What's new

Recommend good weapons for defense against bobcat, coyote, mountain lion

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think anyone here should be able to make one of these:

proxy.php
Handy for the zombie apocalypse

Not sure if a dazzer ultrasonic repellent would work. They work on grey makaak monkeys and stray dogs so far. But I know from experience only close range and doubt if it will keep an aroused animal at bay…

And meanwhile the Dutch environmentalists are getting fuzzy feelings we have euro wolves back in the Netherlands and the farmers are not allowed to shoot them. New European laws pending on this.

Attachments

• CED03B33-8820-4214-B30C-975AD10DE59E.jpeg
    CED03B33-8820-4214-B30C-975AD10DE59E.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 1395577

Not foolproof, as a few times things have escalated, but my early warning system has been working steadily the last 13 years. Bears coming down the mountain, plenty of coyotes and the occasional cougar, not to mention aggressive birds of prey. I feel safer when she’s with me (most always) fearless, loyal and certainly got us out of a jam more than once. Also pulled us in more than once, but I’ve got her back. Luna…
This is a great idea. I have read more than once that the second best defense tool to a gun is a dog. I imagine one that is well trained enough not to leave your side to chase after stuff.

Mostly Los Angeles county (extreme north), Angeles Forest, Northwest county. Sometimes Kern county.
Please verify all this yourself - this is not legal advice. My understanding is:

You can't possess a stick, club, or bat that's intended for use as a weapon, even a defensive weapon. That's a "billy."

You can't possess a cane sword.

You can't carry a concealed fixed blade knife of any blade length.

You can carry a concealed folding knife of any blade length so long as it's carried closed, is not a switchblade or other illegal type of knife, is opened by thumb pressure on the blade or a stud, and has a spring, detent, or other mechanism that biases the blade toward staying closed. E.g., you could carry a Spyderco Military so long as all parts of the knife are concealed, including the pocket clip.

For Los Angeles County:

You can't carry a knife in plain view with a blade length of 3" or more, unless you have a legitimate vocational, recreational, or religious purpose.

I don't know how being in Angeles National Forest affects the above.

CA Penal Code on Deadly Weapons:

Los Angeles County Code (see Title 13, Division 8):

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Considering where you live, the only thing I can think of is...move to a free state.

We have about the same critters here. Coyotes are heard every night, but after a few years of getting .22 lead slung at them whenever they get within 50 yards of the house they learned. 12 ga. with a weapon light by the front door for the bobcat that has been on the front porch more than once in the last few months (he's gonna be a rug), and when I go check the game cameras on my property I usually have a .44 Special on me in case I walk up on a cottonmouth or a few wild hogs.

I don't know the laws there, but if what @johnnylighton posted is correct you're screwed. I can't believe laws would put YOU at risk. Since Cali is so anti-gun I was going to suggest what someone else already said...a LONG stick for a walking staff...sharpend at one end. Cover the sharp end with something like a walking cane rubber tip that you can slip off quickly.

Legion

Staff member
I think I would go with Mace. If it see's off a bear I would imagine it would work on most animals.

What I wouldn't want is to be trying to fight a mountain lion with a knife.

You want to keep your distance as much as possible from a critter that has a lot faster reflexes than you.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Seriously, I wonder how my dogs would react if I sprayed "predator pee" wolf urine around the outside walls of my yard.

This one is super interesting to me as we just we just moved to SF from the east coast. On the east coast coyotes are rural hunters. I am dumb founded to see coyotes hanging in golden gate park and city intersections like glorified dogs , sometimes randomly taking away pet cats.

Avi

Bear Spray. If you can't get it in CA bet you can in NV. Most of y'all are buying your ammo in NV anyway already right? Old woodsman trick - YOU pee the perimeter of your camp. Claim your ground.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Move to Michigan. Everyone else is leaving, and our coyotes are well fed on wascally wabbits and field mice.

AND you can carry any time you want where I live.

Seriously though, that sucks. Your state government is less than ideal for self protection without breaking the law.

Top Bottom