What's new

Recommend an electric razor for a long-time cartridge user to try?

44 years old. Sensitive skin. I shave with a cartridge on Monday and Thursday right now and find that I'm great all day and at least through half of the day after. Off Wednesday so skin gets a break that day and on weekends. I was using Gillette Fusion for years and a badger brush with Proraso soap in a bowl then finish with Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Switched to Shick Hydro 5 Sensitive last year whcih I think I like better but am suddenly getting lots of irritation hours after the shave that is lasting a day or two without any obvious burn. Hair is not curly. Almost always shave right after a morning shower. Tend to do two passes with the grain on cheeks, one pass with the grain everywhere else. Could never handle going against the grain. I tried a safety blade once years ago and just couldn't get a handle on it.

With that as background I'm starting to wonder if an electric might be better for my sensitive skin. I'm fine with shaving more and assume I'll need to on Tuesday and Fridays but wonder if I will be smoother on those days than day-old razor results.

Read some posts here and interested in a Braun series 5 I think as I prefer a Li-ion battery to NiMH. The Series 3 ProSkin sounds interesting as well. No clue how to choose the series let alone the multiple options within a series. No travel to speak of so would plug in the razor once a week or so.

Would love to hear some thoughts/advice on whether an electric is a good idea. Also, any pointers to using one would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Most of the electric makes offer a 30 or 60 day money back guarantee. There really is not telling whether you will prefer a rotary or foil style. I have a Panasonic Arc 5 and an lower end Norelco. The Panasonic was 4 times the cost of the Norelco and shaves about 20% better. I like both, could live with either. I ended up with the Norelco because the airlines misplaced my luggage for a couple of days and I went shopping. These days they gather dust as I shave with razors most often. The shave takes longer, isn't much better, but is more fun for me.

I recommend if you did get an electric use it dry, before you shower with a splash of Williams 'Lectric shave prior to the shave. For razors, the hydration the shower gives the hair makes it easier to shave, for electrics it just causes the razor to not glide as well across the hydrated skin.

44 years old. Sensitive skin. I shave with a cartridge on Monday and Thursday right now and find that I'm great all day and at least through half of the day after. Off Wednesday so skin gets a break that day and on weekends. I was using Gillette Fusion for years and a badger brush with Proraso soap in a bowl then finish with Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Switched to Shick Hydro 5 Sensitive last year whcih I think I like better but am suddenly getting lots of irritation hours after the shave that is lasting a day or two without any obvious burn. Hair is not curly. Almost always shave right after a morning shower. Tend to do two passes with the grain on cheeks, one pass with the grain everywhere else. Could never handle going against the grain. I tried a safety blade once years ago and just couldn't get a handle on it.

With that as background I'm starting to wonder if an electric might be better for my sensitive skin. I'm fine with shaving more and assume I'll need to on Tuesday and Fridays but wonder if I will be smoother on those days than day-old razor results.

Read some posts here and interested in a Braun series 5 I think as I prefer a Li-ion battery to NiMH. The Series 3 ProSkin sounds interesting as well. No clue how to choose the series let alone the multiple options within a series. No travel to speak of so would plug in the razor once a week or so.

Would love to hear some thoughts/advice on whether an electric is a good idea. Also, any pointers to using one would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

The major advantages of electric shavers is speed and convenience. The Braun series 5 would be a good choice. You might consider the new Braun series 6 which is designed for sensitive skin although it’s too new for any reviews. Generally, Braun shavers give a close and gentle shave. I recommend that whichever electric shaver you purchase you use it daily for at least a couple of weeks to allow time for your face and beard to become accustomed to the shaver. Also, you should shave dry first thing before washing your face or showering. Electric shavers work best cutting short hairs therefore shave daily as it shouldn’t take more then five or six minutes. You will probably have to make several passes in two directions to get a close shave using light to moderate pressure. Most of the shavers are waterproof and can be used wet with shaving soap. I use my Braun series 7 dry because it’s faster and I get a great shave with about a ten second cleanup.

The good thing is that Braun along with other manufacturers offer at least a 30 day money back guarantee. I think Braun’s is 60 days.

If you have any questions there is a good group of electric shaver users here on this forum who will answer your questions and offer their opinions.

Dont have much to add the wasn't said here or very recently in corresponding threads. I'm partial to Braun and find I get an equal result from a series 3 or a series 9, the 9 just has more features. If you are new to Electrics I suggest not dropping a huge amount of cash to start. Try a series 3, better yet try the 310s because you could get it today at your local Walmart for about $30. If you absolutely hate it, return it to Braun. If it's only 'ok' then keep it to the side, it's great for cold mornings, overnights, camping, keeping in the car for late mornings, etc. If you love it, upgrade to a better model and keep that as a back up or pass it along to a kid or family member.

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate the quick responses.

Just bought a Braun Series 6 6075cc from Amazon for $120. Will arrive tomorrow.

Does it make any sense to 'ease into electrics' by using this dry on days that I do not do a cartridge shave or just switch over 100%?

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate the quick responses.

Just bought a Braun Series 6 6075cc from Amazon for $120. Will arrive tomorrow.

Does it make any sense to 'ease into electrics' by using this dry on days that I do not do a cartridge shave or just switch over 100%?

For the first 3+ weeks I would suggest using just the Electric and resist the urge to touch up with your blade. Your shaves won't be as close (you may even get minor irritation) for the first week or two until your skin adjusts. If you bounce back and forth you'll never give the Electric the opportunity to shine. Many cartridge users try an electric, don't get as close a shave the first time, and dismiss it. Its a process.

Yes this break in period is also relevant with rotary-shavers. I think it would be ok to maybe use a tiny touch up with a razor if you have this one hair that is longer and looks odd. And just take that one.

Good choice - Braun has an outstanding lineup, and the general consensus is that foil shavers are easier on sensitive skin. I would agree on 100% electric - switching back and forth won't give your face time to adapt to the new shaving mode - even switching between different blades or cartridges with blade shaving requires an adaptive period. And nothing wrong with shaving wet with an electric (I do - a holdover from years as a DE shaver) - many find a wet shave more comfortable, and the advantage of an electric is that once your skin adapts to not having a blade scrape off the first layer, you can shave without water and completely dry without irritation or fear of getting cut with an electric. Don't try that with a blade! I still recommend a pre-shave (Williams, Lab Series, Freelette) even shaving "dry" with an electric, but many can just pick up an electric, shave perfectly dry and still get a close and comfortable shave. You will want to try what works best for you after you get comfortable with using an electric - there's no "right way" - and welcome to the club!

I've actually recently begun experimenting with Electric dry shaving twice a day as my hair grows very fast and my series 3 does like to miss some flat hairs. It only takes 5 minutes a pop so at 10 mins a day I'm still less then wet shaving.

I've actually recently begun experimenting with Electric dry shaving twice a day as my hair grows very fast and my series 3 does like to miss some flat hairs. It only takes 5 minutes a pop so at 10 mins a day I'm still less then wet shaving.

Good point about frequency to the OP - electrics by design are meant for shaving a short beard, the shorter the better. Foils are notoriously inefficient at shaving longer hairs, so modern foil shavers usually have a flat cutter in the head specifically made for cutting longer hair. Shaving daily generally keeps your beard at a length manageable by foil shavers, and at least every few days is a good rule. Rotary shavers can accommodate a longer beard, but neither type is really the equal of a blade in that respect. The true advantage of electrics is maintaining a clean-shaven face every day, quickly and consistently, with a minimum of effort and maximum comfort. If you shave once a week, or even less frequently, you might be better off with a blade.

I took a good look in the mirror at work at 5pm and saw a solid 5:00 shadow (granted it was 36 hours after my last shave). Not at all opposed to a daily shave - been unable to do so before due to irritation...

Best advice is to go with your new shaver for the first two or three weeks. Everything everyone else had suggested will get you started. Good luck.

First shave is in the books ;-)

Braun Series 6 (6075cc) arrived today with mail. Had it opened and charging in a few minutes (manual is annoying in its heavy use of pictures). Waited an hour. Used Williams Lectric Shave pre-shave. Washed hands and then shaved. It was really easy and enjoyable and comfortable. Razor got a little warm toward the end.

I realized as I went that my mapping was off and that a lot of the missed hairs were areas where I thought the direction was one was but turned it I was mistaken.

Finished off with rinse an Nivea after shave. Have to say, this shave was WAY closer than I ever expected from an electric. Feels as close or closer than my cartridge shaves (I never went against the grain due to my sensitive skin).

Plan on shaving before work in AM so we'll see how things go then.

First shave is in the books ;-)

Braun Series 6 (6075cc) arrived today with mail. Had it opened and charging in a few minutes (manual is annoying in its heavy use of pictures). Waited an hour. Used Williams Lectric Shave pre-shave. Washed hands and then shaved. It was really easy and enjoyable and comfortable. Razor got a little warm toward the end.

I realized as I went that my mapping was off and that a lot of the missed hairs were areas where I thought the direction was one was but turned it I was mistaken.

Finished off with rinse an Nivea after shave. Have to say, this shave was WAY closer than I ever expected from an electric. Feels as close or closer than my cartridge shaves (I never went against the grain due to my sensitive skin).

Plan on shaving before work in AM so we'll see how things go then.

Congratulations on your new shaver. I’m glad to hear that it gives you a close shave.

Unfortunately, Braun’s manuals are loaded with graphics rather than detailed text.

Not only does your face and your beard need to become accustomed to the shaver, but you need to learn how to use the shaver with your skin and beard type. Shaving against the grain shouldn’t irritate your skin if you use a light touch. The only way to optimize your shave is by trial and error and the best way to accomplish that is to shave daily for at least a couple of weeks until both you and your beard become acclimated.

Keep us informed on your progress.

For fun, I just lopped off all my hair again and I can shave my entire head, face, and neck (I only keep a moustache) with the 3 3050cc in 9 minutes to basically BBS. I'm fighting the urge to try the new models haha. My other 'hobby' is drums (great group over at the drummerworld forum) and the new snare drum I want to buy is just a little more then a new series 6 lol.

I love my arc5! I have sensitive skin as well, and find the Panasonic perfect. No issues

Edit:
I just checked out the pricing and it's insanely good now. I paid 120 last month it's now at a hundred (amazon)

3 week update: I love this thing!!!

My regimen has been to use Williams Lectric Shave and to wash hands while that 'sits' for the recommended 15 seconds. Then I shave and find that I am getting a closer shave than I ever did with a cartridge - especially on the chin area (note: I only was able to shave WTG before). I finish with Thayer's Witch Hazel and then shower. Start to finish with pre/post shave: 5 minutes

I now shave on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday and find that I am better 'groomed' for lack of a better term compared to my prior wet shaves on Mon and Thurs.

Zero irritation right after the shave or the next day (if I'm on an off day) vs cartridge where I was having irritation for days after lately.

It took 2 weeks for the hair to change and for the shaves to become faster/easier.

Only things I don't love are the inability to get a nice line at the sideburns. And the razor cleaning station is huge but, with a two sink setup, it's not a big deal at all.

Top Bottom