What's new

Recommend a Vetiver Fragrance

Today I am wearing L'Occitane Vetyver - the only Vetiver I own. About 10 years ago, my trainer's girlfriend who was an exec at the company sent me a bottle because I told my trainer I like the scent when he was wearing it at the gym (she threw in a few other goodies - Cade balm and Eau de L'Occitane cologne which is also nice). Sadly the Vetyver is discontinued now.
Very sad that it was discontinued. I thought it was very nice.

Creed Original Vetiver
This is a slightly controversial scent. Luca Turin famously gave it one star and a one line review that was something like "Not vetiver." But Turin is famously not reliable when it comes to Creed. My recollection is that it is a nice, modern scent, but not very vetivery.

So I have decided to change up my fragrance a little bit since pretty much sporting Acqua Di Gio since college in the early 00s. As I have been checking out fragrances everywhere I am particularly drawn to vetiver fragrances. I don't know a ton about fragrances so I am learning. I really liked Terre D'Hermes after it dried a bit and then I quite enjoyed Tom Ford Grey Vetiver right out of the bottle.

I live in coastal South Carolina so I need a fragrance as a go-to that can handle the heat. What would you recommend between these two and what am I not looking at that I should be?

Thanks
If you like vetiver go with this.

64A41F8F-4486-483A-8EDA-37C61782957A.jpeg

I have the aftershave. It's high quality and very nice.

Nishane's Sultan Vetiver is an absolute gem. Dare I say, the *best* fragrance in my entire collection from an objective standpoint. It's expensive, retail is like $300 for a 50ml which is absolutely gross, but I paid like $110 last year from Jomashop, and I think they have it on sale fairly frequently. It's very, very strong so you really only need a couple of sprays and it'll last. Some have said that Sultan Vetiver smells like a much, much higher end version of Guerlain Vetiver. Some old frag heads have even said that it smells exactly the way that Guerlain Vetiver used to smell in the 60s when it first came out.

Also, if you can get the old 300ml bottle of Mugler Cologne, that's a really good easy to wear Vetiver fragrance for the summer. It was made to smell like a bar of soap that Thierry Mugler had smelled when he was on vacation in Turkey I believe, so it kinda just smells like a luxurious bar of soap. You can find good deals on the old bottle still, I got mine for like $60, and I've heard that the new bottles have really ****ty performance but I'm sure it still smells good.

Some old frag heads have even said that it smells exactly the way that Guerlain Vetiver used to smell in the 60s when it first came out.
You have my attention. I have some Guerlain Vetiver edt (or maybe it is even called a cologne, I forget) from what seems like the 70s or even 60s. It is in a Guerlain "beehive" bottle, if that helps anyone date it. I do not think I have seen a photo of this scent in that kind of bottle on-line. It smells very different from the current version. I would say more dirt, more funk. The way it smells different from the current version, I do not necessarily associate with vetiver. I do not know that it is my favorite vetiver at all, but I love it. $110 does not seem bad. I do not know Nishane at all.

I guess I had missed Mugler as being a vetiver.

You have my attention. I have some Guerlain Vetiver edt (or maybe it is even called a cologne, I forget) from what seems like the 70s or even 60s. It is in a Guerlain "beehive" bottle, if that helps anyone date it. I do not think I have seen a photo of this scent in that kind of bottle on-line. It smells very different from the current version. I would say more dirt, more funk. The way it smells different from the current version, I do not necessarily associate with vetiver. I do not know that it is my favorite vetiver at all, but I love it. $110 does not seem bad. I do not know Nishane at all.

I guess I had missed Mugler as being a vetiver.
It think until sometime fairly recently, Guerlain Vetiver was a "cologne", maybe even officially designated as an EDC on the bottle I want to say. You can still find bottles from the 2000s I think that say "Cologne", so I think you're probably right about it being a cologne back then most likely. I can't speak to what the old, old bottles smell like but that's what some have said about the Nishane, which is definitely a lot more earthy and photorealistic of vetiver than the current formulation of Guerlain Vetiver.

Nishane's Sultan Vetiver is an absolute gem. Dare I say, the *best* fragrance in my entire collection from an objective standpoint. It's expensive, retail is like $300 for a 50ml which is absolutely gross, but I paid like $110 last year from Jomashop, and I think they have it on sale fairly frequently. It's very, very strong so you really only need a couple of sprays and it'll last. Some have said that Sultan Vetiver smells like a much, much higher end version of Guerlain Vetiver. Some old frag heads have even said that it smells exactly the way that Guerlain Vetiver used to smell in the 60s when it first came out.

Also, if you can get the old 300ml bottle of Mugler Cologne, that's a really good easy to wear Vetiver fragrance for the summer. It was made to smell like a bar of soap that Thierry Mugler had smelled when he was on vacation in Turkey I believe, so it kinda just smells like a luxurious bar of soap. You can find good deals on the old bottle still, I got mine for like $60, and I've heard that the new bottles have really ****ty performance but I'm sure it still smells good.
Assuming these pictures are of the same one, this is what I have. It's one of my favorites for its uniqueness and originality. It's definitely a great frag to wear on hot days.

268ACB71-09E0-41C1-B88A-773820E18668.jpeg
FD5FA2D9-BAC3-4912-913B-E13BD2CBE621.jpeg

Top Bottom