What's new

Recommend an aggressive razor

I have (from least to most aggressive) a Razorock SLOC, Razorock Old Type, Fatip Piccolo, and a Razorock JAWS in my rotation, all of which are good, but lately I've been using a Phoenix Artisan Accouterments Bakelite Open Comb Slant most frequently. Unfortunately, the BOSC is sold out on the PAA site and I don't know if or when more will be released, so you'd need to look on the secondary market for one.

Nearly the same Garrett. The Fatip has eleven teeth each side, the Schöne nine (thicker ones). I much prefer the Fatip's slim (open comb) teeth.
True, they're not exactly the same. I find the Schone to be just a bit less efficient, but not noticeable enough to recommend one over the other. I will say I had two Fatips about 3 years ago that had the blade alignment issues. My Schone doesn't.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
iKon Standard: I find it more efficient than R41, but with the better blade support I don't sense the same harshness.

When doing a side by side with the iKon Tech, the iKon Standard was smoother, but did not take a hit in efficiency compared to the Tech. I still like the Tech when I feel like wrestling with a beast, but prefer the results of the the iKon Standard.

I did not like the R41. I appreciate blade flex on milder razors, thinking it improves efficiency, but if the razor has more than a little exposure, flex gets out of hand real fast for me (I think it is a coarse hair thing - both the significant improvement in effieciency and having the flex ge out of hand fast).
+1 to this. :)

If you want to spend more than the Ikon B1 Standard, look at the Karve Brass with the F-OC or G-OC plate, the Blackland Blackbird or the Timeless 0.95. :)

If you want excellent efficiency coupled with finesse and a smooth shave, look at a Fatip Grande or Schöne (pretty similar - both made by Fatip).

If you want to play with a slant, look at the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. :)

Out of the dozen or so razors that I have the one that is by far the one that most keeps me on my toes is my SE Asylum Rx. Feels like pure blade.

My Karve with its open comb & F plate is my most efficient and smooth razor to date. More so than even my R41. But I’m not sure it fits the common criteria.

My Parker Variant Adjustable is a very close second and very common. If I spent more time with it, I might like it the most! My first pass is less aggressive. Then I ratchet it up for my second pass! Smooth.

Either way, both are blade dependent. Meaning the razors really react differently to different blades. It’s remarkable how much so.

Good luck!

iKon Standard: I find it more efficient than R41, but with the better blade support I don't sense the same harshness.

When doing a side by side with the iKon Tech, the iKon Standard was smoother, but did not take a hit in efficiency compared to the Tech. I still like the Tech when I feel like wrestling with a beast, but prefer the results of the the iKon Standard.

I did not like the R41. I appreciate blade flex on milder razors, thinking it improves efficiency, but if the razor has more than a little exposure, flex gets out of hand real fast for me (I think it is a coarse hair thing - both the significant improvement in effieciency and having the flex ge out of hand fast).
Interesting. This is not a razor that gets a lot of mention! They're in stock for about £65 at Connaughts... I'm intrigued as I already have an iKon Bulldog handle.

+1 to the R41. If you want to really go the extra mile, try the R41 2011 (although those seem fairly impossible to find these days). But even the regular R41 is plenty aggressive.

Ikon Tek. This is my most aggressive razor, and I use the R41 2011, Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, Blackbird open comb, Wolfman 1.35 open comb, etc.

The problem is not the razor. R34 or Parker variant give easy 3 pass BBS if you know how to. Getting more hardware does not help your technique.
br
godek
You see... I would argue with this to some degree! I can get easy BBS shaves from my R41 and my Fatip Grande with almost any blade at all... Obviously there are varying degrees of comfort depending on blade sharpness/smoothness etc.

However, I struggle to get an 'easy' BBS shave from razors such as the Gillette Tech, Schick G1 and Ever Ready 1912. That is not to say that I cannot achieve BBS, but they take more work/passes/touch up and this leads to greater risk of irritation for my skin.

Of course... YMMV.

You see... I would argue with this to some degree! I can get easy BBS shaves from my R41 and my Fatip Grande with almost any blade at all... Obviously there are varying degrees of comfort depending on blade sharpness/smoothness etc.

However, I struggle to get an 'easy' BBS shave from razors such as the Gillette Tech, Schick G1 and Ever Ready 1912. That is not to say that I cannot achieve BBS, but they take more work/passes/touch up and this leads to greater risk of irritation for my skin.

Of course... YMMV.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's bonkers!
:laugh: As a member of the BOSC, I take that as a compliment, thank you. :001_smile

I use shims to make the blade more rigid (in my iKon Tek, R41, and others which have a large clamp distance [like your DE89 for example]). This is due to having coarse whiskers, which encourage blade chatter and bending in those sorts of razors. Fortunate people with average to fine whiskers don't usually suffer from these problems.

Vive la différence! :thumbsup:

:laugh: As a member of the BOSC, I take that as a compliment, thank you. :001_smile

I use shims to make the blade more rigid (in my iKon Tek, R41, and others which have a large clamp distance [like your DE89 for example]). This is due to having coarse whiskers, which encourage blade chatter and bending in those sorts of razors. Fortunate people with average to fine whiskers don't usually suffer from these problems.

Vive la différence! :thumbsup:
You finding your GC efficient still? How much more work does it require than your Tech or R41 or Fatip? I won't mention the slant... :nono:

You finding your GC efficient still? How much more work does it require than your Tech or R41 or Fatip? I won't mention the slant... :nono:
Yep. :001_smile

As you are aware, I like "aggressive" razors. In general I (used to) find that razors with negative blade exposure mean more work; the GC84 has ±0 blade exposure (despite Italian Barber saying it has positive blade exposure).

I very much like the simple look (and rigid blade clamping) of the GC84 and although I struggled at first to get decent shaves with it... I decided the problem was me, not the razor (i.e. my technique, or lack of it). I decided to stop complaining and to do a Fixed Four with it in order to adjust my technique to the razor.

So now, no more work is required. :biggrin:

straight or shavette, you will understand blade angle. since you obviously have tried futur turned all the way up. try a gillette adjustable turned all the way up with feather

Top Bottom