What's new

Recommend an aggressive razor

:laugh: As a member of the BOSC, I take that as a compliment, thank you. :001_smile

I use shims to make the blade more rigid (in my iKon Tek, R41, and others which have a large clamp distance [like your DE89 for example]). This is due to having coarse whiskers, which encourage blade chatter and bending in those sorts of razors. Fortunate people with average to fine whiskers don't usually suffer from these problems.

Vive la différence! :thumbsup:
I'm learning to like razors that clamp the blade out toward the edge, more than alot other razors that don't do that as well. Mostly where I can tell it is in the ATG situation.
I've go some tough whiskers, so I'm in the same situation as you more or less of to some degree I'm sure.

images.jpeg

I'm learning to like razors that clamp the blade out toward the edge, more than alot other razors that don't do that as well. Mostly where I can tell it is in the ATG situation.
I've go some tough whiskers, so I'm in the same situation as you more or less of to some degree I'm sure.

Though not DE, few razors do that better than shavettes that clamp the blade between two metal shanks like a Parker or with spring tension like a Sedef.

They are also as aggressive as it gets. All the blade exposure you would ever wish for and an infinite blade gap.

The closest shave I've ever gotten (based on how long it took before I could feel any stubble) was with a Fendrihan MK. II loaded with a Derby Extra. I'm afraid to try it with a Feather.

I was in a similar situation where I was looking for a more aggressive razor to replace my Merkur 34C which I bought about 7 years back. It is the only DE (or SE) razor I have owned till recently.

In the last 2 weeks I have purchased a new SE as well as DE razor. Currenly I am using the ATT SE1. Since it is SE the blades changed too. I kept the Feather brand and am using the AC Pro's. The difference between the Merkur and ATT is night and day. I did buy the more aggressive ATT SE2 plate but not even sure when (or if) I will need to use it.

The DE I purchased was the Rockwell 6S. However, I cannot really give much feedback on that one since I have not used it yet.

Guys, seriously! He has 34c and EJ. And you recommend to him the R41. It's like going from 3 to 10 in one leap. Have mercy.

And to the original poster: Doesn't that Parker Variant on the maximum setting shave aggressively enough?

I can get irritation from to mild and over shaving to get the hair. I can get irritation from to aggressive of a razor, pressure and other variables.
@ivan_101 had a great point. Just how much do you want to bump the aggressiveness up, say from where you are at? Razors with plates are a nice choice, sometimes.

Top Bottom