What's new

Recommend a Vetiver Fragrance

Etro probably does not get enough love around here in general or from me. Generally high quality all around. I cannot remember a vetiver specifically, but I would expect it to be very good.

For that matter, there is Fat Electrician Semi-Modern Vetiver by Etat Libre d'Orange. Vetiver and vanilla, as I recall, although as I also recall some say they cannot smell much vetiver, but rather smell a simple woody accord. I think someone else commented that that is real vetiver folks are smelling and that is what real vetiver actually smells like. I remember liking this one ok, but I am not a fan of gourmands and this one comes across as very much a gourmand. I have mixed feelings about ELDo frags in general, but the quality of ingredients is there, and I appreciate the creativity.

Of mine, I like Guerlain, TdH and Creed.
No dis to your liking it, but as I recall Luca Turin's review of the current Creed Vetiver, and, actually, I think of the vintage Creed vetiver, which is held in high esteem around here, was "Not vetiver." I think there is some truth in that myself. But these are popular fragrances.

I'm late to the party, but after reading through this thread, there's a new TDH scent coming out that may interest the OP.

It's called Terre d'Hermès Eau Givrée.
The top note is Citron; middle notes are Juniper Berries and Timur; base notes are Mineral notes and Woody Notes

It doesn't have vetiver perse but sounds good.
I wish I knew the release date.

I am no expert on vetiver, owning only two. Guerlain Vetiver and Art of Shaving Vetiver Citron are the two. Both, to me at least, smell great. I reserve these for dress-up occasions, going out to dine, and family gatherings. Both are classy and exude refinement. I'm sure vetiver scents are a rabbit hole to themselves, just like many categories in fragrance and shaving. Because of that, I think I will stick to Guerlain and Art of Shavings' offerings. They have served me well, so I'm not going any farther. I also have Terre' de Hermes, which some of you have mentioned. I know there has to be some vetiver in it, but my experience doesn't say "vetiver" to me, like the two I mentioned earlier. My bottle is from 2021, maybe the vetiver note has been lessened in the 2021 version?? Still, TDH is awesome, whatever scent family it belongs to.

Last edited:
I am no expert on vetiver, owning only two. Guerlain Vetiver and Art of Shaving Vetiver Citron are the two. Both, to me at least, smell great. I reserve these for dress-up occasions, going out to dine, and family gatherings. Both are classy and exude refinement. I'm sure vetiver scents are a rabbit hole to themselves, just like many categories in fragrance and shaving. Because of that, I think I will stick to Guerlain and Art of Shavings' offerings. They have served me well, so I'm not going any farther. I also have Terre' de Hermes, which some of you have mentioned. I know there has to be some vetiver in it, but my experience doesn't say "vetiver" to me, like the two I mentioned earlier. My bottle is from 2021, maybe the vetiver note has been lessened in the 2021 version?? Still, TDH is awesome, whatever scent family it belongs to.
I agree with your every point, except the not going further! Great scents.

Previously loved the Guerlain Vetiver but was very disappointed with the last bottle I got, lacked depth and longevity.

Encre Noire is excellent value, real earthy vetiver although not the powerful beast I expected.

One lesser know vetiver I purchased some years ago and really enjoyed is Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez, a very clean, soapy vetiver which was phenomenal value, although looking online, I'm not sure it remains available. If it lasted longer, would be my number one.

Etat Libre D'Orange Fat Electrician EDP is good stuff but expensive and I don’t get a ton of vetiver as @The Knize mentioned above a couple of months ago. It is definately more woody than vetiver. I have a bottle and use it but not super regularly.

Hermes Terre Intense Vetiver EDP is excellent though as are all 3 Lalique Encre Noires.

Previously loved the Guerlain Vetiver but was very disappointed with the last bottle I got, lacked depth and longevity.
I am sorry to hear that. It has been a while since I had had any in a modern vintage and I generally love this scent. It has been reformulated like everything else over the years, and I used to be aware of the differences in fairly recent versions/vintages one to another. I have a fairly full bottle of it from what must the 1960s, maybe the 50s. The style is very different from any other I have seen. It smells very different from any modern version I have had. Certainly more powerful with greater tenacity, but the underlying scent is very different, too. I have liked all versions I have ever tried.

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire- My dress-up Vetiver. Class in a bottle.
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver- Wear to work vetiver. Won't offend anyone and has good performance.
Encre Noire Sport-Casual around the house vetiver. Great yard work fragrance.
Sunrise Vetiver by Franck Olivier-My "Dumb Reach" vetiver. Performance isn't the greatest but super cheap and smells great for a touch-up anytime.

I passed on buying a small bottle of the AoS vetiver citron at Marshall's a little while back, kindof kicking myself in hindsight. I remember reading a couple reviews from people that really didn't like it, but the majority seem to find it pretty pleasant and a small 1oz bottle would have been great to have around. Drat, thanks for reminding me ;-)

Guerlain Vetiver is pretty much what it says on the tin. Very little else too it, but a fantastic vetiver.

Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver just didn't last on me. Skin scent within 30 minutes and I never have longevity issues due to my skin that I can remember, even amongst other TF fragrances (I love Ombrè Leather and BDJ), but Grey Vetiver just didn't have the staying power you'd expect at that price.

Today I am wearing L'Occitane Vetyver - the only Vetiver I own. About 10 years ago, my trainer's girlfriend who was an exec at the company sent me a bottle because I told my trainer I like the scent when he was wearing it at the gym (she threw in a few other goodies - Cade balm and Eau de L'Occitane cologne which is also nice). Sadly the Vetyver is discontinued now.

Guerlain Vetiver is pretty much what it says on the tin. Very little else too it, but a fantastic vetiver.

Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver just didn't last on me. Skin scent within 30 minutes and I never have longevity issues due to my skin that I can remember, even amongst other TF fragrances (I love Ombrè Leather and BDJ), but Grey Vetiver just didn't have the staying power you'd expect at that price.
Grey Vetiver literally lasts all day on me. I love it.

If you can afford it, Creed Original Vetiver. if people smell this on you, they will automatically think you're a multi-millionaire and drive exotic cars.

I think its based on and reminiscent of mugler cologne (since discontinued and reformulated to something different) but creed takes it to another level.

19b09cec3fd192a68d329b1bc3c94436-hi.jpg

Top Bottom