV, I'm old) and our Great Lakes rival just about any oceans I've ever seen. Skiing, both water and snow.

The truly ONLY thing I do not like about Michigan is our "Grey days"..... I'm not sure, but I think we have less sunny days than anywhere else in 'Murica.

Another interesting note: my urologist said it's nearly impossible to get bladder cancer anywhere besides the greater Saginaw Valley. It's also nearly impossible to get bladder cancer if you don't smoke. His theory: a lot (okay maybe EVERY, lol) Shop Rat werkin' for GM is a smoker, and the valley traps pollutants, and the job sites were not exactly catering to air quality back in the day...... so you have a perfect storm for a rare cancer.

But the cost of living ain't New York City high, and if you have quit smoking and chasing wild women (I married one and reformed her) WE WANT YOU to come live in Michigan, where most of the Sheriff's like guns, in small towns like mine the police actually enjoy their jobs, and our homeskooled kids like mine are beginning to try to change this screwed up Kountry.

*I'm FarmerTan, and I approve this message, vote for me for Guvna, early and often, and I promise I won't do much, and I don't have a boat and won't try to get it in the water by taking cuts in the line, but I will fish with any fatherless children any day of week if I can still draw a guvmint paycheck and can fish from the dock.....as long as I'm being paid to be a Guvna I might as well do something productive.*

@FarmerTan Well my gov. isn't any better (OR) and we have lots of gray days on the westside. At least you have a chance at a good gov. once in a while it's a lost cause here. I miss shoveling snow weird I know. Like to cut firewood and steelhead fish, I think Michgan has both. :)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan Well my gov. isn't any better (OR) and we have lots of gray days on the westside. At least you have a chance at a good gov. once in a while it's a lost cause here. I miss shoveling snow weird I know. Like to cut firewood and steelhead fish, I think Michgan has both. :)
Yeah, it is EXTREMELY sad how your state has taken a turn in such a short amount of time. Used to be a nice place. My favorite great unkle retired there. A great human. He was a hillbilly that served in WW2 and never went back to the south. Lived and werked for a bit in Michigan, then he and my Grampa and their spouses moved to California in the 50's back before it went nuts. Then he fell in love with Oregon in the 1980's. One of my biggest disappointments is I never visited him there. Kalifornia really is a wonderful place. I cannot imagine the expressway I was on in the 70's today near LA. It's gotta be crazy now.

Living in Michigan had one great advantage: it's really not nearly as bad as most of us make it out to be, so I really am comfortable in complaining about how much I hate the weather (as I sit on an uncrowded beach, or next to my woodstove, looking out a window at a wild turkey or 20 walking through my backyard, or a beautiful falling snow on a blanket of white......)

Yeah, I really need to quit being a whiner. I'm getting way too good at it. THAT is what comes from "grey days".... it affects your grey matter!

Last edited by a moderator:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The problem is that laws are made for cities and applied to rural areas. Two completely different worlds in my opinion.

If you are attacked by a big cat or wild canine and you do not have a gun you had better be prepared and capable of fighting for your life hand to claw.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
🎯

I need whatever I can get that gives me THE ADVANTAGE.
In California I would carry the largest fixed blade allowed by law in a sheath that allowed quick access.

even a box cutter or sheetrock knife will do a lot of damage in short order. The problem with a blade of any sort is you are just as likely to cut yourself in an emergency situation as you are your attacker (2 or 4 legged) without a good bit of training.

Please verify all this yourself - this is not legal advice. My understanding is:

You can't possess a stick, club, or bat that's intended for use as a weapon, even a defensive weapon. That's a "billy."

You can't possess a cane sword.

You can't carry a concealed fixed blade knife of any blade length.

You can carry a concealed folding knife of any blade length so long as it's carried closed, is not a switchblade or other illegal type of knife, is opened by thumb pressure on the blade or a stud, and has a spring, detent, or other mechanism that biases the blade toward staying closed. E.g., you could carry a Spyderco Military so long as all parts of the knife are concealed, including the pocket clip.

For Los Angeles County:

You can't carry a knife in plain view with a blade length of 3" or more, unless you have a legitimate vocational, recreational, or religious purpose.

I don't know how being in Angeles National Forest affects the above.

CA Penal Code on Deadly Weapons:

Los Angeles County Code (see Title 13, Division 8):
^This!

@Eben Stone, I'm also a Californian, though I've also lived elsewhere. I'm pretty familiar with the weapons laws (including some caselaw) of our fair state, I would recommend you also familiarize yourself with them if you plan on carrying any sort of weapon.

Quite a bit of what you stated before was just flat out incorrect. There is no statewide restriction on blade size for folding knives, though other restrictions may apply (though local restrictions may apply). Also, as a general rule, in California, publicly carrying a stick (for self-defense purposes) is illegal. Knowing what the law prohibits also means you know what the law doesn't prohibit. Frankly, there are instruments that you can legally carry in public, if you're familiar with the laws.

Along those lines, if you're interested in a CCW permit, you might be able to get one more easily from the San Bernardino County Sheriff than from the LA County Sheriff.

If you'd care to discuss the matter of California weapons laws some more, please send me a private message.

Eben Stone

Staff member
...Quite a bit of what you stated before was just flat out incorrect. There is no statewide restriction on blade size for folding knives, though other restrictions may apply (though local restrictions may apply)...
I admit my original post wasn't worded very well. 15 minutes is not enough time to find and fix typos because I don't usually notice them until the next day after someone responds.

I was talking about Los Angeles county, which does have a restriction on knive length.

I think part of the confusion maybe that I'm asking for two different things, but at the same time hoping the answers are the same. What should I use when I'm in my backyard, and what should I use when I'm outside walking my dogs. I like the idea of a stick and knife for the backyard, but I know those arent going to be legal to cary around outside where I live. Maybe my enthusiasm for these items was misinterpreted.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Would it be illegal to use trekker’s poles? Most of them have a pointy tip that you use to get purchase in loose soil. You can cover the tip with rubber cleats for use on pavement. They are, by design, made for hiking but would also do fairly well as a weapon if needed. Most are made from fiberglass but you can find solid ones if you look. The pics are of mine. You would only get in a few good licks before they shattered, but most predators will *usually* go after easier prey once they realize you can hurt them. You could also stab with them if needed. If you do ever have to use them you just say “it’s a good thing I had my trekker’s poles with me.” That sounds better than “I have this knob headed club that I hike with.”
AEC3E12D-5A9A-4986-92B6-F892F99409CB.jpeg66F91041-7178-41EE-B908-E73C12D79F62.jpeg

A cane with a concealed sword for when your outdoors and a sharp katana for the backyard.

Canes with concealed swords/knives are specifically prohibited in California and Arkansas. In most other states they are banned under the general prohibition of concealed/disguised weapons.

You might be able to carry a machete used for harvesting sugar cane. However, check with local ordinances for clarification. Machetes are generally considered to be agricultural tools and are exempt from most weapons laws. I have one I use for pruning branches. Another agricultural tool that might be effective at keeping animals at bay is a short handled hoe or weeding fork.

Check to see if discharge of any type of firearm is legal in your community. I live in a community where it is prohibited. They even have microphones set up throughout the community so that they can quickly triangulate the location of any gunshot so police can respond quickly. I can use an air rifle on my own property as long as the projectile does not cross the property line. Carrying it down the street would be illegal.

You might want to contact your local animal control department to express your concern and ask them what steps you can legally take to protect your self and your pets from animal attacks.

I have a video surveillance system to monitor my backyard. I have spotted coyotes along with racoons, opossums and skunks looking for food. I have a cat who would love to explore outside, but she is pure white and would be an easy target for Cooper Hawks during the day and coyotes as night.

The problem is that laws are made for cities and applied to rural areas. Two completely different worlds in my opinion.

If you are attacked by a big cat or wild canine and you do not have a gun you had better be prepared and capable of fighting for your life hand to claw.

I agree with that. That said it is really weird seeing coyotes hanging out everywhere in SF like glorified trash pandas ( aka raccoons ). That said the coyotes here seem a lot smaller ( not much bigger than foxes ) than I remember them to be on the east coast . maybe they are all pocket sized to be able to fit into their tiny city apartments ;).

FarmerTan

Here's my advice. Check yourself in to the local ER with an old sword. Or anything sharp, but comically so. If you can find an old Civil War/war between the States outfit (depends on which side you wanna be on). It wouldn't hurt if you just asked an orderly if she has spoken with General Grant lately. Then make certain you are a VOLUNTARY commit to the Psych Ward.

You'll end up with a decent little vacation, and you can sign yourself out after you apologize for the inconvenience you caused, etc.

Then this is the tricky part: be seen in your yard about a week later dressed up in your outfit, carrying that sword. The cops will come, you tell 'em that you are werking on a book, and are trying to get into character. They ask you what time of day it is, you look at the sun and tell them the time. How old you are, who the president is, etc.... Then they leave.

The next day you do the same thing. And the next. By the end of the week, you have a rapport with the cops, the neighbors have a REPUTATION with the cops, and you can start carrying any sharp object you want in your neighborhood. Problem solved.

Good luck my friend! (Don't try this unless you are FULLY committed to seeing it through to the end!)

FarmerTan

P.S. I should have mentioned that you tell the Psychiatrist that you are working on a novel about the Civil War and you had not had any water to drink and think you were dehydrated. ALWAYS make it easy for a Doc to come up with a diagnosis. They ALWAYS have too many patients. They will be glad to have your bed taken up by the next one.

Top Bottom